Thread: article

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

article

Study finds no better odds using 3 embryos in IVF - Yahoo! News

Ok I have heard this before but doesn't it some how seem like an oxymoron:

"A new study of fertility treatment found that women who get three or more embryos have no better odds of having a baby than those who get just two embryos.
    They also have a greater chance of risky multiple births.

Maybe I am having a ditzy moment but to me it is like saying you have a greater risk of having multiples but at the same time you don't have a higher chance of getting pregnant. Is there a variable that they are not measuring?
    8/2013

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it makes sense. Obviously greater numbers of embryos would lead to a greater risk of multiple births. That to me is like saying if you put sugar on something it gets sweeter.

The other bit is just saying that, from what I gather from the article, the actual live birth rate does not increase based on the number of embryos put back. 3 embryos does not yield a higher live birth rate than 2.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The average pregnancy rate is just not better. No fertile woman(assuming they are doing IVF for GS) should ever transfer 3 embryos. It's not responsible at all.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I am missing something but when I read that, i don't think it's talking about PREGNANCY rates, I think it's talking about BIRTH rates. Like, your odds of taking home a living baby at the end of the process. Nothing about odds of pg, this is odds of coming out of it with a living baby.

As in, people put in 3 embryos and conceive triplets (or even more if one splits) and either a)do selective reduction or b)lose babies somewhere along the way and that overall, it doesn't GAIN you anything to put in 3 embryos at a time, because at the end of the day, your odds of a healthy baby are no better, plus you undertake all the risks involved in possibly conceiving triplets, having to decide/undergo SR, etc.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The opening sentence is a bit misleading. They are actually talking about the number of embies you transfer, not how many you get. Obviously more embies = more chances of transfer = more chances of a pregnancy.
    8 6 wishing for a
    Cycle 1 HRC in June 2011- cancelled cycle, no response at all.
    Cycle 2 at SART start stims Oct 10th Another cancelled cycle. No response.
    Cycle 3 at SART, started stims Dec 31st, cancelled AGAIN.
    Cycle 4 Donor eggs in South Africa May 2012, freezing and shipping to USA for PGD
    FET- 19th July- NT (only 2 normals, both boys)
    Cycle 5 Last shot- donor eggs at Genesis- Cyprus using his sperm sort, Jan 2013 BFN
    FET Feb 2013 BFP Miscarriage @ 6 wks.
    FET June 2013. On metaformin now for Insulin resistance. Mental health starting to border on insanity now. BFN
    FET July 2013. Last embie BFN

Cycle 6 Really truly last shot- Donor eggs HRC, planned all freeze Feb, 7XX frozen immune treatment for me
    FET May 2014 BFP Miscarriage @ 8 weeks
    FET Nov 2014 BFP Miscarriage @ 12 weeks
    FET Oct 2015 BFP Blighted ovum confirmed @ 8 weeks. Miscarriage.

SURROGACY!!!!! FET 1xx Feb 4th BFP, HB seen

My precious baby girl arrived Oct 19th 2016

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ok, Live birth rate. That makes sense.
    8/2013