Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Embryo Viabiity continued

If an embryo is shipped out of the lab for PGD testing is there more risk of the embryo being destroyed/not making it?

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by myangel2014 View Post
    If an embryo is shipped out of the lab for PGD testing is there more risk of the embryo being destroyed/not making it?
    Dear Myangel2014,

RE: Embryo shipping risks:
    The risks to the embryo from shipping are usually low if the embryo is prepared properly for shipping. Fedex, UPS and medical shippers all require the use of dry shippers. Dry shippers are special containers with a material that can absorb liquid nitrogen so that the container is held at freezing temperatures but without liquid slopping around in it. These shipping containers are different from the long term cryostorage containers in the lab which are huge thermos-like containers with liquid nitrogen filling them. If the dry shipper is not "charged" properly, meaning that the material is not filled to capacity with liquid nitrogen, then the container will warm and the embryos will begin to thaw under less than ideal conditions, killing them. If the shipper is misplaced in transit and sits on a loading dock somewhere or there are multiple flight delays and cancellations, then after a period of days, it will lose its charge and also begin to warm. Shippers can be mechanically damaged in transit, which also can destroy the cold environment of the shipper. But as dire as all these possible consequences are, most of the time, if the lab does its work properly and the shipping company and air transport all goes according to plan, there is no problem. I have never personally lost an embryo through a shipping mishap. However,I have experienced flight delays which resulted in test result delays which resulted in a delay in the embryo transfer requiring embryos to be frozen. The patient was hoping for a stat turnaround on the PGD test and a day 6 transfer. Instead her embryos were frozen on day 6 and an FET scheduled. I hate these 24 hr PGD fresh transfer offerings by some PGD companies because there is too much that can go wrong and usually does-and patients are always upset when they are promised something and then don't get it.
    RE: Risks of shipping test cells for PGD[/B]: But having said all that, normally for PGD, the embryo stays safely in the lab while a few of its cells are shipped off for PGD. So it is only these test cells that can be lost in transit--which would mean you would not get a test result for the embryos but the embryos would still be safe.
    If you want PGD done, in the vast majority of programs, this requires shipping of test cells. Few IVF programs offer in-house testing, although most programs do perform the biopsy (remove some cells) in-house, then ship them out for testing.
    Anyway, probably more than you needed to know. Good Luck! Carole

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never seen embryos leave the lab on here for PGD. Only the cell does. If your clinic cannot do that- biopsy the cell and send it out if they don't have an in house lab, don't cycle there.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums