Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thawing another clinics embryos

Hi Carole,

The following statement was taken from your website....

"When embryos are received from another institution, it is important that the accompanying documentation include information about the freezing media used so that complementary thaw media and methods can be used."

This is probably my biggest concern with my clinic right now.

If my embryos were frozen in one media and thawed in another then you are basically saying this is detrimental to thaw survival.

Can you please tell me how possible it might be to have the correct media sent to Australia. Does it require certain environment conditions, etc, which may make shipping great distances impossible?

Also, I was wondering if you can tell me if you have worked in different labs where the equipment used to freeze/thaw may differ from the lab before? Even right down to the straws they are frozen in, etc. How hard would it be for an embryologist to look at something, and know how to thaw it? I guess what I am trying to say is i'm worried about the differing techniques / equipment from one clinic to another.

Thank you for anything you can offer.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Persuing Lacey View Post
    Hi Carole,

The following statement was taken from your website....

"When embryos are received from another institution, it is important that the accompanying documentation include information about the freezing media used so that complementary thaw media and methods can be used."

This is probably my biggest concern with my clinic right now.

If my embryos were frozen in one media and thawed in another then you are basically saying this is detrimental to thaw survival.

Can you please tell me how possible it might be to have the correct media sent to Australia. Does it require certain environment conditions, etc, which may make shipping great distances impossible?

Also, I was wondering if you can tell me if you have worked in different labs where the equipment used to freeze/thaw may differ from the lab before? Even right down to the straws they are frozen in, etc. How hard would it be for an embryologist to look at something, and know how to thaw it? I guess what I am trying to say is i'm worried about the differing techniques / equipment from one clinic to another.

Thank you for anything you can offer.
    Hi Pursuing Lacey,
    It is true that not all freeze:thaw methods are compatible. But this problem is easily fixed through communication between the clinics. We routinely sent instructions along with the embryos as to the media to be used and method used for optimal thaw. We also let them know if the embryos are in straws or vials. Any good clinic will work hard to make the receiving clinic successful because not only is it good for their patient but it makes the shipping clinic look bad as well if the thaw is poor. So ask about how your clinics will ensure that the receiving clinic will be able to thaw the embryos successfully. I think that should put your mind at ease. Good Luck! Carole

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately I have already had one embryo lost to the receiving clinic. They have told me that the embryos viability is determined at freeze stage and that things mostly go wrong then. Eg - my embryo didn't survive the freeze, not the thaw. I was telling them I was thinking about sending them to another clinic, however she is adamant that what will be will be now they are frozen. Her words "things are now set in stone anyway". Can you tell me if there is any truth to this statement?

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Persuing Lacey View Post
    Unfortunately I have already had one embryo lost to the receiving clinic. They have told me that the embryos viability is determined at freeze stage and that things mostly go wrong then. Eg - my embryo didn't survive the freeze, not the thaw. I was telling them I was thinking about sending them to another clinic, however she is adamant that what will be will be now they are frozen. Her words "things are now set in stone anyway". Can you tell me if there is any truth to this statement?
    Hi Lacey,
    As a general principle, a good freeze procedure can be undone by a bad thaw and a bad freeze can't be saved by a good thaw. Both need to be done properly for the embryo to survive. Good Luck, Carole