Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Highly fragmented embryos what's the cause?

Hi Carole,

Maybe you can help me........ I have cycled twice and twice I got severe fragmented embryos. We still don't know why they are like that. The second time ICSI/PGD/spermsort I got pregnant with our second son.

We want to cycle again and we would love to add a girl into our family after our second son is born.

Maybe you know what can cause highly fragmented embryos? Is it due to a protocol or is there any other reason?

These are my embryos:

TIA
    image.jpg

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lisvna View Post
    Hi Carole,

Maybe you can help me........ I have cycled twice and twice I got severe fragmented embryos. We still don't know why they are like that. The second time ICSI/PGD/spermsort I got pregnant with our second son.

We want to cycle again and we would love to add a girl into our family after our second son is born.

Maybe you know what can cause highly fragmented embryos? Is it due to a protocol or is there any other reason?

These are my embryos:

TIA
    image.jpg
    Hello Lisvna,
    It is really impossible to know why your embryos have some fragmentation. Many factors, stim protocol, lab culture conditions and embryo heath (abnormal chromosome number can impact fragmentation) The good news is that at least two of your embryos are hatching in the photo you shared. This is a really good sign. Some fragmentation is something that we frequently see even with embryos that produce babies. I remember one of my first IVF cases, the patient had very severe fragmentation in every embryo. We didn't expect good results and had very little evidence to recommend one embryo over another for transfer so we put a large number of embryos in. We were all elated to find out that the patient became pregnant with a healthy singleton pregnancy and delivered a beautiful girl. So that taught me a very valuable lesson about morphology, especially when morphology is assessed intermittently (as opposed to new time lapse methods)-- you can be fooled if you rely too heavily on appearance. So, my point is, you have two hatching embryos which is a very good thing. I have seen worse fragmentation and pregnancies occurred so stay hopeful. I could not tell from your message whether you have a current transfer underway, but in any case- Good Luck!!!

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Carole! I'm currently pregnant with our second son (we put back 2xx and 2xy) and I will get 21 December a c-section. We wanted a girl so we are going to cycle again (probably in june) and then we put only xx back.

We wanted to know what we could do better next cycle so the embryos would be less fragmented......

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lisvna View Post
    Thanks Carole! I'm currently pregnant with our second son (we put back 2xx and 2xy) and I will get 21 December a c-section. We wanted a girl so we are going to cycle again (probably in june) and then we put only xx back.

We wanted to know what we could do better next cycle so the embryos would be less fragmented......
    Unfortunately, since the cause of fragmentation is not clear, there is nothing that I know of that you can do besides taking good care of your health and finding the best clinic you can to use for your cycles. Since you have done well with your current clinic, I think you are in pretty good shape. Best wishes for a smooth pregnancy! Congratulations.