Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chances of Twin pregnancy with only one Embryo transfered?

Hi I just wanted to know what are the chances of a twin pregnancy with only one embryo transfered? As i was told by my OB just after my second c-section that i have a very thin uterus, and she advised me to consider not having a third and if i did i would need to be closely monitored and she would need to deliver the baby 4-6 wks early, which makes me really nervous about the risks if i were to have twins. Any advice would be great.

Hopefully 2014

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bump
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The chance of twins is very low from a single embryo transfer but not impossible. You can search PubMed online - use search twins "monozygotic twins IVF" and you will get a lot of studies on the probability of monozygotic twins in general, not specifically from single embryo transfer. Having identical twins from one fertilized egg (monozygotic twinning) is more likely in IVF compared to the general population. Having said that, the probability is still low, less than 4% in the studies I looked at. So for a 100 transfers resulting in pregnancy, you can expect 1-3 cases of identical twins. This fits well with my own clinical experience. If you transfer more than one embryo, you will increase your risks of twins. Transferring only one is the least likely path to twins. I would certainly discuss your OB's concerns with your RE before you have your next embryo transfer. Best Wishes, Carole.