Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is thawed semen as good as fresh?

Dear Carole Wegner. My DH and I are going for our first IVF-PDG-treatment in May, but because of logistic reasons my DH has to go ahead of me and leave his semen sample which will be used later that week for when I have my ER. But I am afraid that I might reduce my chances of success if I use thawed semen. Is the thawed as good as fresh when it comes to the ability to fertilize? Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my question.
    3 beautiful & now pregnant with a baby girl due June 2017

Thank you everyone in this site and in particular Atomic for amazing support during my sway. I am for ever grateful.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsister View Post
    Dear Carole Wegner. My DH and I are going for our first IVF-PDG-treatment in May, but because of logistic reasons my DH has to go ahead of me and leave his semen sample which will be used later that week for when I have my ER. But I am afraid that I might reduce my chances of success if I use thawed semen. Is the thawed as good as fresh when it comes to the ability to fertilize? Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my question.
    Dear Dreamsister,
    It can be as good as fresh, especially if you are doing ICSI- which you likely are because of the PGD- so you only need one good sperm per egg and even a less than ideal freeze/thaw should provide that. I would not be too concerned about having to use previously frozen sperm. Good Luck!! Carole

3. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post