Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question for Dr Carole - cell loss during thaw?

Hi Dr, my long-awaited transfer is coming around soon and I am so very anxious about our XX embie surviving the thaw. A few recent cyclers at my clinic have experienced significant (30%+) cell loss after the thaw and I am worried that this is common? Is this just bad luck or does embryologist skill come onto it?

Thank you in advance.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    luxelover- you should look at their SART stats. It will make you feel better- https://www.sartcorsonline.com/rptCS...linicPKID=2557

81% live birth rate for FETs is pretty solid.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi luxe, I'm by no means Carole but did work as an embryologist in a couple different fertility clinics in my past life before becoming a SAHM.

Cell loss is pretty common after a thaw, especially if the embryo's quality wasn't perfect prior to freezing. Comparing thaws and resulting embryo quality from a few different people is really comparing apples to oranges. The embryos probably varied in quality to begin with so are likely going to come out of a freeze differently than another person's. I'd want my FET to be done at a clinic with an 81% live birth rate. That's pretty amazing.

Embryologist skill could come into it I suppose, but any reputable clinic is not going to allow an inexperienced embryologist lay their hands on someone's embryos unless they've demonstrated superb skill on "practise" mouse embryos over and over and over again. Also, most clinics keep stats on individual embryologists and track results after every procedure. Continual checks are done to ensure skill is consistent between individuals. Also, keep in mind that there can be a few embryologists handling your embryo(s) on thaw and transfer day alone. A thaw is a highly controlled and closely timed procedure. You can rest assured that the embryologist will likely be watching their timer like a hawk and doing everything possibly to get your embryo nice and plump and pretty again. Remember, those poor embryos have been through a lot to be able to sit unharmed in a tank of liquid nitrogen at -196 celcius!
    (2010) (2013 LE sway opposite) HT (HRC 2018)

Cycle 1 HRC Nov 2015: 9 retrieved, 6 mature, 5 fertilized, 4 biopsied, 2 normal XY = NT
    Cycle 2 HRC Mar 2016: 13 retrieved, 12 mature, 11 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 6 normal = 5 XX, 1 XY!
    FET #1 Aug 2016: Chemical
    FET #2 Nov 2016 Immune protocol: BFP! HB at 7 and 10 weeks. No HB at 12 weeks Miscarriage.
    FET #3 Aug 2017 Immune protocol: BFP!
    arrived May 2018

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Mathilde liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by luxelover View Post
    Hi Dr, my long-awaited transfer is coming around soon and I am so very anxious about our XX embie surviving the thaw. A few recent cyclers at my clinic have experienced significant (30%+) cell loss after the thaw and I am worried that this is common? Is this just bad luck or does embryologist skill come onto it?

Thank you in advance.
    Hi Luxelover,
    30% cell loss is really high for vitrification. Are they using slow freeze protocols?- this is more what we saw in the bad old days before vitrification. With vitrification and warming procedures- and a good technician- little or no cell loss is what you should be able to expect. Yes, embryologist skill - or rather adequate training does come into it. Usually, patient embryos must meet certain criteria for freezing- either based on appearance or functional criteria - like progression to the expected embryo stage on time. So really poor quality embryos wouldn't be frozen at most labs. Maybe a follow-up call with the lab director/embryologist to discuss your concerns would be helpful. Good Luck! Carole

6. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post