Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

What to look for in a lab for blood test gender prediction?

Hi Carol,

I am putting the horse before the cart here as i am yet to conceive.
    But have heard that there is a good likelihood of the accuracy of blood test's to determine gender.
    I've seen the other thread in regards to this, but my question is around what to look for in an organisation to know wether they are conducting these tests correctly and therefore accurately?
    Im in australia so would prefer to use a local organisation, what sort of questions can i ask about their facilities and testing methodologies to try and determine company is most likely to deliver the most accurate results?

Here is a local companies i have found

http://www.nimblediagnostics.com.au/...852C8/home/gen
    Last edited by Lassie1982; March 4th, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
    Mummy to DS10 who is the light of our world
    Swayed took us 8 cycle's and I'm finally

Please be a sticky little bean, we have wished and hoped for you for so long xo

Our family welcomed a in May 2013 and thats ok, we're head over heels in love with him and feel blessed to be honoured with 2 sons

January 2014 - A little surprise that went to heaven before we could meet

October 2014 - Officially swaying for one last little bundle and wishing and hoping its a pink one

April 2015 - All our dreams have miraculously come true, our sway worked and our family will be complete with the little girl joining us in October this year

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Lassie, I read a little bit about it .. I am seriously thinking about doing it. Its alot of money but they have a money back guarantee on the test!
    DW 33
    DH 34
    Dec 2016

Will try for another baby in 2019 to complete our family.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Im really seriously considering it aswell.
    My only is fear is around the accuracy, I'd hate for it to be a scam that I fall for (like the urine tests that you can buy), and then end up really upset if its wrong.
    I think I could deal with it pretty well if i conceive a boy, but if I paid for this test, got told girl, and THEN found out boy, then that would be tricker i think. On the other hand I will be dying to know ASAP!
    Wish I could find some 'real' reviews.

There is a place locally that does specific gender scans from 15weeks, the price is approximately the same, DH says we should just do that if I'm so keen to find out sooner.

I know though that when I fall pregnant I will be super super keen to get the blood test done.

I found a few places that offered the service, but only the one i linked offered a money back guarantee, so i figured they are probably the most reliable, if they stand to lose the payment they are more likely to try and get the result right.

Let me know if you find any other info, or if you decide to go ahead

Our family welcomed a in May 2013 and thats ok, we're head over heels in love with him and feel blessed to be honoured with 2 sons

October 2014 - Officially swaying for one last little bundle and wishing and hoping its a pink one

April 2015 - All our dreams have miraculously come true, our sway worked and our family will be complete with the little girl joining us in October this year

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This technology is real and can be highly reliable, with greater than 98% accuracy. See links to more info below. I would select a firm that has been in business for a long time. If they collaborate with university researchers, that probably also speaks to their legitimacy. Also, check the local BBB (or the Aussie equivalent) as you would for any other business.

You didn't say why you wanted this test and it's none of my business but I feel compelled to make a general comment about the potential ethical issues that arise with this type of test. Right or wrong, there is considerable public concern--at least in the US so may not apply to Australia-- regarding the use of tests to abort fetuses of the undesired gender--particularly if it is for social, not medical reasons.

In some countries (eg.china) , ultrasound of the established pregnancy has been used to determine gender and abort the undesired gender. This blood test can be used for the same purpose, particularly because results are available in the first trimester. I am pro-choice and won't pretend to know what the best choice is for anyone else but be prepared for societal blowback against gender selection in general if this blood test is used for social gender selection post-pregnancy.

I have always been more comfortable with pre-pregnancy methods to control gender of the pregnancy-- like pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) to detect gender of the embryo because you can decide NOT to even start a pregnancy of the undesired gender which seems -at least to me--preferable to abortion of the undesired gender once the pregnancy is established.

Here are some links about maternal blood tests to determine gender:
    Tests that use DNA from mother’s blood to determine sex of fetus often effective
    Fetal gender and aneuploidy detection using fet... [Prenat Diagn. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI
    http://www.prenatalgeneticscenter.com/technology/
    http://www.prenatalgeneticscenter.com/faq/

Hope this helps. Good Luck, Carole

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for the information Carole, the links were very informative and i certainly feel more informed about the testing and its reliability.

I not only understand, but completely agree with your concerns (and yes, they are the same here in Australia, in fact I am certain it is only a matter of time before service's like this are forcibly shut down because sadly there are people out there who would terminate a perfectly healthy child on the basis of gender alone, my view is if that someone feels so strongly about gender then they need to invest in HT gender selection prior, rather then abort - but thats a different debate altogether)

My reason for wanting to find out as early as possible is sheer curiosity, as well as needing some certainty so that I don't 'hope' for my desired gender.

Im hoping for a girl, and have been very strict in swaying, so when i fall pregnant i will want to know as soon as possible, just so that I don't hang on to hope of it being a girl if its not. The earlier i find out, the less time i will spend glancing at pink outfits, less time thinking about pink names, pink nurseries etc etc.

As much as we doth desire a girl, the desire for another 'child' is greater then the desire for the gender if that makes sense. So if its a boy, then thats perfectly ok as well, i'd just rather know sooner, so i don't think 'pink'

Thanks Again

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by harleyquinn; October 18th, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Lassie- I know you alluded to this in your previous post but I would just be so worried about getting false results. I did one of those urine tests with DS2- and even though I told myself it was "just for fun" and would wait for my ultrasound, I was excited and hopeful when the urine test said "girl". So then when we found out it was another boy, I was sad- but honestly, I think most of the sadness came from the fact that I already had it in my mind we were having a girl. I know there were some posts on here about the blood tests too and how legitimate they actually are. I just wouldn't want you to get your hopes up because that's almost worse!!

I'm not sure if this will become available in AUS but the US just approved a blood test you can do that tests for Downs, Trisomy 18, and Trisomy 13. It also tests for gender. Results are 99% accurate- this is done in actual hospital labs when you go to get your NT scan done. It is called MaterniT21 (you can google) and can be done as early as 11 weeks. Good luck whatever you decide!!
    Proud Mom to my gorgeous 2008, and 2010. Lights of my life!!

Pretesting "normal". FSH 7.5

Cycle 1: HRC Feb 10 2012
    Started off slow on 225 Gonal F, 1 Meno; increased to 300 Gonal F and over responded. 27 eggs received, 19 mature, 15 fert, only 8 to GSN, all terrible quality- only one normal XY. NT. Boo.

Cycle 2: HRC May 2012
    Took DHEA (only 25-50 mg/day), royal jelly, bee propolis, CoQ10. Antagonist cycle with growth hormone. Started off with 300 Gonal-F and quickly moved down to 150 Gonal-F and rode it out. 43 eggs, 35 mature, 30 fert, 9 to Day 5 GSN, 1 normal XY and two normal XX. Froze all.
    July 2012 - FET at HRC, transferred 1 XX expanding blast. ???

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've decided against getting the test online, id be worried that the result would be false...
    I have heard of that blood test HopingforPigtails, i'd do that one if it was available, but it isnt here in australia
    Will just wait for the 15 week gender scan

Dream Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prenatal Genetics Center should be accurate (as I recall), because you go to a lab to have your blood drawn. With Tell me Pink or Blue, you prick your own finger and send in the blood yourself. That's going to be less accurate because the sample size is smaller and there is large potential for DNA contamination.
    and a miracle HT
    My cycle details: click here