Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Considering HT but need more info on the number of embryos to expect

I'm considering going HT at Genesis and have spoken to Savvas by email about the rough costs involved. I have a few questions though, i'm in no way judging others but i'm not 100% sure how i feel about having 'left over' embryos and what to do with them. I see that collection of 10-15 eggs is normal but that obviously not all of these will become healthy embryos, how many embryos do people tend to find themselves with? Thanks ladies xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think on average people end up with one or two embryos of their desired gender. Now of course you could have more or less but there really is no way to figure out if you will before going into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I agree, after 27 retrieved I had one my desired gender and two of my loved gender
    2006 2010
    baby boy is here 06/26/2013 after 2 IVF cycles 1 FET

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can donate extras to another couple if you prefer. You are not likely to have many and he does use a sperm sort to help increase the number of embryos of your desired gender. 1-2 of the opposite is pretty typical.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks ladies that's helpful. I think i'm struggling with the 'where does life begin' thing, but im not sure that this is the place to discuss/debate that? Dont wish to offend anyone! x

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not offensive at all. I understand where you are coming from and many of us have struggled with this. It is only something that you, yourself can find peace with and only you know what is right for you. Donating any extras is a real option though but if you are not comfortable with that, going to Savvas with a sperm sort might help reduce the numbers a bit. It is a bigger issue to even have a transfer than whether or not you have extra embryos. It is a difficult process with no guarantees and at the end, most of us in our 30's end up with 1-2 of the right gender and you may or not have any left. You could end up with 1-2 of the opposite though and face a no transfer so there is always that gamble. I don't know if I have seen a HT with Savvas though. He only tests with a 5-probe and he has the sperm sort he uses.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your reply again, you're right i need to give it some thought and decide how i feel before venturing further. I'm a bit of a novice, can i ask what you mean by a 5-probe and do you know anymore about his sperm sort technique? I know he was clear in saying its not microsort x

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really have no idea what the sort is. We have 2 HT forums on here. One is a member forum where the majority of HT discussion happens. There is a HT guide in there.

Generally, you can choose what type of testing you want on your embryo. You can test just for gender or you can test for all 46 chromosomes. There are pros and cons associated with each. Jumping in and reading along with the current cyclers will get you up to speed quickly.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have wondered the same thing and read a question from a woman to dr. Potter on here or in-gender. If your not comfortable with freezing, donating or disposing of the remaining embryo's, you can consider placing them back in a time where it is impossible to get pregnant with them. For example when you are already pregnant or in your period. That way nature takes care of your embryo's.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In my religion there is only life after implantation (after 40 days) or even after when a heartbeat is found. So before implantation its just a clump of cells and we don't speak about life.......
    Last edited by lisvna; August 9th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.