Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

PGD illegal in my country - can I have frozen embyos transported and tested overseas

Mum to 3 boys via IVF. Just started looking at options if we decide to have fourth child. We would love a daughter. We have 4 frozen embryos. Gender selection illegal in my country. Can I transport embryos for testing overseas, then have female embryos only transported back for transfer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on the country (or even state) yes you can, you would have to check with your clinic their policy on transport and receiving embryos. In Australia I can ship out my embryos from Western Australia, but from New South Wales I can't.

We have found that every time this has happened, there has been no success, so keep that in mind, this could be for many reasons but main one is culture type if the different country uses another one, then the embryos will not fare well.

Also in your case you would have to ship, thaw, biopsy, then refreeze and re ship, I don't think this would be either a cost effective process and more than likely would be unsuccessful. Re freezing is not generally recommended.

Your best bet is to either do a cycle overseas, transport your embryos overseas and do a fresh transfer there, or transport your embryos plus do a fresh cycle and batch all embryos together for testing.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks glory for your message - yes, I should have remembered about re-freezing not ideal. Am at the beginning of my quest to find out as much info as I can before we decide whether to go ahead. Thanks again

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are they day 5 blasts? Why couldn't she thaw and have a day 5 biopsy/day 6 transfer? No re-freezing?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi nuthinbutpink, thanks for comment. yes they are 5 day embies. I initially wondered if the embryos could be sent away for gender testing and then back to New Zealand for transfer but refreezing not ideal so would probably have to travel to overseas clinic for day 6 transfer as you state.
    Hmmmm the more I learn the more questions I have! I wanted to send my embryos for testing to see if any were female but realise now I would have to travel also so they can do immediate transfer - but if no females waste of a trip?!

Thailand or US????

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I woud speak with both and ask if the embryologists think there would be an issue with the embryo culture media, thawing, etc. Yes, you would have to travel. If you become a Dream Member, a consult with Dr Potter at HRC is free when you book it through the site- there is a link to do so in the Member section. You could contact SART and see if they have that capability. I know Dr. Potter does. He is in California.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your advice nuthinbutpink - much appreciated

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are there any other recommended clinics in US - is Dr Potter and his clinic the founder of this website...HRC seems to be only clinic mentioned but have heard many others do gender selection? I have 3 boys via IVF. Is it likely my IVF doctor in New Zealand would offer info on gender selection given it is illegal here? Should I meet with him to discuss my plans to travel abroad for PGD. I would like to know if I can cycle here in NZ and have EC abroad if I need to do another cycle (if current 4 frozen 5 day embies not viable) - not sure if I can discuss with him or whether I am breaching ethics etc by doin so?)

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PS. Have become a dream member and am enjoying reading many posts/threads

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I book consult with Dr Potter is there any specific info he would require i.e should I find out what type of culture current embryos are in? Should I prepare list of questions or is it just a general chat to discuss options?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast