Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ...just one thing to think about - whilst some people do combine HT successfully with a holiday, please don't underestimate the emotional stress of this coupled to the fact that you need to factor appointments in, can't really go swimming between ER and ET or do anything too hectic after ET. Good luck x

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsE View Post
    There's lots of arguments either way for fresh vs frozen transfer. With fresh your body can be overwhelmed from all of the meds but with frozen there is more risk of some embryos not surviving. When I spoke to Dr P his attitude seemed to be that results are very similar from fresh and frozen because of this but tbh I haven't done a huge amount of research. For me it was primarily a question of what worked for us from a practical perspective.

Think my pretesting was around £800 all in but I'm lucky that I have a v understanding GP who ordered some of the blood tests on the NHS.

ER costs $15,900 (plus meds) with the $1000 discount you get via this site plus $700 for cryopreservation. The FET is $3500 plus meds. All v eye watering!

I think it was about 10 days to 2 weeks after I completed the form x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi MrsE

Do you mind me asking - for the pretesting, what do you tell your GP, in my case, if i dont have fertility issues but would like to try PGD/IVF?

Happy with my crew and no more are due xx

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We don't have any fertility issues but when I was pregnant with DS2 I had to have a harmony test as his Downs risk result was high. Worst 2 weeks of my life waiting for the results. I told my GP that this was one of the reasons we were looking at IVF with chromosomal testing (and actually it has contributed to our decision to go down the HT route).

4. Likes squigglepink liked this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi squigglepink, I think you can choose whether or not to tell your GP. My sister-in-law is a GP and she said that a lot of the blood tests requested for pre-testing are standard tests and if she had a patient ask for them and said they were going for IVF/PGD that she would be sympathetic and agree to do the tests.

So we decided to give it a try and ask the GP, ours was sympathetic and nice, said we could do the bloods through them, but we would have to pay what they would have paid. It turned out that meant have the nurse draw blood at our local surgery and us then take it to our local hospital. I decided instead to go to a local pathology place (County Pathology in Guildford, if anyone lives close, I'd recommend as they're cheaper than most clinics and take & analyse the blood right there).

I've read other people post that if ever they're asked, they say they're going abroad for IVF - unexplained fertility issues. Apparently as IVF is cheaper in lots of countries outside the UK, this is pretty common.

Hope that's useful, good luck!

6. Thanks squigglepink thanked for this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not far from Guildford, when did you get the bloods done in terms of the whole process? Was it after a consult and they let you know what you need?

I'm guessing if you do bloods and pre-testing privately you have no need to tell your GP?

I'm waiting on a consult with dr potter, I spoke to my husband and he is on board (yay!) think we will look to travel to LA next October and hope for the best!

I'm just not sure what else to do until we get the consult. Some have suggested to get pre-testing done first with sr lower in Harley street. Any one had experience with that? Xx!

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ever hopeful View Post
    ...just one thing to think about - whilst some people do combine HT successfully with a holiday, please don't underestimate the emotional stress of this coupled to the fact that you need to factor appointments in, can't really go swimming between ER and ET or do anything too hectic after ET. Good luck x
    That's really helpful to know, didn't think about that. At the same time not sure how we could do it otherwise! It seemed the best way to make it work. But I can imagine it is very stressful. Is there anything else you can't do other than swim and try and rest? And how many appointments are there whilst you're there? Xx

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had my pretesting done before my consult with Dr P in order to make the most of the free consult. My GP ordered some blood tests and I had the rest plus the scans with Dr Lower. They can do all the blood tests if you'd rather not mention it to your GP, it'll just be a lot more expensive.

In terms of appointments, I am currently in Newport Beach cycling and I've had 2 appointments so far - one yesterday, one today both of which took about an hour or so. You could easily go by yourself if DH was with the kids. No more appointments now before ER on Friday. I'm not sure about the time between ER and transfer as I'm not transferring this time around, I'll hopefully have an FET later in the year x

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck hun... can you tell me how long you need to be over there for if your having a fet another time x

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Flynn's Mummy, I emailed Lori directly loriw@havingbabies.com explaining that I'd been on this site and asked for pre-testing ahead of my consult with Dr P. After doing some preliminary paperwork she sent me pre-testing orders for blood tests & ultrasounds (these are standard forms signed by Dr P). With these I could then call around explaining I was having IVF abroad and these tests had been requested by my doctor and ask for prices.

County Pathology in Guildford was the cheapest for bloods & very easy (book an appointment, park right outside, no queue, done in 5-10 mins).

I also had on my pre-tess that I needed to have a Sonohysterogram (type of ultrasound where they look at the anatomy of the uterus, I think requested because I have had 3 caesareans). I was nervous of whether having #4 was a good idea (as in could my body cope with a 4th pregnancy & C-section) so wanted this done by Mr Lower (clinic in Queen Anne St in London). He was great, probably not the cheapest but gave me piece of mind.

Fast forward and I've had my consult with Dr P and am about to start meds at the end of next wk (ER booked for 10 June). Lori sends you a schedule of when you need ultrasounds & bloods. I've booked the bloods at County Pathology and the ultrasounds round the corner (both places in the research park near Guildford Hospital) with The Surrey Park Clinic (who I think are a women's health clinic) and are currently trialing very early (07:30) and very late (19:30) scan times, so have been able to fit them around childcare more easily

I have told my GP (who was nice about it) but so far I haven't seen a reason to tell them. The only thing I needed from them was to go on the birth control pill, but as that's free on the NHS I don't think that would cause any problems.

12. Likes fiveboys liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gender Selection advice - am based in London

Quote Originally Posted by fiveboys View Post
    Good luck hun... can you tell me how long you need to be over there for if your having a fet another time x
    Thank you! I arrived Monday and could have left Saturday but the flights were crazy expensive so we're flying out Sunday. I don't actually know how long I'll have to be here for FET - hopefully not as long as I'll be on my own
    Last edited by MrsE; May 11th, 2016 at 11:49 PM.

14. Likes perhaps liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast