Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ovulation Test Query

hi everyone, I'm not exactly new to GD as I've been 'lurking' for some time, so without knowing it you've all been a big help in getting me through the last 7 months. I started the preparations last May, as in diet and supplements and wanted to start ttc in September. I found the diet relatively easy, although lost 12kg in 3 months so family and friends have been very worried about my health and not being able to explain has been hard. We had our first attempt at end of September, Which didn't work, I then didnt get my next AF until 9th November (I think due to diet) and didnt ovulate until day 21. I had a smiley face in the morning and planned on DTD that evening but when I tested about 5pm there was no smiley face but we did it anyway! I tested for days after but no smiley face came back? My next AF was 14th December and I had my first smiley face on morning of 28th and again when i tested about 5ish no smiley face, again we DTD that evening anyway and when I tested the next morning there was a smiley face? I've kept testing just in case and had another smiley face on Wednesday morning? it's really confused me to be honest so we DTD again on Wednesday night - no smiley face the next morning? I'm so hoping for a positive Pregnany test and as my sway was a bit rubbish I have no idea what might be cooking in there! Has anyone else had the ovulation problems I've had - is this normal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ovulation tests do show up pregnancy hormones (but it doesn't work vice versa, i.e. positive pregnancy test = pregnant, not ovulating), so you could be pregnant. Good luck!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You should test in the afternoon and not drink or go to the bathroom for at least 2hours before testing. And you should test every day about the same time. The test can be positive in the morning because hormon concentration is higher but also like rainbowflower said OPK's can pick up pregnany hormones and could be positive even though you are pregnant.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thank you, girls, knd of getting excited that I may be pregnant now..... I've only just got the courage to post something and already you've been very helpful. I wasn't entirely happy with my sway to be honest, between May and October it was great but I kind of lost it when my cycle played up and got bored and ran out of Saw Palmetto. Husband wasn't strictly taking liquorice root and not releasing every day and not always using hot water bottle. The only good thing was that I was I'll and didn't really eat much. To be honest I just want to be pregnant now as my first two were so easy this has been a long and emotional journey and may not even be over! What are your stories? Are you TTC pink or blue?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's really common when swaying pink to have ovulation go a bit whacked. Its from the dieting, losing weight, and being a bit less fertile. Some women can't even do the LE diet because it makes them stop ovulating all together.

What it sounds like is happening with you (and happened with me the month we conceived!) is your body gears up to ovulate and the tests pick up the hormones, but you never actually release the egg. And then your body tries again. Sometime it can happen 2-3 times in the same cycle. Sometimes your body will finally ovulate and other times it won't, will give up and you will break-through bleed like a period. Unfortunately, ovulation tests can't tell you if you actually ovulated, only if you are trying to.

Given your first smiley was on the 28th and today is the 4th, I don't think you are picking up pregnancy yet. Even a much more sensitive pregnancy test (which would pick up a pregnancy before an ovulation test) wouldn't be positive if you conceived on the 28th. You are only 7 possible days past ovulation. Most pregnancies are just implanting today or tomorrow ad won't produce hormones for several more days. Although I would test once for pregnancy to make sure you didn't get pregnant the month before and just had a bleeding episode. Otherwise, I would keep testing for ovulation and DTD whenever you get a smiley face. Keep up with your sway techniques otherwise and see what happens. If you are rather thin right now, I would guess your body is having a hard time ovulating due to your large weight loss. You might have to alter the diet to help you maintain or even gain a little before trying again.

Welcome, officially I haven't been here long, but also lurked for a while before posting. We swayed in the summer and got our pinkie. She is due in May.
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks, hotdogz, some great info there and all seems to make sense. I'd be really interested to here your sway - every last detail! x

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And actually, this happening with your body is a great thing for swaying pink, as long as you manage to ovulate.

My sway is posted under the "add your girl sway" forums. However, most of it won't help you unless you are nursing/sick/waking a lot at night I was not hard core on dieting. Mine was what I will call a "lucky sway." I had a lot of hormonal factors contributing (from breastfeeding and not having a real steady cycle back from having my second). But there are some great sways to pour over in that section that could really, really help. I read every single successful one I could find. And it at least sent me in the right direction I hope you ovulate this cycle! Waiting is always tough, it took a while for us to get our second son and that was maddening!
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ooo, thanks, I'll take a look at the sways, although I'm kind of hoping I've caught this month! I'm so pleased you've got your princess, I actually can't imagine how it must feel and honestly believe I'll never get to find out. I don't believe I deserve to have a successful sway! Look forward to hearing about how your little pink bundle arrives. x