Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Older first-time TTCer hoping for a boy

Hi y’all! I’ve waited a VERY long time to TTC. 46 and this is my first attempt .
    According to my blood work, there is no reason I can’t, but I’m still aware my chances are low. This is our second month actively TTC, and I have a natural boy sway-ish diet anyway: lots of fresh veggies and eggs and fish (I’m a pescatarian), no processed sugar, no junk food, and a slightly high BMI. I’m also taking a prenatal, vitex, extra B complex (always have because of my no-meat diet), dha, and coq10 (ubiquinol). No alcohol and I just cut out caffeine this month.

At this age, I’ll be happy just to Have a healthy baby. However, I have heard that older first time moms are more likely to have a girl. What is the science behind that, and is there anything else I can do, or stop doing to increase my blue odds?
    Last edited by JenP; February 24th, 2018 at 05:25 PM.

2. Thanks mummy2boys thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi and welcome!

You're doing everything right. Please don't worry about the "older moms have more girls" idea, it's a statistical variation and not in any way a magic bullet. Here is some of the thinking and data behind the concept (please note this is just one guy's take and not proven!) https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...have-daughters

Why are you on Vitex? That likely sways pink but more than that, it's really cut odds of conception hugely for our moms over 35 and I now never use it for anyone over 35. I would have you drop that right away.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Internet self-medicating, I suppose... I have always had regular cycles, but a few months ago my bloodwork showed that I had elevated prolactin, and when I started charting I realized I have a very short luteal phase (usually 7-8 days). I had read that Vitex could help with both of these issues, so started taking it about 3 months ago. Per the instructions, I have taken a break during AF, but this will be my third month in a row of taking it. I have realized, though, that not until cutting out the caffeine and alcohol did I see a slight improvement with the LPD, so it probably wasn't helping that anyway.

Right now, I am 3DPO, so not sure how to stop taking it. Should I stop it now cold-turkey? Cut the dosage then stop? I dont want to do anything crazy DPO just in case that might do more damage.

Also since caffeine is now off the table, what tea can I drink? I have a milk thistle and a red raspberry that I enjoy, but have heard conflicting advice on which one is okay while TTC.
    Last edited by JenP; February 25th, 2018 at 09:13 PM.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have elevated prolactin you need medication for that. Herbs really are not the best solution for high prolactin. Did they have any explanation as to why it was elevated? It's a very easy fix with the medicine.

Vitex can only help with short LP if it is caused by PCOS which it's very unlikely that yours is. I am about your age and I've noticed my LP has really gotten short this last year. Best remedy for short LP is eating more healthy fat like coconut oil, eggs, and full fat dairy. Those things may help you get pregnant anyway and I want you eating 1 serving coco oil and full fat dairy a day, and 4-6 eggs a week.

We have people drop it at ovulation. Since you're already past that, let's just start spacing doses further and further out till down to one per week, then you can drop it.

While this isn't my common recommendation for most swayers I think you may benefit from the RRLT. I would have you drink 2 cups a day during the follicular phase, 1 a day during luteal phase, and at BFP please wean off by spacing doses further and further out till down to one per week, then drop it.

Also, I think you would benefit from taking at least 2000 mcg folic acid or folate daily. Not sure how much is in B complex and prenatal but I'd have you take at least 2000.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wanted to send you wishes for a healthy baby (hopefully boy ) from another mom over 40 TTC. Sending you my blue dust.

7. Thanks JenP, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Happy

Quote Originally Posted by dreamofdaughter View Post
    Just wanted to send you wishes for a healthy baby (hopefully boy ) from another mom over 40 TTC. Sending you my blue dust.
    Thanks so much! Dust back atcha!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    If you have elevated prolactin you need medication for that. Herbs really are not the best solution for high prolactin. Did they have any explanation as to why it was elevated? It's a very easy fix with the medicine.

Vitex can only help with short LP if it is caused by PCOS which it's very unlikely that yours is. I am about your age and I've noticed my LP has really gotten short this last year. Best remedy for short LP is eating more healthy fat like coconut oil, eggs, and full fat dairy. Those things may help you get pregnant anyway and I want you eating 1 serving coco oil and full fat dairy a day, and 4-6 eggs a week.

We have people drop it at ovulation. Since you're already past that, let's just start spacing doses further and further out till down to one per week, then you can drop it.

While this isn't my common recommendation for most swayers I think you may benefit from the RRLT. I would have you drink 2 cups a day during the follicular phase, 1 a day during luteal phase, and at BFP please wean off by spacing doses further and further out till down to one per week, then drop it.

Also, I think you would benefit from taking at least 2000 mcg folic acid or folate daily. Not sure how much is in B complex and prenatal but I'd have you take at least 2000.
    This is all so helpful!! Re: the prolactin levels...not totally sure, but I think drinking was certainly a factor - I was drinking two glasses of wine with dinner almost every night - for years. And I have read all over the place alcohol affects prolactin and estrogen levels. The meds sounded a little scary to me, so I plan to go back and get my prolactin retested now that I have been caffeine and alcohol free for about two months and have upped my exercise a bit. Right now I am getting about 1000mcg of folate a day, so I can see I definitely need to up that, as well as incorporate some coconut oil (I had not known that was beneficial at all, so thanks for the tip!).

I do also take sam-E occasionally (for arthritis in an old knee injury), but usually only for a few days every month or so. Is there any harm in that, or should I cut that out for the time-being?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh ok as long as they're following up on it. The most common cause is a teensy little benign tumor, which sounds terrifying but tons of people have them and they're harmless, just can keep you from conceiving so in that scenario you'd need the medicine.

I can't sign off on the SAM-e - not enough info about safety and how it might sway for me to give the atomic stamp of approval LOL. If you don't need it, I'd skip it.

11. Thanks JenP thanked for this post