Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    IMG_2272.JPG

Here are my identical twins at 10 months. I think for identical twins they look very different. When they were born they looked so different to me that I had the DNA test done. I find it strange how people can't tell them apart but I am their Mum.

Elliot (twin 2) is in the white and Matteo (twin 1) in the Navy. An example of one of the outfits I used to compensated for not getting girl(s)

Matteo's ears stick out and Elliot's are normal and I thought it was due to position in the womb but it could be epigenetics because at 14 months it is more obvious than ever and I thought it would have corrected itself by now. Their head shapes are very different. Elliot has longer narrow face (was vertex) and Matteo rounder and shorter (was breech) and he has cute little cheek pockets from birth. Their personalities are totally opposite. They may be identical in terms of twin type but in no means by the dictionary definition of the word itself.
    I love my boys!
    DPs sons 21 +13 11 + our 6 4 year old identical twins!

I might actually be over my deep yearning for a and it's an exciting feeling

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Also, there are 'mirror image' identicals where they are genetically identical, but reversed, so their facial features are slightly tipped the opposite direction, their hair parts on opposite sides, and one is right handed, one left handed.

Crazily, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are NOT identical twins. They're fraternal and just happen to look alike!! o.O
    My friend has identical twin boys who are 10 days younger than mine and they are mirror image twins and their hair swirls at the back of their heads go in opposite directions. It's amazing!

As for the Olsen twins, there is alot of confusion as to whether they are fraternal or identical. I can not claim to be right but my opinion from my experience of being a Mother to identical twins and meeting many other Mothers of twins through our local twin support group is that they must be identical. Fraternal twins have to have their own sac or placenta because they are from two different fertilized eggs implanting in the uterus and twins who share a placenta have to be identical but identical twins can have their own placenta if the fertilized egg splits early enough. About 30% of identical twins have their own placentas and that happens when the egg splits before implantation but I suppose people get lazy and since most twins with their own placentas who are the same sex are fraternal, many people are told they are having fratnernal twins. Many health care professionals wrongly call two placentas fratnernal twins and I know of two people this has happened to who had trouble telling their twins apart so got the DNA test that proved they are identical.
    It's my Birthday and I am a little tipsey so I probably could have explained it better with references sorry!

Doctors told the Olsen twins parents that their girls were fraternal because they had their own placentas. They do have their differences in looks but so do all Identical twins. Mine look so different to me and mine shared a placenta so had to be identical but I still got the DNA test done to be sure. Another Mum I know never had the test done and her daughters are like two of the same person but she swears they are fraternal and wont listen when I try to tell her all this info.

Scientists are thinking of using a different word to 'identical' because identical twins are really only identical from the momment just after the egg splits but from then on they are effected by environment (especially womb position before birth giving some very different head shapes like mine) and epigentics to make not all features exactly the same.

The Olsen twins look too alike to be Fraternal. Of all the genes a person could get from their Mum and Dad it would be a miracle for so many to be the same for two siblings to look so alike and not be identical twins. In my experience, where many people think twins could be identical and then they get DNA tested, they almost always are. I have searched a a few times really hard to find evidence to see if the Olsen twins have been DNA tested for twin zygosity but I have not been able to find a definite answer as to whether they have or not

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I babysat a set of genetically fraternal twins (they had different blood types and therefore were never needed to be tested) who looked more alike than my genetically identical twin cousins. The fraternal twins were also biracial, which made it even more amazing to me that their hair color, texture, skin color, and features were so alike. We had to put bracelets on them to tell them apart as babies (I did eventually learn the subtle differences). My aunts twins were tested as identical because they were IVF babies and it seemed more likely for them to be fused fraternals than identicals. But they are genetically identical.

As for Mary-Kate and Ashley. I do think it's possible they are genetically fraternal. Mostly because I have seen pictures of their sister who looks a lot like them. I think the genetic pool is just particularly strong in that family. Here is one of the pics of them with their sister:image.jpg

So clearly they all look a ton alike.
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ladies with identicals, can I ask! Did your twins cut their first teeth at around the same time?? My sis has twins and I swear they are identical, she thinks not never tested, and they got their first teeth days if not a day apart, my kids (no twins) have all been in different months! let alone a day apart

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ELP View Post
    Ladies with identicals, can I ask! Did your twins cut their first teeth at around the same time?? My sis has twins and I swear they are identical, she thinks not never tested, and they got their first teeth days if not a day apart, my kids (no twins) have all been in different months! let alone a day apart
    One got his first tooth the day he turned 6 months and the other the day he turned 7 months so a whole month apart exactly which was strange. The second one caught up over the next couple of teeth and now they almost have 12 and they have all cut within days of each other

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    By the way, all my family including my partner were convinced the twins were identical as new borns but I was sure they were not but I was wrong. I guess the Mother sees every tiny detail of her own babies face that no one else can. Now days all my friends and family or anyone who sees my boys on a regular basis can easily tell them apart. I make mistakes myself when I am very tired though or if I see them on the wrong angle but I quickly realise. I feel bad if I tell the wrong one 'No.' I always use their names so they know their names.

Wow, they do look very alike in that photo Hot Dogs and Boys. I guess the middle one is their Sister but to me this looks like it could even be a photoshopped image of an extra twin as they are all so alike! They do have a strong family resemblance. It helps to look at photos of them as young children but I agree that it is possible they are fraternal.
    Usually the best indicators of being identical are singling out the eyes, nose and mouth. The eyes more colour but they can be different shapes slightly like my boys.

I guess we will never really know! That is an interesting story of the twins you know

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Our twins are very identical! I can't tell them apart! Lol.
    They are known as mono-mono identical twins, which is apparently not at all common and they were a very high risk pregnancy with weekly monitoring through ultrasounds.

During the last few weeks of pregnancy they suffered Twin-to-Twin-Transfusion Syndrome where one got all the blood and the other got very little so at birth one was 3.3kgs and one was 2.7kgs. We knew who was who then, but they bought up to the exact same weight and height so quickly and have stayed EXACTLY the same since! They are now 7.

They did cut their teeth at the same time too, they were actually involved in a teeth study of identical twins so we had to monitor and record it all.
    Mum of 9 boys & my stillborn angel daughter, Shaylah Anne 20/02/2015

8. Dislikes Babygirlquest disliked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MumofSix_TTCPink View Post
    Our twins are very identical! I can't tell them apart! Lol.
    They are known as mono-mono identical twins, which is apparently not at all common and they were a very high risk pregnancy with weekly monitoring through ultrasounds.

During the last few weeks of pregnancy they suffered Twin-to-Twin-Transfusion Syndrome where one got all the blood and the other got very little so at birth one was 3.3kgs and one was 2.7kgs. We knew who was who then, but they bought up to the exact same weight and height so quickly and have stayed EXACTLY the same since! They are now 7.

They did cut their teeth at the same time too, they were actually involved in a teeth study of identical twins so we had to monitor and record it all.
    Wow, that must have been such an amazing/scary journey. My boys were mono/di. They cut their same teeth mostly within days of each other. Since posting my last comment I think they look more similar now than they did back then. I can still easily tell them apart though and people who know them well.

I always scroll down to the twin section and am disapointed to see it is never posted in so thanks for posting

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ELP, has your Sister had her twins tested yet? Do you still think they are identical? I just re-read some of this post and change my comment before. The Olsen twins are so not fraternal. I know I know, who really cares though! It does not matter. My boys zygosity would not make them any different to me. I just peeved about misinformation about twins

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OMG Mum of 6, just saw your signature. Congrats! I so hope this is your long awaited daughter xo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast