Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cloth Diaper Ideas?

I've never CDed my children, but I'm looking into it with this one, even though I'm working full time (and then some) now. I'm just tired of paying $25 a box and poor DD3 goes through A LOT of diapers.

Any ideas? I think I want an AIO diaper as well as a one size fits all, too. Experience? I may switch DD3 over to CDs as well because since she has been weaned disposables have been giving her rashes. And she's seriously the world's worst about pulling her diaper off these days.
    April 2005 March 2007 October 2009 June 2011

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Highly recommend Bumgenius OS elemental AIO's. They have snaps so she wouldn't be able to take them off either
    Mom to Sept. 04, April 08, ^i^ May 09 & April 10

Trying to convince DH to try for a tubal reversal baby girl soon!

My Ovulation Chart

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal-light View Post
    Highly recommend Bumgenius OS elemental AIO's. They have snaps so she wouldn't be able to take them off either
    EXCELLENT advice. I have these aswell and they are perfect. I cannot fault them. We have saved so much money by using cloth.
    One perfect
    One perfect Thank you Dr P, Lori and Microsort!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a big fan of BumGenius. Half my stash is the 3.0s. I believe they've been replaced by 4.0s now.

The other half is Kawaii. I love them! They are very cheaply priced but still work great. They have several different versions and we have quite a few of them... some I would recommend more than others (ex: the ones with one line of snaps are so-so.. but the ones with simply the hip snaps added make a big difference.)

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How many of the BG 3.0's will I need to cover DD3 and the baby?
    April 2005 March 2007 October 2009 June 2011

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Bumgenius AOE if I'm going to use those - I have 6. But in all honesty, after CD'ing through four babies I prefer prefolds with a Snappi fastener. I also like wool covers best - Imse Vimse is my favorite brand. I use wool longies in the winter when the snow piles high and the temperatures plummet!
    Wife to a sweetie DH & Mama to:
    C, 13yo ; A, 11yo ; B, 9yo ; G, 6yo - successful blue sway; H, 3yo - sweet surprise!; C, 2yo - successful blue sway!, S - newbie!

Thank you GD!!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I'm back to prefolds too and this time I'm even doing flats. Used to be an avid Fuzzibuns and Bum Genius user but I hate how long everything takes to dry and I was always having odor problems. At least with plain old PFs and flats I can do a bleach load every now and then and kill off the stinkers.

Plus wool is just too awesome. I just learned to knit and have been making all my own covers. They are so cute.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use wool and prefolds but my husband, in-laws, and if I ever trust a babysitter find it hard to change them. One-size AIO's are best for everyone. I would also say velcro because snaps can be hard for some people to do with a wiggle worm. You may need 36 so you can have 2 kids in them and also be able to wash them in sets of 12. AIO's do take longer to dry but the ones that have what looks like an odd insert sewn on top, wear the butt goes, dry a little faster if inside out. I found that the more diapers in the washer the harder they are to clean, 12 seems to be the best number for washing about what my son uses in 1 1/2 days. It is cheaper to buy one-size.

Wool is expensive but I made one-size ones and I only need 8 for 2 kids. It only takes a little time to clean them and I only have to wash them once a week unless they are pooped on. We saved a lot of water when we went from aio's to wool. The prefold take some water but I used 2 guick cycles and they are clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Stalking this thread, want to CD my baby this time.....any websites you all recommend to learn about/buy stuff?
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get all of my CDing products at Nicki's Diapers - http://nickisdiapers.com/ She is located in Wisconsin and their state has no diaper tax. Also, she does free shipping on pocket diapers often, and always on orders over $75.00. If you join the FB page, you can get updates on sales and specials etc. I would recommend starting with 2 or 4 and trying them out. You or your baby may not like them, but that way you won't have a ton of dipes that you don't like if they don't work for your baby. I started with 2 bG one-size, and once I knew that I liked them and they worked for DS, I bought my stash of 12. I did laundry every other day and had a couple of prefolds in there too. With DS 2, the bG Flip system works best. DS1 is more tall and lean and DS#2 is chunkier, so different dipes worked better on each of them.

Nicki's Diapers offers a trial package - http://nickisdiapers.com/pages/15DayWash.php , where you can buy 5 or so dipes to try out. You can return the ones you don't like for store credit. I haven't looked at the details of the trial package in months, so I don't know the specifics. If I was trying CD for the first time, this is what I would do.

But after using them for a few years, I prefer the prefolds and snap covers for daytime, and BumGenius or Fuzzy Bunz for night. Nicki's diapers has a FAQ section - http://nickisdiapers.com/faqs.php which is very helpful. For more diapering info and reviews, you can go to Diaper Pin - try diaper pin dot com. You will find a huge directory of CDing stores and coupons/specials on there too.

Also, Bummis swim dipes are great, and Imse Vimse (biodegradable and flushable) diaper liners are wonderful for poopy diapers! My DS poops around the same time each day, so I lay a liner in there for that diaper change and when it's dirty, I dump the liner in the potty and there is barely anything left on the diaper itself. HTH! GL!!!
    Last edited by Chunky Monkey; March 28th, 2011 at 01:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast