Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How Long Have Your Children Stayed In YOUR Bed?

DD1 turns 6 in April... And she's still in our bed.
    DD2 turns 4 in March... And she's still in our bed.
    DD3 is almost 16 months... And she's still in our bed.

Did I mention we have one on the way too?! I'm not sure how to go about getting them out of our bed. I do love sleeping with them, but I can only fit so many in my bed. Due to this sleeping arrangement, DH has become accustomed to sleeping on the couch. Spouses sleeping separately do impact a marriage at some point and that causes a lot of strain, especially since I'm getting to the point I can't get up and down at night without waking DD3 and having to get her back to sleep. Usually I end up with DD2 and DD3 in bed with me. DD1 sleeps on the loveseat so she's "next" to her daddy. They all have their own rooms, complete with bedroom suites. How can I encourage them to sleep there, though? We recently put a TV in DD1's room to try to get her to sleep there, but she keeps finding more and more excuses. I'm at a loss.
    April 2005 March 2007 October 2009 June 2011

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I hear ya! With my older two, my husband worked at night so it was no biggie that they were in my bed until 6, they started to want to sleep on their own at around that age. With my little two, DH still works at night but he has weekends off and he usually ends up sleeping in the recliner because there's not enough room

Would it be easier for your two older DDs to share a room? Would they think that was fun or less scary? Almost like a slumber party??
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We've toyed with that idea with the older two. They won't go for it.

Since DH has gotten so accustomed to sleeping on the couch he's no longer comfortable in our bed. =(
    April 2005 March 2007 October 2009 June 2011

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, hang in there! I don't have any other tips but mine DID want to sleep in their own rooms just all of a sudden around 6. I hope it works out painlessly!!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My oldest slept in our bed until six.
    We decorated his room with a mural put up a cool bunk bed. We moved his little brother in there with him and he was out of our bed! Woo hoo!

Coccinelle33
    my husband either sleeps on the couch or the older boys room. they have an extra bed. all of our kids have slept with us the first 2-3 years. right now the baby is in bed with me and the 2 year old is on the floor next to my bed on his toddler bed.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    16 months here - then we switched rooms so that DS was still in the same room
    One perfect
    One perfect Thank you Dr P, Lori and Microsort!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My niece just recently announced to my sister that she wants to sleep in her own bed. She is three.

Maybe you could let each child pick out a new sheet set, whatever they wanted? Make a big deal out of it. Maybe that will encourage the kids to sleep in their own bed?
    My awesome boys!
    (1988) (1991) (2010) (2012)

TTC my last one. A little girl, please!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say I am shocked that you guys have your kids in your beds with you! I didn't know people did that honestly....I guess I have been under a rock for some time.

We have strict rules about bedtime in our home. I kept the babies in a bassinet in our room for a few months(2-3) and when they went to getting up just once a night, moved them to a crib in their own room.

I just don't want them to take over everything in the house including my bedroom! They have their toys, etc all over the house but my bedroom is mine and not theirs.

To help ease them out of a crib I did let them pick out a cute comforter and that seemed to help get them in their own bed because they were excited about a big girl room.

DH pays the bills so I can't imagine him having to sleep on the sofa but whatever works, works I guess!!

ETA- I do let them sleep with us when they are sick.
    Last edited by nuthinbutpink; February 16th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wasn't going to co-sleep with the little boys but he insisted on it! Part of why it works for us is due to our small house and weird schedule - DH comes home from work at 3 and 4 am and the babies would have to sleep in the living room if they didn't sleep with me so every time he came home he would wake them up. Throw in two teenagers who come and go at odd hours and it's just easier for everyone involved to do things this way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast