Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First of all, if you don't want to stop, you don't have to. I'm sorry you are feeling pressured.

I nursed my ds2 until right around when he turned 3. I cut down slowly, so at first, it was only once or twice during the day, and then at bedtime (and if he woke up at night), then once a day and at bedtime, and then only at bedtime. I did it gradually over several weeks, and if he asked for it, I would just say "no, not now" and give him a cup. By the time he weaned completely, I am pretty sure there was very little milk left anyway.

With my ds3, I decided to wean earlier because we wanted to ttc (and I don't seem to cycle while bfing). In June, he was 19 months, and I went away for a long weekend. That was a good point to cut down significantly, so after that, I only bfed him before nap and before bed/at night. In August, when he was 21 months, I went away for another long weekend, and this time I didn't pump (ouch -I was producing more milk than I thought!) and when I got back, my milk had pretty much dried up. So that was that! I did wean him to a bottle, which I am regretting now, because he is very attached to his "baba" at almost 2.5.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
    2004 2007 2010

It's a boy! Due 7/8/2013

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you all so much! You helped me a lot. Nice to talk with people that not think you are weird for bf a toddler

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I breastfed DS 3 until the month before he turned 3. I had wanted to stop for ages but feared the weaning process and what I'd do afterwards as it was his comfort, his distraction and his sleep aid.
    I spent a few months telling him how when he was a 'big boy' he wouldn't need mummys milk any more, he'd be like his big brothers. He potty trained by himself and I used that to reinforce what a big boy he was now.
    We talked openly with the 3 boys about the idea of 'one day' having another baby and I would tell him that when he was finished with my milk (so it sounded like his decision) we would have another baby and that baby would drink my milk (I had been ttc and planned originally to tandem but in the end it took 2 and a half years to fall pregnant)
    When he was approaching 3 and still not showing any signs of wanting to wean and I was starting to get to the point where I was done I began telling him that by the time he was 3 he'd be such a big boy that all my milk would be gone. I told him mummys only made enough to last until their babies were 3 then it ran out. He understood about other things running out and seemed to accept this most of the time.
    I was invited away with some friends at the start of Feb for the weekend so decided that this would be the perfect opportunity. I spent the weekend away and when I came back he asked for milk and I said I was sorry but it was all gone. He cried the first time I said it and I was full and sore and it was hard to say no. That night I put him to bed, still laying next to him, but just reading and singing until he fell asleep.
    He adjusted really quickly and although he did ask a few times the next day he didn't cry, just pouted and asked for something to eat instead. His appitite has always been small so he seemed to be eating twice- three times as much! And he gained so much weight. His birthday was at the beginning of march, but with in a week he was no longer asking.
    I got my bfp 5 days after stopping feeding him and now that he knows about the baby he talks about how it will drink my milk.
    I was sad I couldn't let him self wean but I do think its important to stop when it is no longer desired by 1 or both parties. And I was thankful the weaning process was not as hard as I expected.
    Now I've had a little break (only 2 months so far) I'm ready to feed the next baby.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's lovely reading all these stories. I'm still breastfeeding my son, who will be 3 in July. After only breastfeeding my first for 3 weeks I'm so proud of myself but I am ready to stop when he is. (Although I kinda like the idea of tandem feeding, call me crazy!! Lol) 💙

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darcy 10.4.2009 ⚓Eamon 4.07.2011⚓ Felix 15.05.2015

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Primal mamma I always liked the idea of tandem feeding. I hear it can help with the bond between siblings and also the older child can help with any engorgement.

Feb 2006 Oct 2007 March 2010 Oct 2013

Hoping the future holds a for us......

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did tandem twice and if you get engorged like I do, it is AWESOME. It's hard to nurse all thru pregnancy but if you can stick with it, it is SOO great when the baby comes. With my first 3 I really had a terrible time with engorgement and then it also helps a lot if you are prone to getting mastitis (for some reason I get it more than the average person) because you can count on your older bub to help keep things draining!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So how long did you end up feeding for Atomic? I'm fine with feeding & he is obviously fine too but sometimes I worry that he might look back when he is older & be grossed out by the memory of breastfeeding.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So how long did you end up feeding for Atomic? I'm fine with feeding & he is obviously fine too but sometimes I worry that he might look back when he is older & be grossed out by the memory of breastfeeding.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    till 4. Only before bed or when sick for the whole last 1 1/2 years though. Ds 3 was a super picky eater and not a good sleeper and I honestly needed to continue that long with him for my sanity then DS 4 is a middle child so I felt needed the extra attention.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that the environment in which they are raised and the attitude to breastfeeding they are around can make a difference to how they remember breastfeeding.
    My oldest boys don't remember feeding, but they have seen me feed the younger ones, including ds3 up to 2years 11 months. They giggle about boobs like any other boys but they know they were fed with them and that they are for feeding, so the way we can desperate our breast in to two completely unrelated functions, feeding, and sexual, they will hopefully be able to as well.

Feb 2006 Oct 2007 March 2010 Oct 2013

Hoping the future holds a for us......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast