Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amber teething necklaces

Amber teething necklaces... The whole concept REEKS of pseudoscience to me. Can someone point me to any science about them? Specifically, scientific studies that show they ARE pseudoscience, but if you know of studies supporting them, I'd love to see that too. Peer reviewed , if possible.
    DS - 2012

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got one for my third son, after my elder 2 were slobbery with wet bibs all the time, teething powders etc etc ... Felt it was worth a shot and they look sweet. It could be a coincidence that he sailed through teething. Either way, he looks cute and for me it seemed to help him! Only time we had bother with him being grumpy teething was on holiday - I had taken the necklace off so it wouldn't get yucky it annoy him getting his sun tan lotion on. Soon as I realised he had teeth coming in I put it back on.
    OUR GENDER DREAMING SUCCESS!!
    BFP 11 dpo on FRER, ttc pink month 4, (following blighted ovum in February 2014) HB seen 6+0!!! WOW harmony test says GIRL 17/05/14 ... Please let it be true!!! Confirmed GIRL @ 30/05/14 / 16+1 gender scan!!
    Baby girl E arrived 30/10/14, our family is complete
    Thank you atomic
    2003 2007 2011 (IG "failed" sway, TTC#3 mc month 6, mc month 8, dropped all swaying month 11 - BFP!! Blessed with a gorgeous baby boy) due 13 November 2014

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you leave the necklace on all the time. I would be worried about having something around my baby's neck ?
    DD Christmas 2010

DS Sucessful Boy Sway July 2013

DD2: Sucessful Girl Sway March 1st 2016

Thank you atomic & gender dreaming. Feeling so blessed to have had 2 sucessful sways. We would love one more to complete our family and our fingers are crossed for blue

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are claimed to be a natural analgesic because of the succinic acid it contains and it has to be raw amber. However...there is no solid proof that wearing it and having it heated by our bodies does enough to actually absorb it. Not sure if there are studies being done or not.

I have never used one. I have friends that do and claim they work.

Here is one way I think they might work. Baby wears necklace--mommy Believes they work so mommy is more relaxed around baby and less stressed about the teething situation as whole and baby can feel this so baby feels better too. There is proof that babies are profoundly affected by our moods so it just may work in that sense.

It could work in the way it says...If enough of the "oils" are released from being rubbed and warmed, then it is no different really than essential oils which really do work. That being said I would rather use essential oils that are safe for baby and avoid the whole strangulation hazard all together.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl327 View Post
    Do you leave the necklace on all the time. I would be worried about having something around my baby's neck ?
    You are suppose to remove them at night or wrap them around their ankles or wrists I believe is what I read somewhere.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie85 View Post
    They are claimed to be a natural analgesic because of the succinic acid it contains and it has to be raw amber. However...there is no solid proof that wearing it and having it heated by our bodies does enough to actually absorb it. Not sure if there are studies being done or not.

I have never used one. I have friends that do and claim they work.

Here is one way I think they might work. Baby wears necklace--mommy Believes they work so mommy is more relaxed around baby and less stressed about the teething situation as whole and baby can feel this so baby feels better too. There is proof that babies are profoundly affected by our moods so it just may work in that sense.

It could work in the way it says...If enough of the "oils" are released from being rubbed and warmed, then it is no different really than essential oils which really do work. That being said I would rather use essential oils that are safe for baby and avoid the whole strangulation hazard all together.

Interesting. Have there been studies about how parental mood influences babies? What essential oils would you use? What studies are there to support the use of essential oils?
    DS - 2012

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Trike, you can always Google stuff, it only takes a minute. If you type "Google Scholar" into the search bar and use that to search with, you get studies.

Tracking down and posting studies is pretty time consuming for people and they are all available at the touch of a keyboard.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Trike, you can always Google stuff, it only takes a minute. If you type "Google Scholar" into the search bar and use that to search with, you get studies.

Tracking down and posting studies is pretty time consuming for people and they are all available at the touch of a keyboard.
    Generally, when I ask it is because I've already searched Google Scholar and am wondering if anyone else has come across studies I haven't. There is so much out there, I'm sure we don't all find the same on every topic.
    DS - 2012

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course there is no way for me to know whether or not you have done that, it wasn't apparent from your post. Many people do not even know about the existence of Google Scholar. I see people pretty much all the time asking others to post links, and I post this same reply whenever the topic arises.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would post studies I have looked up and read but no extra time, at least not today! They are out there though! Whether they are large enough and controlled enough is debatable at times but I ask you this...does it even matter if it is pseudoscience if it is "working" Placebos are a GREAT method to medicate some people and they DO work. They are much like positive thinking--the best medicine for anything in my opinion.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast