Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastitis AND blocked ducts :(

My breasts are messed up! I am in pain, I think I have mastitis and blocked ducts I am also wanting the milk to stop as I don't want to keep on pumping!! My DD is still in the NICU and I just can't breastfeed and pumping is stressing me out way too much and I am not enjoying it. I have enough breast milk for her to last another month (donor milk as I have no been able to produce much milk for her in 2-3 weeks). I have used cabbage leafs but I am not sure if I should continue with it or just go to the ER. I have 2 spots where the breast is red and 1 big spot that's hard. Anything else I can do? How long with the inflammation last if I continue with the cabbage? Any ideas?
    2/04

11/05
    11/09
    06/14

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it is mastitis you need an antibiotic for the infection. Just wear a really tight sports bra and a warm shower for relief. I've had mastitis multiple times. It's not fun.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks NBP!
    2/04

11/05
    11/09
    06/14

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your first priority with mastitis is to get rid of it!

Please make your breast as warm as possible before pumping, then pump the breast as empty as possible with compression and massage from your hand. After pumping, cool your breast with special coolpads or frozen pantyliner or cole leafs.

If you have fever and it's not going away within 24 hours you need antibiotics.

Once your ok, please decrease the production slowly, which means one feed in 5-7 days maximum. Don't stop cold turkey or you'll probably back on track for mastitis again.

Good luck, hun!
    Mother of '08 and '10

And a aug '14

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you need to go in. Since you can't feed it can get worse and worse and it may even need to be drained (sorry!) For some reason i get it fairly regularly but I've always been nursing so it works itself out - I think you need to get some antibiotics before it gets too much worse. ((((hugs))))
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ