Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

CD Mamas! Please help to determine what works best for my situation

I currently work and am planning to quit and stay home for an year when my baby comes. After the year I will propably have a nanny or have family watch him for 6 months before sending to a daycare at 18 mo. What would be the best cloth diapering option for this situation?

I am planning to CD from birth till potty training. I do know that some Daycares aggree to CDs if its AIO.

Should I get the flip and pocket diapers for the first 4 months ant then get AIO one size fits all ones for 4+ - potty training or do you have any suggestions.

Also what are your options and fav brands for 0-4 mo and 4+ mo?
    our big girl ..and our bouncy baby

Quit my job and I'm now and loving every bit of it (well most of the time

Link to my sway http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...-boy-sway.html

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It would be cheaper to buy 24-36 AIOs just to save money and avoid having a ton of different types of diapers. Also I have noticed with my sons that they got used to our diapers and wont wear anything else. We use prefolds and wool covers but I am with them 100% and our baby sitter is a cloth diaper mom herself. My hubby, FIL, and everyone else has a hard time with them.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Purple. If I do get the AIOs which are one size fits all, will I be able to use it from birth ? Or should I get something else for the first 4 months period?
    Last edited by Aqua; August 23rd, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you will need AIO for daycare, I would probably just buy one-size AIO to begin with. In my experience, there is no such thing as a true one-size diaper, newborns are just so tiny and have such skinny legs you really need something else at the start. If I were in your shoes I would buy either sized AIOs (for ease of use) or prefolds/covers (cheap) for the first few months. Then switch into your OS AIOs that you should be able to use up through potty training.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks gossie. You are such a great help. Thats what I am going to consider. I am going to get these for my newborn:
    1. bummis package(s) that has covers and prefolds
    2. 5-6 kissaluvs diaper for newborn paired with thirsties cover.
    3. Few sized BG 3.0 AIOs for night times.

And I'll keep collecting the OS AIOs (I'm going for bumgenious organics) for later when he is ready for them.

Do you have any recommendation for what one detergent I can use for all of them that will work for everything?
    Last edited by Aqua; August 26th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got the Bummis covers and thirsties duo wraps for the initial months. Do I need to buy Indian prefolds (newborn size) or inserts or doublers to go with them?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Planet detergent. I get it at Whole Foods. You can really use whatever though. The CD companies make it sound like you will ruin your dipes by using the wrong thing, but that is so not the case. I know a lot of people who use regular old Tide (and in fact I have used in on diapers before here and there). A lot of people like Rockin' Green (sp?), I have not used it though.

The key is not using too much detergent. You want to use enough to get them clean, but too much will cause them to get stinky as it won't be completely washed out. For a medium sized load, I fill only halfway to the bottom line of the cap - maybe about 1/2 inch of detergent? You'll have to experiment though, as it depends on whether you have hard/soft water, etc. Regardless you won't ruin them so don't worry about that!

And yes, you will need prefolds for inside your covers. I am not a prefold user but these are widely considered the best: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm HTH!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks gossie. I am not too fond of prefolds , inserts etc.. but until he can fit into BG AIO that was the cheapest option for me instead of sposies. Since I am not going to be reusing the diapers for another baby, I wanted to go for the economical route for the first initial months. I might not do 100% CD until I can start the BG OS AIOs also. I did order Rocking green (I have hard water) to check how that works and will go from there. Thanks on the link too.