Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Supplements and progesterone question! Blue sway

Hello, this is my first post on the site but I've been an avid reader for quite some time now! It's a great community And I'm hoping Atomic will see this and help me

I have a question about supplements and also progesterone - and would really appreciate some help. I started TTC Blue in May after two recurrent miscarriages; one at 8 weeks and one at 5 weeks. I already have a daughter, born two years ago, who I conceived without complication. I don't understand the reason behind the miscarriages, but found both devastating.

Prior to starting TTC, I upped my supplement intake in line with Blue Sway recommendations. So I was taking daily: 2000mg Folate, 700ug folic acid (300ug in Centrum plus 400ug), probiotic, COQ10, fish oils (1000mg spaced). I got a BFP a few weeks ago which would make me almost 5 weeks pregnant now.

Also, because of the recurrent miscarriages, my gynaecologist prescribed me 400mg Cyclogest (a progesterone pessary) to take only once the pregnancy has been confirmed as viable - i.e. once a heartbeat has been seen. I have a scan booked for 2 weeks time for this purpose.

My questions are:

1. What should my supplement doses now be after BFP? Specifically, what mix of folate and folic acid? I planned to stick to 2000mg Folate then wean off after 12 weeks. Should I also stick to 700ug folic acid until 12 weeks, then wean down to 300ug (what is in the Centrum) or should I wean down to 300ug now? I keep reading about dangers of taking too much folic acid! And I can't find examples of any other posters taking this exact mix.
    2. I'm continuing to take probiotic and DVT fish oils 2 a day (I switched to a pregnancy brand) plus Centrum - is this ok?
    3. Does anyone have experience of taking Cyclogest to support a pregnancy after recurrent miscarriage / any thoughts on this? If I can avoid taking a hormone, I will, but I live in daily fear of miscarrying again. I'm still unclear on the science of taking progesterone at 7 weeks gestation, when I thought the placenta took over, and keep reading contradictory info online...

Many thanks in advance,

Ruby

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, feel I had to comment on this. I had several miscarriages before my 3rd baby was born. I researched and asked my OB for progesterone as she told me to just keep trying... I took 200mg split daily along with baby aspirin as soon as I got my bfp and had a perfect pregnancy and baby. Personally I would take it asap but thats my opinion. Follow your gut instinct!! Good luck🙂

3. Thanks ruby_blue thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Research shows supplemental progesterone does not prevent miscarriages. Progesterone levels drop and are low due to an issue with the pregnancy itself, not the other way around. There is also some debate as to what a “low” level actually is. Levels vary greatly throughout the course of the day and day to day. Doctors pass out progesterone frequently so they can appear to be doing something or because patients demand it, but it’s only beneficial to those who have undergone certain types of fertility treatments that suppress or don’t allow the body to produce its own.
    DH (43), DW (40)

5. Thanks ruby_blue, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you both very much for your responses - much appreciated. It does seem very chicken and egg and I'm still so unclear on whether a non-viable pregnancy causes low progesterone, or if low progesterone can cause a miscarriage....

I've got my prescription sitting here but something has been holding me back from picking it up - I think because I did want to avoid it if it's unnecessary but if it's not harmful, maybe it is worth a shot!

I also wonder whether there's a link with polycystic ovaries.. I know my ovaries are polycystic, but I don't seem to have polycystic ovary syndrome, which I believe can be linked to low progesterone.

God it's a minefield :s !

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also if anyone has any info on optimal levels of folate and/or folic acid to keep taking in pregnancy, that would be great!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mylittlegirl View Post
    Hi, feel I had to comment on this. I had several miscarriages before my 3rd baby was born. I researched and asked my OB for progesterone as she told me to just keep trying... I took 200mg split daily along with baby aspirin as soon as I got my bfp and had a perfect pregnancy and baby. Personally I would take it asap but thats my opinion. Follow your gut instinct!! Good luck��
    Many people actually INCREASE their risks of miscarriage with baby aspirin. It is not right for everyone and should not be used as a preventative without having serious evidence that it is right for an individual person to take. Generally this involves some form of blood testing for blood clotting disorders.

Also, since the original poster is taking fish oil adding aspirin to that may make their blood too thin so I'd really like to know how much fish oil is being taken?
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby_blue View Post
    Also if anyone has any info on optimal levels of folate and/or folic acid to keep taking in pregnancy, that would be great!
    I answered this in another post!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby_blue View Post
    Thank you both very much for your responses - much appreciated. It does seem very chicken and egg and I'm still so unclear on whether a non-viable pregnancy causes low progesterone, or if low progesterone can cause a miscarriage....

I've got my prescription sitting here but something has been holding me back from picking it up - I think because I did want to avoid it if it's unnecessary but if it's not harmful, maybe it is worth a shot!

I also wonder whether there's a link with polycystic ovaries.. I know my ovaries are polycystic, but I don't seem to have polycystic ovary syndrome, which I believe can be linked to low progesterone.

God it's a minefield :s !
    Actually it's pretty well proven that dropping progesterone is CAUSED by a pregnancy not developing normally. It's just the natural way the body ends a pregnancy that is not viable. But that having been said, many people do still want to take it just in case and I can respect that as long as they are being given the right kind of progesterone and the right directions in which to take it.

Even with polycystic ovaries, if the pregnancy is viable your body will make progesterone to sustain it.

My greater concern is this - your doctor is giving you progesterone in a really unusual way. Virtually everyone who uses progesterone to sustain a pregnancy is given it right after ovulation (or at a missed period at the latest). I am really wondering about this mode of getting the progesterone. It feels like it's too late, but maybe there's new research or soemthing I'm not aware of.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hiya, I totally agree with you - I don’t understand it either and I’m struggling to get answers. I have asked for a progesterone blood test but have been told there’s no point (maybe as levels fluctuate so much). But if my scan goes well, I’d be starting Cyclogest at 7 weeks which confuses the hell out of me as I thought the placenta took over progesterone at that point… ! 🤔

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The reason why it's pointless is that the progesterone can vary quite a bit and while it's obvious if it's dropping hugely, by that point it would be too late anyway.

I answered more about the Cyclogest in another thread.