Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Butterfly Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    28
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    How To Repel Spiders Naturally - I HATE THEM!!!

    Hello ladies, I had no idea that GD had any section for just everyday life! I'm so glad!
    I currently have a lot of hobo and yellow sac spiders coming into our house and when DH and I moved in there was an infestation! They are dangerous spiders and their bite can be like that of the brown recluse spider. I did get bit a year or so ago on my elbow and had to go to the ER. It was bad! Anyway I just want to repel them from our house. Would you wonderful ladies be so kind to share natural spider spray recipes for repelling them indoors and outdoors that are natural and non toxic. I have a cat as well.
    I'm doing research, there's just SO many options. I just wanted to eliminate all the fluff and get down to what really works!
    As for you Aussies.. I know you have HUGE spiders where you live Is that where the Huntsman spider is? YIKES. I just cannot imagine!
    Anyways, recipes, for sprays that are repellents would be fab!
    Thank you
    Age 7 5 MC May 2012 BFP June 2012 My ~*Princess*~ is now 3 yrs old! MC May 2015 Chemical June 2015
    DS#3 Arrived in April
    I love my Rainbow Baby with all my , She took a year to conceive! Thank you GD!

  2. #2
    IVF Advice Coach
    nuthinbutpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    24,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I believe lavender and essential oils- citrus ones- are natural spider repellents.
    Mom to

    and my IVF/PGD

    It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

    New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

    Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

    Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

  3. #3
    Dream Vet

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    We have tons of huntsmans at our house because we have bush all around but they're harmless. They look scary but we just catch them with a container and some card and throw them off our deck (about 9m off the ground) they can float to the ground! Other spiders freak me out a bit more, the other day I had this big orange one crawl on my hand while picking a capsicum, i let out a yell then. We don't spray just move them back outside, we do kill the poisonous ones.
    2008 20112013

    thankyou gender dreaming

  4. #4
    Dream Vet
    wilma_five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Oh my.....I'm so glad I live in the Netherlands when it comes to this nasty creatures....brrrrrrrr!
    We have only little house-spiders, I think some of them are big but it's nothing compares to the Aussie-ones!
    (yes...i've googled them......scared already)

    This is what I found about the yellow sac spiders:
    To prevent spiders from coming into your home you need to check to make sure all the screens on your windows and doors are secure. Keep firewood and clutter away from the sides of your house and trim tree branches so they don't hang over your roof. Also, take care of any other pest problem such as ants or silverfish that might attract spiders. These pest control methods do not guarantee that spiders will not come into your house, but it is a way not to encourage them to do so.

    Spiders are not as dangerous as people thing they are. They rarely attack or bite unless they feel threatened. If you see a lot of spiders around you might want to shake out your clothes and shoes before putting them on and check your sheets before getting in bed. Check to see where they are coming from by setting out sticky traps and trying to locate their food source. Wear gloves when working outdoors handling firewood or moving rocks. Show spiders respect by not picking them up and practice good maintenance of your property by removing spiders and their nests.
    Loves of our lives:

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Butterfly Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    28
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thank you ladies. Today I'm going to go outside and vacuum ALL the spider egg sacs and webbing that I can reach...DH already killed two adult male yellow sacs in our house this morning! It's mating season. then I'll decide what to spray it with to repel them.. maybe I will just use good old vinegar and water for now until I decide what outdoor recipe to use. I know our windows and doors should be sealed MUCH better..we just aren't sure how to do it!
    Last edited by Butterfly Spirit; May 9th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Age 7 5 MC May 2012 BFP June 2012 My ~*Princess*~ is now 3 yrs old! MC May 2015 Chemical June 2015
    DS#3 Arrived in April
    I love my Rainbow Baby with all my , She took a year to conceive! Thank you GD!

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Butterfly Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    28
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bythe****** View Post
    We have tons of huntsmans at our house because we have bush all around but they're harmless. They look scary but we just catch them with a container and some card and throw them off our deck (about 9m off the ground) they can float to the ground! Other spiders freak me out a bit more, the other day I had this big orange one crawl on my hand while picking a capsicum, i let out a yell then. We don't spray just move them back outside, we do kill the poisonous ones.
    Huntsman spiders are just terrifying! You Aussies are gutsy! I watched a video on youtube this morning of a guy doing just what you said. DH or I would get the Raid out if we lived there! No way we'd let them live! YIKES!
    Last edited by Butterfly Spirit; May 9th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Age 7 5 MC May 2012 BFP June 2012 My ~*Princess*~ is now 3 yrs old! MC May 2015 Chemical June 2015
    DS#3 Arrived in April
    I love my Rainbow Baby with all my , She took a year to conceive! Thank you GD!

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Butterfly Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    28
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    I believe lavender and essential oils- citrus ones- are natural spider repellents.
    Thank you NBP, I saw that yesterday online. I was just concerned about my kitty. I might spray up near the ceiling indoors with it though once I find one to buy.
    Age 7 5 MC May 2012 BFP June 2012 My ~*Princess*~ is now 3 yrs old! MC May 2015 Chemical June 2015
    DS#3 Arrived in April
    I love my Rainbow Baby with all my , She took a year to conceive! Thank you GD!

  8. #8
    Dream Vet
    purplepoet20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    We always grew up with my Grandmas OWT about spiders... and they work!

    1. Never let any outside plants grow within 12in of your house. Flowering plants are the worst because spiders like to eat whatever bug lands on the flowers.
    2. Trim/prune all trees, bushes, and flowers once a year.
    3. No matter if you have a basement, crawl space, or slab under your house always seal up any cracks or any place a spider can go... the really poisinous ones are more like to lay eggs in a hiding space then in a high traffic area.
    4. Also seal around windows, doors, all vents, and fireplaces... so they can't go in your walls. A piece of screen door fabric is perfect for cover all vents for your heating/air and also the roof vents outside.
    5. Use citrus cleaners and furniture polish (pinesol works for floors). A lot of spiders don't like citrus so they will not walk on furniture cleaned with it. I have to use vinager for house cleaning because it doesn't affect my asthma and we hardly see spiders.
    6. Clean your house top to bottom after the first big rain storm, flooding, or 1-2x's a week if it rains a lot.
    7. One crazy one is if you have a wooden deck or wood building that spiders love... In a large pot bring 2 gallons of water and 1cp of tobacco to a boil (full boil for 5mins) and with a broom brush it on the deck and let it dry completely before walking on it. Safe after the first drying so no need to worry about rain.
    2007
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

    DADDY wants

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Butterfly Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    28
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoet20 View Post
    We always grew up with my Grandmas OWT about spiders... and they work!

    1. Never let any outside plants grow within 12in of your house. Flowering plants are the worst because spiders like to eat whatever bug lands on the flowers.
    2. Trim/prune all trees, bushes, and flowers once a year.
    3. No matter if you have a basement, crawl space, or slab under your house always seal up any cracks or any place a spider can go... the really poisinous ones are more like to lay eggs in a hiding space then in a high traffic area.
    4. Also seal around windows, doors, all vents, and fireplaces... so they can't go in your walls. A piece of screen door fabric is perfect for cover all vents for your heating/air and also the roof vents outside.
    5. Use citrus cleaners and furniture polish (pinesol works for floors). A lot of spiders don't like citrus so they will not walk on furniture cleaned with it. I have to use vinager for house cleaning because it doesn't affect my asthma and we hardly see spiders.
    6. Clean your house top to bottom after the first big rain storm, flooding, or 1-2x's a week if it rains a lot.
    7. One crazy one is if you have a wooden deck or wood building that spiders love... In a large pot bring 2 gallons of water and 1cp of tobacco to a boil (full boil for 5mins) and with a broom brush it on the deck and let it dry completely before walking on it. Safe after the first drying so no need to worry about rain.
    Fabulous tips!!!!!!! Thank you PP!!
    Age 7 5 MC May 2012 BFP June 2012 My ~*Princess*~ is now 3 yrs old! MC May 2015 Chemical June 2015
    DS#3 Arrived in April
    I love my Rainbow Baby with all my , She took a year to conceive! Thank you GD!

  10. #10
    Dream Vet

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I would be careful with the vacuum, they might crawl back out. Huntsman aren't as scary as they look, they hardly ever bite and aren't poisonous, my dad lets them run all over his hands.
    2008 20112013

    thankyou gender dreaming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •