Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gestational Diabetes Test

I have to go in for my one hour Diabetes test this week. I've always passed with flying colours, but I've also always gone into it a little nervous because blood sugar problems run in my family (my dad has diabetes) and also because I'm a little older.

I want to make sure I don't end up getting a false positive if possible - I've never yet had to do the 3 hour test and hope not to have to do it this time either. The advice out there is very mixed: some say you're best to fast (although I know it's technically a non-fasting test), some say you should eat a high protein breakfast before going, some say you should avoid sweets of any sort for 2 days before going. I'm just trying to decide how to approach it. I think last time maybe I tried not to have any sweets starting the night before and just had a piece of whole wheat toast with butter and no juice the morning of the test. Do you think that's sufficient? Do I really have to give up my usual evening ice cream the night before?
    Identical Twin Boys, May 2006

DS3, June 2009

Lost at 11 Weeks, November 2011

DD, September 2012

I can't believe I have a daughter!
    Thank you everyone at Gender Dreaming and may all your dreams come true as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly....I would just do what you normally would do. Eat your ice cream at night and then in the morning eat a sensible breakfast....toast and eggs or something like that. I fasted for my one hour test thinking it would be best and I really screwed up. I fasted and passed the one hour and then found out that I had gestational diabetes in the 3rd trimester. I felt horrible all the time and ended up having to give myself insulin shots. I wish I had just found out in the beginning. It would have been so much easier to deal with. Instead it was like this mad scramble to get my health in order.

Good luck!!!!!!
    (8) (6) (2) (1)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm off this morning for a 2 hr GTT.
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice - I guess I'll just avoid having a sweet breakfast right before and leave it at that.

DS3, June 2009

DD, September 2012

Thank you everyone at Gender Dreaming and may all your dreams come true as well!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am sure the one I do here at 28 weeks is a fasting one, but maybe things have changed since I had DS2. Either way, if you don't have GD, your body should be able to cope with the food you eat regardless of how sweet it is and bring your BSLs back to a normal level within a relatively short time frame. And if you do have GD it is definitely better to find out. I sure hope I don't have it as I am totally addicted to Lindt chocolate ATM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have this coming up this week too, Mocha...on Friday is mine.

I am going to eat normally the night before and just have some eggs that morning.
    2007 / 2011 / 2012

Link to my girl sway: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...-its-girl.html

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would do what you normally do so if there is a blood sugar problem they can catch it early,rather than cheat it ,like the previous poster said at a later date and have insulin shots .My doctor only does the 3 hour tests uuugh,and i always have mild gest diabetes and have to test blood daily and change my diet ,its not that bad really even if you test positive,i thought it would be the end of the world ,but after 2 times now of having it its no biggie,just basically watching what you eat.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks again, ladies. Obviously I don't want to cheat the test, nor do I want to set myself up for a false positive and the extra hassle/stress of the 3 hours test. I think it's a delicate balance. I've heard of lots of ladies having juice two hours before and failing their first test before passing their second. As I said, I've never had any blood sugar problems in the past, but I always worry it's something that could come up because of my father's health problems. I think I'll do the same thing you're doing, auroara, and have a high protein breakfast that morning.

DS3, June 2009

DD, September 2012

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Update??? Did you pass?

I've failed the 1 hour test 4 of 5 times I took it and passed the 3 hour test every time (first time was my first pregnancy 21 years ago - they made me take the 1 hour twice and I failed it both times). I was FURIOUS when I failed it this time and they still made me do the GTT test. I almost refused but my insurance company would not have paid for the birth (!) Nothing I've ever eaten has seemed to make any difference. The only time I passed it was with DS 3 and the test was first thing in the morning and I didn't eat anything. Oddly, that was the one pg I actually felt like I could have some issues going on because I would go almost comatose after eating (not literally, I just got super tired and I had to give up driving after I ate because it was so bad.)

Long story short, I think that test is pretty much worthless anyway.

I hope you passed!!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, atomic! No results yet - I should find out at my midwife appt Tuesday. I've never failed before so I'm hoping it'll be ok this time too. I'll update once I know.

DS3, June 2009

DD, September 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast