Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Physical Pain...

I am posting this in the hope that someone has some suggestions!

In the past, through various accidents from various extreme and not so extreme sports and activities, I've basically dislocated my shoulders no less than 3 times each (one--my left--has actually been dislocated 5 times) and when I'm pregnant, my shoulders go through periods where I can't move my arms. At all. The ligaments in my left knee are also abused beyond all fairness and this, also, acts up under the slightest weight gain. Plus, I have moderate SPD (I feel like it's severe SPD but since I'm not in crutches {yet} I can't classify it as severe despite the fact that I'm frequently in tears & can barely move or get up/sit down)

Basically, for me, pregnancy sucks.

Any suggestions on dealing with these sorts of pain? Honestly, I ONLY have troubles with them when I'm pregnant and I actually loathe taking meds, but in the past week, I broke down and took 2 Tylenol because I simply couldn't stand the pain I'm also hesitant to use heating pads. I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything I can do (like when my shoulders are really bad, I wear slings which helps a tiny bit) or if I just have to suck it up for the next (approximately) 13 weeks.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Mom to 5 amazing boys with a girl due end of March/early April 2011!
    :formerly wingless:

CocoChanel
    Why are you hesitant to use heat on your shoulders? I think it could really help.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I have very bad hip bursitis in pregnancy and without my heat source, I would of been miserable.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know. I mean, there is literally no real, valid reason I don't like using a heating pad that I can think of. I have no problem taking "hot" showers and baths and enjoying the relief from those--it's apparently some weird mental hangup with me (with absolutely no founding!)

I'm SO sorry about the hip bursitis.. that has to suck (seriously, hip pain in pregnancy is the worst). I'm going to have to suck it up and try the heating pad tonight. Hopefully it helps! Thank you!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I second using heat. It can really help out.

Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor. I saw one during my pregnancy and it did me a world of good. I was actually quite surprised.. my insurance covered it with a referral from my doctor.

CocoChanel
    Kandi...it doesn't have to be an electric heating pad...those freak me out too.

Have you ever used a rice sock?

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    Kandi...it doesn't have to be an electric heating pad...those freak me out too.

Have you ever used a rice sock?
    You know, that is exactly what I have haha I was just about to go warm it up nd lie down I get up to pee often enough, warming it up at the same time if it needs it won't be too difficult

December: Honestly, if at LEAST the hip pain doesn't let up some, I'm going to have to. The way things are going, I'll be using crutches in a month Sometimes I think she's not head down because she's trying to be "nice" to me and avoid putting any pressure on my hips

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just go now. If it might help, don't suffer longer than you have to!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have read that using a heating pad on your lower back/abdomen is not advised during pg, but I would for sure on my neck.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes! I did end up using it on my shoulders--it helped SOME, which is definitely better than before hehe. I'm basically going to just have to tough it out til March/April (but I'm definitely going to be applying heat when it's at its worst!)