Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

39 weeks is the minimum for full term delivery now?

I am watching a story about the process of reducing the number of elective inductions and the progress the US has made to quit electively inducing people.

Some points that I found very interesting-

At 34 weeks, the volume of the cerebral cortex--which controls higher-order functions such as cognition, perception, reason and motor control--is 53% of its volume at 39 to 40 weeks.

Babies born before 39 weeks often can't learn to suck and swallow well, and they may not be able to stay awake long enough to eat.

Babies born before 39 weeks are more likely to have vision and hearing problems after birth.

Important growth in the liver occurs during the last weeks of pregnancy.

This program isn't new- I believe the recommendations were implemented a year ago but they are saying even with C-sections, 37 weeks is unacceptable because so much of the brain is not developed yet!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah I shouldn't have read this lol my csection is Wednesday and I'll be 38+2. Hope baby doesn't have problems eating etc.
    Last edited by cvd; May 19th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My ob refuses to induce or section before 39 weeks unless medically nessisary
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanting-a-girl View Post
    My ob refuses to induce or section before 39 weeks unless medically nessisary
    That is the recommendation by all at this point from what I gathered watching the story. The brain grows 1mm per day at the end and the risks are 4 fold for issues at 37 weeks, 2 fold at 38 weeks.

There has been a huge reduction in the number of C-sections apparently once they changed the recommendation and babies with issues are way down statistically.

You always heard that "37 weeks is considered full-term" but I guess that has changed to 39 weeks but waiting on baby is what they were generally recommending.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the link to the recent article. I am not well-informed on C-sections because I did not need to have one but apparently, the recommendation is the same for C-sections because there is no medical need and it is an elective timing when scheduling them sooner than that. cvd- you can change your mind! The information is pretty compelling for me.

Fewer moms having C-sections before 39 weeks – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if i have to have a section due to my low lying placenta they won't do it until 39 weeks unless i have any bleeding and me or babe are in danger. i thought it was a little late from what i knew of sections, this makes sense as to why
    Me, DH, the three musketers:

DS1

DS2

DS3

And our little princess

By the grace of god our precious little girl joined our family, hoping and praying for many happy years together

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    cvd- you can change your mind! The information is pretty compelling for me.
    I did talk about the study with DH but we still feel confident going ahead - I am at risk for another abruption and my blood pressure was a bit high at my last appt on Thurs! Just hope these stats won't apply to our little guy of course
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would personally wait the couple days... But I have two disabled children and brain development is a crucial thing I think about.... Good luck tho I hope all goes well
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Believe me when you have children with something wrong all you think about are the what ifs... It drives me crazy
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast