Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Breastfeeding. Should I try again?

I have never had much success with breast feeding. I breastfed my first till he was 6 weeks old, which I found really hard. With my second and third I decided not to put myself through it so started off with formula straight away.

I did try and breast feed my 4th and 5th but they wouldn't latch properly and made me sore, I ended up with bad mastitis with my 4th due to this but I discovered at this time how useful a breast pump could be and actually exclusively pumped and fed my milk through a bottle for six months. It was extremely hard work though and I felt like I was constantly attached to the pump and missed out on a lot of precious time spent with my new born. Looking back it spoilt the really important first few weeks. I was so obsessed over how much milk I was producing, it became like the most important thing.

I had decided not to breast feed this baby due to the problems I've had breast feeding in the past and I don't want to go down the pumping route again as it's so difficult and time consuming and also not fair on my other children.

However, now I find myself near to give birth and I'm questioning myself. I know how important breast milk is to protect against illness and with five older brothers bringing bugs home from school, it's something I worry about. and I know I will end up feeling guilty if I don't breast feed.

So, I'm unsure whether to try again, I also have a two and a half year old that is developmentally delayed and has a lot of behaviour issues. He's been such hard work lately and is very clingy and hates new routines. I'm worried enough how he's going to cope with the new baby as it is, without all the extra pressures of breastfeeding.

Is anyone in a similar situation? Any advice would be great.
    Five lovely boys and my princess Jessica! Born August 2013

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Breastfeeding can be really hard. You need to do what is best for your family and be happy with what you choose. Why don't you give it a go to start with after all any breastfeeding will do her good and see how you go? Is there any help you can get? I've been to see a lactation consultant before and found it invaluable.
    2008 20112013

thankyou gender dreaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I say try it, see how you go. You may be surprised and if you aren't, then there is always the pump or the formula.

I have BF all my kids and it isn't easy in the beginning, I have low milk supply and it honestly felt like I always had a baby at the boob for the first 6 weeks, but if you can get past the 6 week growth spurt exclusively feeding, it does get easier and easier. I find it takes just as long to get a bottle into them.

I use a tea called Weleda nursing tea and that really, really helps with supply, if your supply is good then feeding does get a lot easier and like previous poster said, get some advice in hospital about latching etc... and hopefully it will go smoothly.

Good luck xo
    13 years 11 years 6 years & our HT miracle 2 years

6 IVF Cycles(3 SART & 3 Genea), 4 FET cycles, 4 transfers, 3 Chemicals.

Sep 11 2012: Genea, FET, 1 day 5, CGH HB transferred.
    4dp5dt POAS BFP, 9dp5dt 67, 11 dp5dt 183, 17dp5dt 3832
    Full Cycle Details here Cycle Summary

Finally our beautiful baby girl was born 20th May, 2013

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely give it a try!! Seek out resources in advance, the new health care law covers visits with a lactation consultant and even a breast pump. It sounds like you have had difficulty, and there are so many reasons it can be hard, but usually with a trained lactation consultant these issues can be resolved. And, if you saw one before and it didn't help, maybe you can find a new one this time. We have a breastfeeding resource center in our community and it has been a lifesaver for my friends and I.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks girls- I have decided I am going to give it another try. If it doesn't work out then at least I gave it a go. I am not going to stress out about it this time if it doesn't work though, well that's the plan anyway!
    Five lovely boys and my princess Jessica! Born August 2013

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ask for as much help as you can too, I found the lactation consultant invaluable.
    2008 20112013

thankyou gender dreaming

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also buy a nipple shield in case your nipples get sore. I have breastfed all my children. With my new one last week I ended up with cracked bleeding nipples and had to use the nipple shield with lanolin cream for a few days. I also hear coconut oil is good for that.
    Mom of and born July 18th 2013.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DS refused to latch on for the first several weeks of his life. I pumped and gave him a bottle. Finally out of the blue one day he just did it and it was probably one of the accomplishments I'm most proud of in life.

I had several top notch lactation consultants on my side too, which was a huge help. They are worth their weight in gold even though it can be a bit pricey. Thing is though, for what I spent on the lactation consultants, I came out far ahead because I didn't have to pay out the nose for baby formula. I'd say give it another shot and if it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Good luck.
    2012 (my sweetest little bug)

2013 Thank you Atomic Sagebrush and Gender Dreaming!

Link to my successful girl sway: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...y-attempt.html