Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

To induce or to not induce?

Hey everyone, I know this is a controversial topic and I just want honest opinions based on why I'm writing this. I would appreciate no sarcastic comments.

I am currently 36 weeks and because it is getting closer to the day, of course labor is on my mind. I have never been induced before and with my last 2 pregnancies labor came on very fast and strong on its own.
    With my first I had a good amount of time to get to the hospital and was in labor for a total of 5 hours from start to finish. I was able to have an epidural and even get a short nap before I felt the need to push.
    However my second was very scary and honestly traumatic because I was only in labor for roughly 2 hours total.
    In that time period I barely had enough time to have a family member come and stay with my daughter and then get to the hospital. My hospital is 30 minutes away but it was early morning and there was rush hour traffic. By the time I got to the hospital and they took me back I was at 9 cm and starting to push. They barely got an IV in me for fluids before I almost had her out.
    So my dilemma this time around is that I was lucky enough to make it to the hospital last time but this time I'm worried about getting there.
    My last 2 by some miracle came on a Saturday and the next on a Sunday. But if I go into labor on a weekday I won't have a way to get to the hospital. There is no one I can count on 100% to stay with me and even be able to take me if I so happen to go into labor on a weekday.
    My biggest fear is being home alone with 2 young children and having this baby. And the last thing I want is for something bad to happen not only to me but my baby because I am stranded at home.The possibilities of complications can't be ruled out because no one ever knows if something bad can happen.

So my question is, because of the uncertainty of how fast my labor will progress and because I want to be able to make it to the hospital in time and even have someone be able to get me to the hospital in time, would an induction be a good option for me. And would my Dr. do it. I know the best way to find out is to ask him but curiosity and anxiety is getting the better part of me.
    So if anyone has advice or would know if this is allowed based on my reason I would appreciate the input.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, so much of the baby's brain develops the last 3 weeks, I would not induce before 40 weeks. 39 is now full term so there's no way I would even consider it before then. Each labor is different. I don't think it's a given that this one will be super fast.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was induced at 40+2 with my 4th so I am not against induction at all. He was huge and I'm do glad I did it but I gave him until 40 weeks to get out!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am definitely waiting till I'm 39 weeks. By no means am I wanting to be induced now but with the weeks ticking down putting a plan together is all I can think of

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a tough one! Do u know anyone that lives close to the hospital u could stay with for a couple days? Or remind ur doc of your last labor.tell him your situation & just talk out a plan with him.GL!
    Jan. 22 2008 7lbs 7oz Mar. 14 2011 6lbs 11ozs (my birthday gift &
    drug free water birth baby) Feb 2 2013 my surrogate bun 5 weeks 11/25/13.:9 weeks 5/9/14NOT giving up on my dream for

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is a homebirth a possibility at all? That way you get the midwife to come to you as soon as you need her to & don't have to worry about childcare quite as much. GL

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 2009 2013 (My VBA2C & sway opposite baby)

So proud to announce that after many long years of GD our precious DAUGHTER joined us in June 2016!!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one friend that lives close but she works so I would still be in the same position only a little closer to the hospital. As far as home birth, I can't afford a midwife, the Dr. I have now is the only one in my area that takes my insurance.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why not call 911? Certainly they can help!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If this situation does happen that way **knock on wood*** that would be my only option. Its just scary thinking that. And again I worry about expense lol my insurance only covers so much and I know the ambulance trip isn't covered. I think of all possible ways it could go I would just like to have 911 be a huge last resort

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been induced for all 5 of my babies. All of them went well! If you want, my birth stories are in that section on here for all 5 of them. 4 are in one post and number 5 is in a new post (I just had her). I had a similar situation as you with this last baby. We moved out of state a little over a year ago and don't know people well enough here yet to leave our kids with or call in the night to have someone come over ( i stay at home). So we wanted to be induced again, just to make it better for taking care of our other 4 kids and make sure my husband could be at the birth. I talked to my dr about everything and told him what we were worried about. We just waited till I was dilated and effaced some (was a 2 and 70%, I think will have to go back and look to make sure). For the first 4 babies I did end up getting an epi. BUT this last one I was able to hold out (although I almost caved) and didn't get an epi, by choice. I wanted to see what labor felt like without pain meds. It can be done! lol
    Mom of 5, DD , DS1 ,DS2 , DS3 and surprise DD 2 . Baby number 5 sure was meant to be here, she was born after I had a tubal ligation after baby 4 was born! We are so happy to have her join us, done having kids now (hopefully my body now agrees)!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast