Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help With Persistent Heartburn

Nothing is working! Not Tums, Mylanta, Ranitidine, Pepcid 20mg, and now the GI cocktail at my Dr office (Benadryl, Maalox, and Lidocaine). What can I do? I feel like I have acid sitting in the back of my throat and it is so uncomfortable. I'm wondering if my throat is irritated and that is what I'm experiencing today, since I don't have sour stomach anymore. It does get worse when I lie down, at least it did last night. Oh and I'm 10 weeks and 3 days!

Thanks ladies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Duh! Apparently you're supposed to take the Ranitidine routinely and NOT just when symptoms are exacerbated! Off to the pharmacy to buy the 150mg and I WILL be taking this twice a day from now on. Sheesh, I feel like an idiot !

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tried papaya enzyme tablets from the health food store? That's the only thing I've ever taken. Raw almonds are supposed to help too.

Amazon.com: American Health Super Papaya Enzyme Plus Chewable - 360 Chewable Tabs: Health & Personal Care
    Me: 35 years old. Was an infant nanny and birth and postpartum doula. Now a full time SAHM.
    DS1: Aug 2003 (my first home birthed water baby!)
    DS2: May 2009 (my second home birthed water baby!)
    Oct 2014
    July 2016: Laproscopic surgery to remove a ping pong ball sized endometrioma on left ovary and 3 pea size fibroids on outside of uterus. Hysteroscopy to remove one larger "penetrating fibroid" inside uterus.
    Oct 2016: Heartbroken after DH's vasectomy. Looks like my dreams of a daughter are gone.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to suggest the exact same thing essnce said! Both work great! Hope something helps soon!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is acid reflux you have...not necessarily heartburn. Take 4 to 6 oz of water and mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in it and drink. It will help almost instantly.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't take papaya, I have an intolerance to it. I may have to try almonds. I ate a lot of those with DS1 and the heartburn was not near as bad.

Thank you ladies! I just feel silly, because I was taking the Zantac wrong. It should work now. Today has been better.

7. Likes atomic sagebrush, djmommy liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zantac helped me but i had to take it everyday. I think i preferred the 12 hour one twice a day rather than the 24 hour once a day. Hope you get relief soon!

Sept 2008 Sept 2011 March 2017

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes your throat can stay irritated for some time after getting the severe heartburn under control (and honestly it is one of the most annoying feelings ever)IMO the swollen feeling is worse than heartburn

I agree the papaya also does help but when it really gets rolling I needed something stronger. The best thing is to do a preemptive strike and never let it get to the "lump in the throat" stage but sometimes it sneaks up on ya.

If it is ok with your doc I would try an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen just ONE to see if the swelling goes down. It should only take a day or two till it repairs itself. Another thing to try is a little raw honey, I have not used it for heartburn per se but when I've had a sore throat due to illness it has worked brilliantly.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

10. Thanks XXforhubby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you ladies! I did end up taking one Ibuprofen. I'm back to normal today after taking Zantac twice a day. I may experiment with 75mg twice a day next week to see how that works. I also had to stop taking the Diclegis. It was making my blood pressure higher than normal. Instead, I'm taking my Zyrtec and then doing B6 twice a day. That has seemed to do the trick with MS. My BP was back down to 110/60! Yesterday it was 133/93!! Anticholinergics and I must not get along!!

12. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tried cimetidine? Hard to find and pricey, I always got mine generic from Walmart. If it works and you start taking wvery 4 hours, BE SURE to wean off it, never stop suddenly, as it has awful withdrawal or did for me (constant nausea & vomiting, couldn't keep anything down, not even a sip of water, for days, didn't realize it was cimetidine WD until it was over).

Also, while TUMS rarely helps me, Rolaids often do...they have an extra ingredient or two.

Lastly, I've had good luck with Pepto for all kinds of gastric upsets, especially the chewable tablets, but not sure it's safe duting pregnancy so please check carefully.

Feel better soon!

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after removìng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

14. Thanks XXforhubby thanked for this post