Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Who even knows, but I think you're getting a goofy story (I keep having flashes of Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop telling people he had Herpes Simplex 10 LOL)

I try to use it every day at least once. I sometimes forget and use one of my other lip balms without remembering to use the Deep Renewal at least once a day, and then I end up getting the start of one, but can nip it in the bud if I feel it coming on. I just had a UTI and mastitis (good timez) and I would never have not had a cold sore after that before. But I felt the tingle and started slathering it on and it went away. It's a really good balm anyway and not expensive, so it's not any kind of trade off.

Any doctor giving a woman Valtrex during pregnancy to prevent cold sores is a quack. NO NO NO I would not recommend that. Your baby will already have antibodies!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

2. Likes TaytumJ liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Atsaukina1 View Post
    I don't agree w that. I don't kiss anyone w a sore especially a baby.- atomic
    I don't care and that is your choice. If my baby came out of my body it has my antibodies. Otherwise the entire human race would have died out a long time ago.

I can assure you I kissed and kissed my kids repeatedly and none of them ever got the virus that causes cold sores until they were over two despite me getting cold sores allllll the time.

No one needs to do what they don't want to do, I am reporting upon the reality of the situation which is that the human body knows what it is doing for the most part. This is only an issue for women who have only recently contracted the virus.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; April 10th, 2016 at 02:11 PM.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Atsaukina1 View Post
    I don't use any meds or special creams after having since childhood using blistec or l-lysine it still lasted a week or two if one came on. Now I only get 1 a year usually if not at all and like I said if u feel that very first tingle, tightening of skin and hold ice to it about 10 min. It won't even form. Of course if I had them often might look into meds but think I'd work on my immune system first

Maiden- thanks. A big problem here in the US unfortunately Most moms just have no idea and do whatever family/ docs suggest. Def. Research circumcision since it is a life long decision that affects your not and not the mom or dad. I personally would not give my son any cosmetic surgery that could risk his life with zero benefits.
    It is not the normal kind of Blistex. It is ONLY the Blistex Deep Renewal. Personally I find the ice treatment makes it about a thousand times worse because it can also damage the skin and I do not recommend doing that. Glad it works for you, doesn't for me at all.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol - I agree - I think I'm getting a weird story!! Or maybe she did contract genital herpes for the first time during pregnancy or something and was too embarrassed to tell. I'll have to find out more, but I don't think the story I got was correct.

No on the Valtrex - good to know!! I just saw a lot of people on forums being prescribed that, but maybe they were talking HSV2 instead. I'm going to go with the instinct that even though hormones have been crazy in my body for the last 9 months I just had one sore early on, which was probably due to obsessive stress and testing haha.

I've steered clear of ice thus far because water seems to make mine worse. For me, if I can apply rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover (ouch!!) and then the l-lysine I fair well because mine always need to be dried out. But I love all of the tips - always looking for something new to try for these damn things!

Team green baby due May 21!
    DS1 5/2016
    Baby #2 due May 2018

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Who even knows, but I think you're getting a goofy story (I keep having flashes of Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop telling people he had Herpes Simplex 10 LOL)

I try to use it every day at least once. I sometimes forget and use one of my other lip balms without remembering to use the Deep Renewal at least once a day, and then I end up getting the start of one, but can nip it in the bud if I feel it coming on. I just had a UTI and mastitis (good timez) and I would never have not had a cold sore after that before. But I felt the tingle and started slathering it on and it went away. It's a really good balm anyway and not expensive, so it's not any kind of trade off.

Any doctor giving a woman Valtrex during pregnancy to prevent cold sores is a quack. NO NO NO I would not recommend that. Your baby will already have antibodies!
    valtrex is prescribed starting 36 weeks but for women with history of or active genital herpes to decrease asymptomatic viral shedding from the birth canal for ladies undergoing vaginal birth instead of c section

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7. Likes TaytumJ liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its like making double sure (1. Maternal antibodies 2. Decreasing exposure to virus in birth canal secretion) baby is safe from acquiring the virus which can become fatal

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    I don't care and that is your choice. If my baby came out of my body it has my antibodies. Otherwise the entire human race would have died out a long time ago.

I can assure you I kissed and kissed my kids repeatedly and none of them ever got the virus that causes cold sores until they were over two despite me getting cold sores allllll the time.

No one needs to do what they don't want to do, I am reporting upon the reality of the situation which is that the human body knows what it is doing for the most part. This is only an issue for women who have only recently contracted the virus.
    So they got it after two? My goal is for them to never get it at least from me. I just try to be on the safe side even though there is a chance to pass even if you don't have open sore there is a very high chance to pass when you do. I still love all over babes just not with kisses
    Its A Girl!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ice- doesn't work when you have a bump or sore. For me I can feel like coming days before like an itch or tightening on my lip, before there is even a bump. That is the only time ice works. It doesn't hurt skin because it is not directly on skin, it is wrapped in washcloth. But if you don't catch in that early phase that many people ignore them yeah it's no help lol.
    Its A Girl!!

11. Thanks maidentomother thanked for this post
    Likes TaytumJ liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for clarifying Atsaukina! Yeah...I feel like I can't ever miss the early signs! Maybe I'll try it before any bumps start next time just to see if it works for me. I've been really lucky the older I get the less I seem to have. Phew!

Team green baby due May 21!
    DS1 5/2016
    Baby #2 due May 2018

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebooties View Post
    valtrex is prescribed starting 36 weeks but for women with history of or active genital herpes to decrease asymptomatic viral shedding from the birth canal for ladies undergoing vaginal birth instead of c section

OMG what is with this thread?? I am seriously going to stop answering it. For reals. Taytum if you have any more questions please PM me.

I am talking about going onto valtrex for COLD SORES in a person who has had them for years. It's not medically indicated and is overtreatment. Genital herpes, yes, that is medically indicated even though it's also actually very unlikely because of maternal antibodies, it's a backup just in case.

It is medical fact that in a woman who has had oral herpes causing cold sores since childhood that they will hand down antibodies to their baby that will keep them from getting fatally ill from it. This virus is 60,000 years old or more and infects as many as 90% of all adult Americans and 65% of us have it by the time we hit puberty. If cold sores were killing off babies then the entire human race would have died out a long time ago because for a lot of us we get a cold sore when we give birth and are run down (I've had one 4 of 5 times after I had a baby). The ONLY times where a baby has died from this is when the mother did not contract it prior to the pregnancy so the baby had no natural immunity, and in a handful of very weird cases where a rabbi gave it to a baby, again, one whose mother had NOT HAD the virus and thus had no immunity, through circumcision rituals.

I know people love to terrify the living heck out of new moms for some reason that escapes me but to tell anyone not to kiss their newborn child just in case, I'm sorry that is wackadoo to me. I also know that doctors love to overtreat everyone for things that are not issues (like giving valtrex to women for cold sores) for a combination of money and fear of lawsuits, but that doesn't make it right. Obviously you all need to do what makes you feel safe and happy but I'm not going to contribute to this environment of asinine paranoia that is plaguing our country making us see boogeymen in every cold sore and driving we mothers to the brink of insanity worrying about things that have about as much chance of happening as a lightning bolt coming from the sky.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; April 11th, 2016 at 04:11 PM.

14. Thanks TaytumJ thanked for this post
    Likes Floris liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast