Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Genetic Disorder?

This is random, and probably me just having anxiety, but I'd like an opinion from you ladies.

Backstory: I have a co-worker who has 3 boys and his wife is due with a girl on Monday. They lost a little girl between DS2 & DS3. When I asked today about it, another co-worker said, "They found out two months before she was due she had herpes simplex 9. It only affects her and will only affect any girls they have. The baby died shortly after birth 2 months later. They took fluid from this baby early on and found out it's a girl and she has it too but they were able to do interventions early on and everything is fine."

So naturally it kind of just freaked me out - what if I have this?! I've never even heard of this (which makes me think co-worker B made that term up because they didn't know the correct term). Is there such thing as this?

And also, I've gotten cold sores since I was a kid - my dad and fraternal grandmother have them so I always assumed mine are just genetic. BUT, now I'm freaking out that I've got some sort of HSV that will pass on to baby! And of course, Google just perpetuates the fear, so I had to get off there and come to the real experts!

Team green baby due May 21!
    DS1 5/2016
    Baby #2 due May 2018

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Herpes simplex 9 ? Or it it a typo ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Genetic Disorder?

Lol no - that's what he told me!! That's why I think he made that up because he couldn't remember what it was. I was hoping someone on here with more gender specific disorders knowledge could shed some light.

DS1 5/2016
    Baby #2 due May 2018

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you done a Google search? I once heard of a mum who gave birth vaginally whilst with active genital herpes sores. The virus infected the baby and it died. I've also heard of babies getting sick and dying from being kissed by people with herpe sores on their faces. But that doesn't sound like what your co worker was talking about, it sounds like something in utero.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    We would love another to complete our beautiful family

5. Thanks TaytumJ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Genetic Disorder?

Ok. Take a deep breath . Sounds like she had genital herpes which can cause birth acquired herpes and can infect the infant in the womb in some cases.

Cold sores are a different form of the herpes virus and can only be passed to the infant from kissing the baby on the lips, or the baby touching the lesions when a person has an outbreak.

The both forms of herpes that are potentially life threatening if the newborn comes in contact with the virus. A women that only gets cold sores sheds the virus throughout her body even though lesions only form on the mouth. Genital herpes are of a concern because the vagina and cervix can have lesions that may not be seen and can infect the baby during delivery.

For cold sores, make certain to not kiss the baby or allow the baby to touch you or anyone with lesions.

Hope this helps!!

DS1, DS2, & DS3One last pink sway 2016
    Last edited by XXforhubby; April 7th, 2016 at 10:52 PM.

7. Thanks TaytumJ thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Genetic Disorder?

@familymatters - I agree; sounds like something they found when she was around 7 months pregnant, and they knew baby wasn't going to live past birth. I did try to google, but without specifics it didn't come up with much.

@XX - I know, I need to just have faith this has been such a smooth pregnancy and I'm going to give birth to a healthy babe in a few short weeks. It must be that new mom symptom!

My only fear is that of course in my google searching I found worse case scenarios. No more!

Last edited by TaytumJ; April 7th, 2016 at 10:51 PM.
    DS1 5/2016
    Baby #2 due May 2018

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have u ever had genital herpes ?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Genetic Disorder?

Not that I've ever noticed or felt, as I would assume I would know since I've had cold sores. And of course in my googling I found a statistic that said women with HSV1 could be carriers of genital with no symptoms or outbreaks.

DS1 5/2016
    Baby #2 due May 2018

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If u have cold sores recurrently chances are that u already have a good load of antibodies built up in response and so by transmission ur r giving ur baby protection against a nasty HSV1 infection as well.
    Getting a primary herpes infection in pregancy whether it be HSV1 or HSV 2 is more dangerous since u as a mum u have no antibodies to pass to baby just the virus.
    Congenital herpes can be fatal so i am thinking ur co-workers baby had that.
    If u get active primary or recurrent genital herpes in pregnancy or if u have a history of recurrent genital herpes then u will be pretreated with antivirals starting 36 weeks to decrease viral shedding and a c section is necessary (for active lesions more than a history of genital herpes).
    After delivery if ur prone to recurrent cold sore avoid kissing the baby.

12. Thanks TaytumJ thanked for this post
    Likes Atsaukina1, atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks bluebooties! That was kind of what I gathered - I had one cold sore outbreak back at like 5/6 weeks, but since then nothing. I have an appt Monday so I'll ask my doctor about it then just to ease my mind.

And I'm just going to ask co-worker what happened tomorrow. He'll probably tell me it was an unfortunate thing and nothing to worry about!

DS1 5/2016
    Baby #2 due May 2018

14. Likes Bluebooties liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast