Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gestational Diabetes: What do you eat?

Last edited by SoFullofHope; April 23rd, 2018 at 04:37 PM.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My opinion is that skim/lowfat dairy is terrible for gestational diabetes and will fall totally out of favor within the next 5 years. Skim/lowfat dairy has many more carbs than full fat and I wonder if the reason why your blood sugar rose after eating the berries and yogurt was the low fat dairy and not so much the berries. Eating skim milk cheese is TERRIBLE and I strongly advise you not do that. full fat cheese has NO carbs! Much of the diet advice for gestational diabetes was based on research done in Type 2, obese, middle aged, nonpregnant diabetics. I really do urge you to eat full fat dairy and NO skim.

Here is a link to what I find to be a very helpful site on GD. https://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.u...diabetes-diet/ (they sell stuff, but most of the info is free)

Starving yourself and your baby, eating only low fat food and very few calories - this is not the way to go. This will be just as harmful as another 2 weeks on a slightly imperfect diet. I really urge you not to get so hung up on every morsel of food that you are afraid to eat anything. Just be sensible, focus on protein, healthy fats (avocado, eggs, and nuts are great), and eat lower carb foods. The carbs you do eat, choose healthy carbs like vegetables, whole grains, and YES even fruit. Some fruits are better than others and see the link above, there's a very well done list of the fruits that are better. Berries, grapefruit, kiwi, tart apples.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

3. Thanks SoFullofHope thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you able to exercise at all - like gentle to moderate paced walking for 20-30 mins? I had gestational diabetes with ds1 which I was able to control with diet and regular gentle exercise. I found gentle exercise 1-2 times a day for 20-30 mins did wonders for my levels. As atomic suggests try to fill up on veggies (high fibre helps with pregnancy constipation too) and whole grains. I would try swapping to full fat dairy instead of skim too as this worked better for me. It was also suggested to me to eat 5 smaller meals or 3 meals and 2 snacks rather than larger meals and also protein like chicken etc is good to help you feel full but not raise sugar levels. Make sure you eat protein of some sort with each meal or snack (meat, chicken, egg, cheese etc ) as this helps too

5. Thanks atomic sagebrush, SoFullofHope thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get GD every pregnancy. I also strongly agree with not eating low fat or skim options. Full fat is better at keeping sugar levels stable. Berries and citrus fruits like grapefruit are ones that are okay to eat. Meats and cheeses are good food options as well. I’m probably a bit of an outlier on this, but I cannot eat whole grain options for carbs and have decent levels. My sugars go really high and stay high for hours. My nutritionist recommended rye as a good option for grains/carbs that are good for sugar levels and it seems to agree with my body.
    DH (43), DW (40)

7. Thanks atomic sagebrush, SoFullofHope thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

9. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

11. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFullofHope View Post
    Dear Kelbear,

Thank you so much!

They say that, basically, bedrest would be best for me due to the notch I've got, but with a toddler, that doesn't work anyway, so moderate-pace walking is definitely an option as I've gotta go shopping for fresh stuff for him every day anyway and if I choose shops which are a bit further away, I'll easily manage to walk about 1/2 hour each way :-)

I'm eating a lot of veggies already but I haven't always combined them with protein, so I'll definitely do that, and having several smaller meals sounds much more doable as well as there's not so much time to get hungry in between 0:-)

How is your son now? Did your GD harm him in any way or was your dietary change enough for him not to get affected? *hoping for the latter*
    My son was born healthy and on the smaller side (6 pound 8) so he had no ill effects from my gestational diabetes at all. He is now a healthy bouncing 2 year old. I really hope just trying a few different things in your diet helps and if you can exercise just a little that might help too. Try not to stress as it is unlikely that your Bub will be adversely affected in just a few weeks. Definitely eat if you feel hungry, just try to keep in mind less processed high sugar carbs and more veggies, protein, and smaller amounts of carbs

14. Thanks atomic sagebrush, SoFullofHope thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by SoFullofHope; April 23rd, 2018 at 04:38 PM.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by SoFullofHope; April 23rd, 2018 at 04:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast