Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Proper way to stop Progesterone and Metformin

Hello,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and on 1000 mg of Metformin and 100 mg of progesterone. I really didn't want to even take the progesterone to begin with, but it is what it is so here I am. Doc said I can stop both at 12 weeks but I know better than to ever drop something cold turkey so I will start to wean off around that time. The metformin is in two 500 mg pills and they could technically be cut in half if need be. How should I start to wean off that and how long should the wean take till I am completely done?

The progesterone is a gel cap so I can't cut that, do I just start taking it every other day and then every 3rd day and so on? How long should that wean take?

Thanks.
    Pregnant with baby GIRL #2, due August 2019
    Successful girl sway, born in 2017.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I weaned off but I know most docs say you can stop cold turkey. If it makes you feel better to wean, make it to 12 weeks and then cut it in half a few days and then stop.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve always had progesterone pessaries to support my pregnancies and definitely need to wean off.
    So for instance I was taking two pessaries twice a day, so went a few days with 1 am and two pm..then one twice a day after a few days then drop to one once a day and finally drop the last. Weaning over say 10-14 days ish? At that stage, placental has taken over but still better safe than sorry and stagger the progesterone
    Congrats on your pregnancy !
    Lucky Mummy to 4 sweet divas
    (2013) (2015) (2018) (2021)
    (July 2014) (November 2023)
    Our sway didn’t work for #3 & we had a little oops for #4 but we love them all to bits... not sure if we ever will but somehow hoping we might add blue to the crew, to complete our family, one day...

Fingers crossed for TTC #5 (again) for early 2024!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know docs say it's ok to stop it but the way I look at it, it does no harm to wean off and may help. Enough things we know of that need to be weaned, like aspirin and vitamins, that it just makes sense.

Yes exactly - just go to every other day, then every 2, 3, etc till down to one per week, then drop them.

No need to cut the Met. jUst go to one pill every other day, then every two, etc (while still taking the other one) then start weaning off the second one after you're off the first.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ