Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NO LR for DW when TTC! LR is only for a girl sway and ONLY for DH
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
    What about licorice. I cant seem to find that thread. There was a discussion about licorice linked to autism.
    I am very nauseous and every sugarfree pastilles have licrorice extract in them. They used to contain aspartame, but they switched to Stevia. They are small, but I end up eating one small box. Nothing to worry about? As it is not raw licorice, or?

Btw, very informative thread
    I would not eat them any more. Licorice is something that has been definitively shown to cause developmental problems when eaten during pregnancy and it may also cause preterm birth. No one knows what the safe amount is and it's best to avoid it all together.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Atomic!
    Happy mom of two beautiful boyz
    2007 2009

Prayed and Swayed 2013 (PP)
    My babygirl was born 19 april 2014

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just read through this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents as a mom of a child with autism (my DS2).
    I was the healthiest during my PG with DS2...didn't touch sushi or lunch meat or alcohol, started taking folic acid months and months before ttc, took wheatgrass and other really healthy supps (I had gone through a couple m/c's between DS1 and DS2 and was trying to be super healthy). DS2 was a natural home birth without any meds (my other 2 boys, who don't have autism, were C-sections). I ate the healthiest when I was PG with DS2 (b/c I was terrified if having more m/c's, the 2 that I had between DS1 and DS2 were my 3rd and 4th losses).
    My DS2 had delayed vaccines. Looking back, he showed symptoms of autism as early as 2 months old. I feel in my heart and soul, it is genetic. He was born with it and it was nothing I did. A few of my friends who also have a child with autism had their children's chromosomes tested and certain deletions were found (there are MANY).
    Mommy to

5. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've made that mistake before and this is from someone who doesn't bubble wrap her kids.

I was always so worried in the first trimester of all my pregnancies because none of them were planned and I drank, smoked, and partied (which is how I conceived 2 of my kids btw) before ever finding out I was pregnant. So far, all my kids are healthy although I disagree with friends who say it's 'OK' to do the things I had done and continue to gamble with their own health by smoking and drinking throughout their gestations, claiming that the stress of not doing so would probably be more harmful. There's no point in beating yourself up about all the naughty things you may have done before finding out and all you can do is stop immediately when you do find out and change your lifestyle to one that will give you the optimum health for a successful pregnancy/healthy baby.

I also did panic somewhat before having an infected wisdom tooth removed 4 weeks ago - worrying about the local anesthesia and it's potential harmful effects (as stated by many mothers in forums I've read). However, my dentist reassured me that my babies would be fine and not to pay attention to the scare stories. My consultant also confirmed this and now I'm free of that gawd awful tooth and babies look great so far!

and expecting

7. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    I would not eat them any more. Licorice is something that has been definitively shown to cause developmental problems when eaten during pregnancy and it may also cause preterm birth. No one knows what the safe amount is and it's best to avoid it all together.
    I was craving liquorice with ds2 I ate LOTs without realising the possible harm and went into preterm labour at 31 weeks!!!!
    Fortunately after lots of panic in the hospital and 2 steroid injections just in case he was comeing they managed to stop it. I was on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy till 36 weeks when they said I can carry on as normal. Please please don't touch the stuff!
    DS1 2011 DS2 2013. Successful sway August 2015

9. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just have to add my experience to this... my ds3 was diagnosed with autism this summer. I ate an almost all organic vegetarian diet while pregnant with him. I've always eaten pretty healthy (raised in Cali the child of hippies, lol!), and while pregnant, more so. As a baby he also ate almost all organic formula and baby food and we don't live in a high pesticide area or have any environmental risk factors. He's never been vaccinated at all. So, I have to agree with your assessment. While I have no clue what causes autism, I doubt it's related to what we do or do not do for our kids and more closely related to genetics.
    2000 2009 2012
    mc July 2014
    mc Dec 2014

Hoping for my girl to stay sticky!!

11. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes XXforhubby liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all who chimed in here. your experiences are invaluable.

It's cool these days (and really, like, seriously FOREVER) to blame anything that happens with kids on the moms, and many buy into this because they prefer to have a false sense that they can control their environments and prevent these things from happening to their own kids. But all it does is terrify us into anxiety attacks because it's ALWAYS something (oh and of course there's also studies that show stress in the moms causes all kinds of horrible stuff too LOL)

Virtually ALL birth defects are either something that are easy to prevent by making reasonable choices (like not smoking crack) or else bolts from the blue. The more obscure and difficult to maintain and "project oriented" something is where you're worrying over literally every single bite of everything you put in your mouths it is VERY unlikely that is having any effect at all whatsoever.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bumping

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are funny!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12