Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

If this is true...

Then how can the harmony with Y chromosome analysis(and others like it) be accurate??

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/03/cells.html
    Married for 20yrs, SAHM to 7 healthy boys and one surprise daughter(2021)

Sometimes God's plan is different than what you had in mind, but His plan is always better and He might surprise you later

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they quote a 5% false positive rate. So, there is a chance that the Y from a past pregnancy shows up, yes.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Materni21 site quotes a 99.4% accuracy for Y chromosome. There is always room for error. How far along are you? Did you have a NT scan too?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was 14 weeks when the blood was drawn for the test, it took them 3 weeks on the gender part for reasons they wouldn't say, the other chromosome abnormalities was done in a week and were normal range, they don't do the nuchal scan anymore because this harmony test replaces it and supposed to be more accurate then trusting an u/s tech, I wil get an anatomy scan 18-20 weeks(I am 17 weeks now) so I am pretty sure they are right I am having my 5th boy just wondering if that article is true then how they tell if the Y chromosome is for this pregnancy and not from having boys?

Sometimes God's plan is different than what you had in mind, but His plan is always better and He might surprise you later

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know how they sequence the DNA but I know the Y chromosome is the most difficult to do because there are very few in your blood and it is very small.

I did find this to give you some hope that it is wrong-

As time went on, more and more medical scientists confirmed the fact that fetal cells do, indeed, appear in most women during and after pregnancy. In fact, one study showed that for some women, the fetal cells stayed in the mother for as long as 27 years after the baby was born!2 In other words, motherhood can affect women on a cellular level long after the child has left home!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What throws me is my sister is having a boy too and her test only took a week, same office, same lab, I want to know why it took so long for mine lol but I will never know, maybe because they were capable of pulling the old Y chromosomes out and were trying to find for this pregnancy lol and that's what took so long,

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I live in Los Angeles and went to the supposed "best" perinatologist for our NT scan and they told me they stopped using 'Materni21" b/c of incorrect gender results so they switched to Harmony for the diagnostic testing(which did not yield gender results at the time) Not sure how much truth there is to the inaccuracy but that is what I was told...

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I guess I can hope but not hold my breath lol

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is how I understand it:

Yes, intact fetal cells may still be present in your body from past pregnancies. These are not the cells they are testing. They test free floating cell free DNA...which is different than intact cells. There is a surface protein on intact cells. The free floating cells are removed from your body in the days after birth.

I would trust your results. If they were testing the "wrong" cells, thousands of women would have false results but they are not. The test is 99% accurate, and in my mind if a Y is found, its pretty much 100%.

I hope you find peace with having a 5th boy. FWIW, I think you are a lucky lady, although I know it must be difficult if you had your heart set on a girl. I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and get excited for your new little man. ((hugs))

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well there is that chance of a vanishing male twin haha no I am pretty sure they are right because I can't find anything where they were wrong on the Y analysis and if they were wrong I am pretty sure people would be a griping and google would pick it up lol

Anyway I found this article it goes into more details for you smart people interesting in knowing more about fetal cells staying in you for decades later (this article goes way over my head lol)
    Cell Migration from Baby to Mother