Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man's sperm decides gender?

I've read in several places that apparently you need to look at your partner's family history and that way you can get a hint at what gender combinations you will have in your family. So, men with more brothers tend to conceive more boys and men with more sisters will conceive more girls. I read the article you had posted up, Atomic, and I was wondering if that is the only study on this that has been made?

My ex had a brother (generally came from a boy-heavy family), but we had a boy and then a girl (she was a total surprise as we were both sure she was a boy). My current OH's parents are separated. His dad has two daughters - one with his mum and one with his new wife. My OH's mum has a daughter with my OH's dad and a boy with her new husband. I was told to go on the dad's genes, so in this case my OH only has two sisters. His little brother doesn't "count" as he was conceived by his mum's new husband (who has two brothers).

So, would you say our chances of conceiving a girl are high, taking this into account? We conceived a son a year ago, to which everyone was surprised as we all thought he was a girl!
    2000 2003 2012

ttc 2013

2. Likes girlymom liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i don't know but it did not work for me ! i have two daughters DH has an older brother and an older sister bgb
    DH dad is the second son in bbgb
    DH grandad was an only child !
    so in theory i should have had boys !!
    his sister had the boys not me lol
    may i ask you a question ?
    i see that you have bgb , did you sway or not ? was your lifestyle any different ?
    2008 2010

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Both my mum and dad come from boy heavy families and they had 6 girls. My DH's dad is from a family of 10 boys & 4 girls and his mum from a 2 boy 2 girl family and they have 6 girls and 1 boy
    DD Christmas 2010

DS Sucessful Boy Sway July 2013

DD2: Sucessful Girl Sway March 1st 2016

Thank you atomic & gender dreaming. Feeling so blessed to have had 2 sucessful sways. We would love one more to complete our family and our fingers are crossed for blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't even know since me and DH are both only children

2007 2008 2012

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My dh has 3 sisters (one is from his dad's previous relationship). So far we have 2 boys. Hope this one is our girl!
    Mama to my beautiful boys- '05 & '10

Surprise baby #3 coming in September 2013
    Hoping & praying for a healthy baby girl!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by a&jmummy View Post
    i don't know but it did not work for me ! i have two daughters DH has an older brother and an older sister bgb
    DH dad is the second son in bbgb
    DH grandad was an only child !
    so in theory i should have had boys !!
    his sister had the boys not me lol
    may i ask you a question ?
    i see that you have bgb , did you sway or not ? was your lifestyle any different ?
    I'm almost a swaying opposite with all of mine, but I didn't sway with the first two! I only swayed mildly with DS2 as I really wanted another girl, but didn't do diet or timing, just avoided big O and did shallow release. Quite a poor sway, haha!

I wrote this in another thread too, but I'll post it here too:

First of all, I have been a vegetarian since 1995. With DS (born 2000) I had recently lost over 25 pounds and had just completed 6 months of backpacking in India (hence the weightloss!). I was eating very healthy, low fat veggie food,as was OH. With DD I ate normal veggie food, but the month she was conceived I had bad yeast infection for most of the month - hence my PH should have been very high! With DS2 I was eating a vegetarian low carb diet, so maybe a little unintentional boy sway there, but not much. I had recently lost 20 pounds when he was conceived, so again, not very accurate.

None of them have been conceived through obtaining an orgasm either, if that makes any difference. My DS we BD several times a day, wasn't trying for a baby, just very much in love! DD was conceived when I had a yeast infection, so we barely managed to BD a couple of times that month, and nowhere near O! When we were ttc her I was OPKing and regimented BD every other day throughout the month, except the month she was conceived! DS2 was very regimented too, BD daily around O.
    2000 2003 2012

ttc 2013

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting to read about everyone's families! Doesn't seem like there's much in that "truth" then..? I swear there was some research on it though...?
    2000 2003 2012

ttc 2013

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My dh and I both have one sister each. We are having our 5th baby, and 4 of them are boys.
    (9) (6) (5) (3) (1)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oooh... am intrigued! Have often wondered this too. My DH has a brother, then his parents divorced and his father's new wife went on to have two more boys. My side was more evenly spaced - my mother had GBGB, although my side of the family in general had more girls - my aunt has 4 girls and a boy!

This will be our first child we're currently TTC. Really thinking I'm going to have a boy when it's time, but DH and I would love a little girl - win-win for me! Would be interesting to see if there's any correlation...
    Last edited by bunnywabbit; April 14th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

18/5/13 (4+5 wks) 27/8/13 (4+6 wks)
    Jamie (12/6/14)

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dh comes from a VERY heavy boy family, he is one of 3 brothers, his dad is one of three brothers, his uncles had 2 boys each, dh grandpa had 3 boys and one girl BUT my dh is the only one that had boys out of his brothers, my dhs brothers had all girls (one had 3 girls the other had 2 girls) AND we all live in the same city so environment change can't really play a role, so dont know what happened there, why we had all boys passed through us but his brothers only had girls?

My family is more girls, my pat grandma had 2 boys and 4 girls, I have a brother 2 sisters, my dad siblings had more girls then boys my mom has a sister and one brother, my mat grandma is one of 3 sisters, her sisters had more girls then boys, girls outnumber on my side
    Last edited by XXdreaming; April 14th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Married for 20yrs, SAHM to 7 healthy boys and one surprise daughter(2021)

Sometimes God's plan is different than what you had in mind, but His plan is always better and He might surprise you later

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast