Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

The beauty of mucus!!!

Updated 12-20-17

One of the greatest weapons in our swaying arsenal is something we make inside our own bodies completely with no effort whatsoever!!!

Cervical mucus, or CM, can help sway for a boy or for a girl, depending on its consistency. So let's talk about what CM really is.

Cervical mucus is simply the normal secretions of the cervix which change in volume and consistency throughout the menstrual cycle. It's made up of as much as 90% water. The water content varies during the menstrual cycle, so much so that CM can functions as either a barrier or a transport medium for sperm. Also present are electrolytes, organic components such as calcium, sodium, potassium, glucose, amino acids and soluble proteins, trace elements including zinc, copper, iron, mangenese and selenium, and various enzymes. Interestingly, the levels of trace elements may vary during different phases of the menstrual cycle. Please note, these ingredients are in CM naturally. You do not force electrolytes like calcium or sodium into your cervical mucus because you ate them, your body takes them from the foods you eat (whether or not you are swaying!)

After a menstrual period ends, the mucus is thick and acidic. This "infertile" mucus blocks spermatozoa from entering the uterus. Once ovulation approaches, "fertile" types of mucus are produced. Water content increases, the mucus becomes more alkaline, and under a microscope, the mucus shows a ferning pattern that is believed to help guide sperm through the cervix.

In all mammals who have placentas (aka Eutherian mammals), hundreds of millions, even billions of sperm are deposited in the vagina, but only a very few ever make it to the egg. Studies (in humans) have shown that anywhere from 35to nearly 100% of sperm leaks out of the female reproductive tract within 30 mintues of intercourse.

With those kind of percentages, it's a miracle that any sperm ever make it to the egg. That's where out beautiful mucus comes swooping in to save the day. As ovulation approaches, it becomes more and more welcoming to sperm and actually acts to help them along their way.

The traditional sway theories held that whenever mucus is very thin, alkaline, and beneficial to sperm survival (like egg whites, hence the name egg white cervical mucus EWCM), boys are more likely to be conceived, and when the mucus is thicker and drier, girls are more likely to be conceived. We don't know if that is true or not, but it is totally possible that even if this theory isn't true, that cervical mucus is one of several mechanisms that come into play as some form of natural gender selection. Even if it isn't in the ways we once believed, cervical mucus very well may be swaying for us and even if it doesn't, understanding it may help us to get pregnant more easily.

Using your CM you will be able to tell when you're infertile, when you are highly fertile, help you with timing methods, and it can also help you know if you're pregnant or not. All with the power of mucus! Here's how!

CM has two separate functions. Prior to ovulation, it's very thick, somewhat acidic, and is designed to keep sperm and other invaders out of the uterus. Around ovulation, it becomes very thin and more alkaline and welcoming to sperm. Shortly after ovulation (within a day) it becomes thick, acidic, and protective again.

1. Start checking your CM the first day after your period. (some of us, myself included, do indeed get EWCM very quickly after AF ends in some months) Develop an awareness of how your vagina feels throughout the day (you don't even need to touch it, just be aware of how it feels.) When you use the bathroom (at least three times a day) with clean hands, touch the outer lips of your vagina and get used to the feeling of the discharge. Take note when you wipe after going to the bathroom as to whether you are dry or if there is mucus present. Pay attention to your underwear as well - very fertile CM will tend to take a round shape while less fertile CM will be more in a rectangular or line pattern.

To check CM, separate the lips of your vagina and check your CM at the lowest part of the opening close to the perineum. You can use tissue if that works for you, or you can rub it between your fingers. You may even want to see if it stretches just for fun.

2. Most charts such as those on Fertility Friend have a location for making notes about your CM along with your temperature. Definitely use these! You will begin to see how temps and CM patterns are working together to show you where you are in your cycle and what your hormones are doing.

3. The follicular cycle in most women goes something like this - for a few days after menstruation, there is little to no mucus present (record "dry" on your chart.) Your panties and accompanying vaginal sensations will be dry. Some of us DO get EWCM right after AF ends, though!

Then, CM begins to develop in a "sticky" form (record "sticky" on your chart). Other words you may use to describe this sensation include "pasty, tacky, crumbly, gummy, springy" - it's kind of like rubber cement. May be white or yellowish in color. You may continue to feel dry or you may feel sticky.

Next, CM becomes "creamy". Other words used to describe this type of CM are "lotiony, milky, smooth." White or yellow in color. This is the kind of CM that is theoretically associated with greater odds of conceiving a baby girl. Your vaginal sensation will be wet, moist, gooey, even cold. You may be fertile while this CM is present so if you do not want to become pregnant, take precautions. You may notice a rectangular or line pattern on your underwear. (This is what you're looking for for a cutoff.)

The final and most fertile form of CM is EWCM (egg white cervical mucus). Very wet, slippery, and it may stretch between your fingers. There is usually a lot of it! You will feel a very wet vaginal sensation and you will notice a round pattern on your underwear. It is usually clear in color but it can be pink or red streaked if you have ovulatory spotting. You are VERY fertile when this CM is present so if you aren't TTC, take precautions. (This theorized to be what you want for conceiving a boy).

3. After your estrogen level has peaked and the egg has been released and the corpus luteum has begun to make progesterone (you are entering your luteal phase) your CM will change abruptly. Sometimes even within just a couple of hours you will see a difference; again, this is where charting is very handy because you can take note of how and when it changes in terms of what your temps are doing. You may have a few hours of creamy CM after ovulation but for many people, it just dries up without ever going to creamy. 48 hours after ovulation (your temperature will drop), you are safe to have unprotected sex.

You will probably stay dry (and you are safe to DTD unprotected) for the rest of your cycle but some women do notice a burst of EWCM 7 DPO that correlates with the secondary estrogen surge. Others notice EWCM or a watery sensation (not mucus-like) right before their period starts. You're not fertile and you are safe to DTD at this time usually but if you have any doubts that your ovulation may have been delayed, you need to take precautions if you do not want to attempt.

4. Semen, being sexually aroused, taking Robitussin/Mucinex, antibiotics and other herbal CM inhancers can make you produce more EWCM and earlier in your cycle. Having a vaginal infection, using Replens/RepHresh/Acijel or spermicide can make you think you are producing EWCM when you aren't. Taking antihistamines, Sudafed, cranberry, ibuprofin, and some other medicines and herbs can make your CM very dry. All these situations can make it very difficult to tract where you are in your cycle.

To get rid of semen, you can try using the Semen Emitting Technique http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ttc-...que=#post10773 or learn to tell the difference - semen appears whitish and rubbery. It doesn't stretch like EWCM does and it dries on your fingers much more quickly.

5. If you have a very hard time collecting enough CM to learn the various types, you can try inserting a Diva cup for an hour. Some CM will collect in the Diva cup. (this is also a handy hint to check pH of CM if you are not getting much.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; December 20th, 2017 at 05:07 PM.

2. Likes business.woman liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure if I should post this here but I've heard blood in CM is good near ovulation but this is the 1st month in my life I can ever remember having full out red blood/or pink or brown or anything, near O. Is that maybe due to supps I'm taking, sway is working, my age at 35, or just random? Any clues? Maybe my aging body is saying Now, now is the time to get prego, like a red flag of hello me, I'm ready.
    16yrs 7yrs & 4yrs
    DS#2 died day of his birth 12/15/10

Praying and swaying for a precious baby boy but being blessed with a instead

4. Thanks business.woman thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I should be ovulating in the next few days , my cm is currently watery but when tested the PH strips dont even change. would it be better to use Baking soda or eggwhites?.
    Mom to TTC
    My Ovulation Chart

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lisa -if you care about pH and you think there is no enough cm for you just use ew .It can help.

Just want to add I always had good ewcm and still have 4 girls no boy.
    But now this cycle I have SO much ewcm clear as glass so hopefully this will do the trick!
    +1

Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks I am drinking lemon water and I hope it helps some. I normally just do BSF sense its fast and easy but we have tried that for 5 months now with no BFP so I will try egg whites again. I will also do the baking soda drink this time. I am starting to think that Tamara's theory on IG of BSF changing the PH clear up to the ovary's is not correct.
    Mom to TTC
    My Ovulation Chart

8. Thanks business.woman thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Lisa, sorry I just saw this.

BSF can definitely kill off sperm and prevent pregnancy and in fact there is one form of spermicide that is a small amount of spermicide chemical in a base of baking soda.

Tamara's theory of changing pH all the way up to the ovary is not correct, I agree. Every square mm of your reproductive tract produces copious amounts of CM at ovulation time plus your ovary releases a lot of fluid when the egg is released (the scent of which may signal sperm, BTW) and there is just no way that a fingerful of baking soda is going to alter the pH of all of that all the way up to the ovary and it will just stay that way for an hour at a time or more. It's like saying a fingerful of baking soda on the back of your tongue will change the pH of your stomach acid all the way down at the bottom of your stomach. It might change the pH of what it touches and the small area right around that, but your stomach just starts to churn out more acid to counteract that. Our bodies are not these static, unchanging things, they are constantly working to make things "right" so they can conceive a baby of whatever gender they think has the best shot at survival.

BSF ~might~ help in some way by making your body want to wash it away, so it starts to produce more CM in an attempt to get rid of the stuff, but it just seems to me to be better to make a lot of CM all on your own and forgo the BSF that might kill off some sperm, esp. if you're having trouble getting pg.

To answer your q, I totally agree with flava (thank you flava!) and that I would use egg whites rather than BSF. Natural EWCM is better than egg whites so you can do BSD if you like to raise the pH of your EWCM (but don't stress too much over that pH). Preseed is another boy-friendly option if you don't like the egg whites. Be sure to use a small amount of egg whites rather than a lot because a lot can kind of "rinse" the sperm away.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You mention we should dtd when you ovulate. Isn't that when our cm is watery? To conceive a girl you want it thick, bUT by the time my cm is thick, I missed my ovulation . Weird

11. Thanks T.f.no2 thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Am I right in thinking that anything that helps make your CM more girl friendly is probably going to decrease your chance of conception?
    2009 2011 2013 (failed sway)

HRC Jan 2016 - XX transferred - BFN
    HRC May 2016 - XX FET - BFN
    TTC 2017 - BFP!
    Our beautiful baby girl was born in September 2017!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, that seems to be the key. But do keep in mind that just because we "thought" pink-friendly CM looked a certain way, it's never really been studied at all and this is based on the "old school" sway tactics.

Since your body needs EWCM to get pregnant with any baby, girl or boy, it very very well may be the case that all this talk of "lotiony" and "creamy" CM is irrelevant and there are possibly things going on in normal, egg white mucus that we can't detect that is swaying.

I got my girl with visible EWCM and my 4th boy with NO CM at all, I did not even realize I was ovulating with him and I was checking pH 2-3 times a day. pH never went up and I never saw ANYTHING. So i can say 110% for sure you can get a girl with egg white and a boy with nothing.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

14. Thanks weeziewoozles thanked for this post
    Likes BrightSky, XXforhubby liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveRR View Post
    You mention we should dtd when you ovulate. Isn't that when our cm is watery? To conceive a girl you want it thick, bUT by the time my cm is thick, I missed my ovulation . Weird
    Watery AND EWCM (egg white cervical mucous) are the ones that result in conception. It's very unlikely to conceived with "thick creamy/lotiony" mucous. It's more the amount of the watery/EWCM that seems to be boy or girl sways. However, I've always been a "ruin underwear" with amounts of my CM, including the "good stuff," and I still got a girl -- I just also overexercised, loved my alcohol and coffee, and barely ate, lol.

16. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes GirlieCat liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast