Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

how much protein and carbs?

does anyone know if there are guidelines for how MUCH protein and carbs to eat (in grams or other units) per 2300-2500 calories that we should be eating per day? that would help me to put something together!!

im realizing that eating carbs doesnt necessarily mean breads and pastas but can be fruits and vegies too (should be anyway right). but im also wondering how much of the refined carbs should we eat or should we stay away from it altogether. i mean if the boy diet says stay away from simple carbs (breads, pastas), all we SHOULD be eating is protein and fruits and vegies, barely any bread or grain products. correct???

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gizmo FWIW I am staying away (mostly) from refined carbs, but am eating some whole grains like quinoa and barley. Most of my carbs are fruit/vegetable. I do eat whole grain bread maybe 2 times a week, like if I'm out to lunch and order a sandwich or something like that. But day to day I do avoid most processed food.

I am also going for high protein and most days hit about 100 grams. I haven't been counting my calories so don't know how many overall calories I'm taking in ... I just eat pretty much all the time it seems so I'm sure the count has to be up there. Maybe I'll track tomorrow just to see.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I meant to add I haven't seen anything on here about rec'd amount of protein/carbs ... I'd be curious to know if that is somewhere, too!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yeha i mean im eating like you are right now (mostly fruits/vegies as my carbs) to lose weight and as im approaching the time to start boy diet i feel like itll be quite similar to now with exception of my decreasing ca and mg and adding salt, potatoes, and bananas and supps. id like to avoid gaining so much weight (esply in case i dont get pg 1st attempt and also bc im starting diet 3 mos ahead of attempt) and im wondering if ppl are gaining bc of the salt or bc they assume (like i do) carbs means bread? i know the high caloric intake would make you gain wieght but it shouldnt soo much if its complex carbs (fruits/vegs) and also if your blood sugar remains constantly even, your metabolism would cater to your eating habits so technically i fyoure eating the same foods and no refined carbs, eating constantly even tho high calorie you really shouldnt be gaining that much weight (in a perfect world!!!). i know the goal is 3-5pounds but thats in muscle yes? and was that estimated weight gain for the minimum 6 week run of the boy diet?
    i need numbers ;-)

thx for your response tho. 100g of protein sounds pretty good..

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    During the time my boys were conceived I ate meat with lunch and dinner.... DS1- 2 hotdogs for lunch, with bun mayo mustard, some type of salty chips, and real pepsi. Dinner was 2-3 peices of chicken w/skin, or an 8oz steak, or 1/2 rack of ribs, or 1 Italian sausage with 2-3 servings of pasta, or eating out for pizza, wings, or burgers... DS2 - ham/salami sandwiches for lunch, chips and soda. Dinner was about the same as with DS1 but eating out a little less.

I ate 3-5x's the req amount of protein just with meat and who knows what was in the other foods like milk, bread, etc.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gizmo I've been following the TW style diet for months now, really since late last year, and I've gained 7 lbs. So about 1lb a month ... and I can tell maybe 1/2 that is muscle gain and 1/2 is fat. Last night I was trying to ballpark my calories and am figuring I am right about 2300-2500 most days.

I think some people gain more weight b/c they were previously restricting calories while doing loads of cardio, so to increase calories but cut back cardio (particularly with more fat and carbs) seems like it would naturally lead to gaining weight. I've been eating over 2000 calories a day for years and years, the difference is it used to be MUCH more sugar and much less protein. It was not a nutrient rich 2000+ calorie diet

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1 lb a month i can handle. yours sounds like a good plan mostideal for me. ive had no cardio (just chasing kids) so i hope adding the calories doesnt hit me too hard.
    ive used this website to help calculate my protein intake if anyone is interested:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

purplepoet thx, that gives me a better idea. im a big fan of meat so it wont be hard to consume that..!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by begonia View Post
    Gizmo I've been following the TW style diet for months now, really since late last year, and I've gained 7 lbs. So about 1lb a month ... and I can tell maybe 1/2 that is muscle gain and 1/2 is fat. Last night I was trying to ballpark my calories and am figuring I am right about 2300-2500 most days.

begonia, so why do you think you havent gotten pg yet? (if youve been doing this for about a yr?)

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't tried yet! My first attempt will be sometime in the next week, depending on my O date. I started the diet back in October 2010 b/c initially we were going to attempt end of November, but some stuff came up and we decided to wait ... so I just stuck with the diet (occasionally having sweets though, esp back during the holidays) since the TW approach is pretty easy to do, and because I wasn't sure when we would decide to TTC... and we've gotten pg once before on accident so I wanted to cover my bases just in case. Anyhow, we just decided a couple of weeks ago to give it a shot this month.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    oh okay!! gotchya! ive just been reading a lot about how teh girls on here are having trouble just conceiving and im wondering if its diet related or supplements or age/fertility etc..who knows. good luck this month!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast