Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    Lola, I was looking for a vegeburger or vegesausage in the supermarket recently as we were having a BBQ and I couldn't believe how much protein was in some of them - I think it was the Linda McCartney sausage which had something like 18g in one sausage! I bet many vegetarians have very high protein diets - pasta, cheese, rice, beans, lentils etc. are all very high in protein
    Totally! Plus, vegetarian diets are often higher in overall nutrients than the reg. old American meat and potatoes diet. So you can see that a high vegetable protein diet plus healthy veg. would be much better for blue than an overcooked pork chop and a scoop of rice a roni.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Moosewood Cookbook all the way.

I am going to have TWO boy cookbooks, one for meat eaters and one for vegetarians. Now this may take me 20 years to do but that's my goal anyway.
    That would be SO aaaaaawesome! And if you spend 20 years compiling it, I will help you publish it, I swear!!!! I will write a forward for you, LOL.
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Totally! Plus, vegetarian diets are often higher in overall nutrients than the reg. old American meat and potatoes diet. So you can see that a high vegetable protein diet plus healthy veg. would be much better for blue than an overcooked pork chop and a scoop of rice a roni.
    Well, that is the funny thing about the old school food pyramid....most people in the US are brought up under the illusion that they must eat MEAT, like animal proteins, to be healthy and make a "rounded" diet....myself included! I am just now realizing that I can get enough protein- in fact, a lot- with a well-designed veggie diet.

I may not end up being a pure vegetarian, but am really wanting to learn how to make lots of good vegetarian dishes that I can sub in. Who knows, I may end up doing it fully, but I will likely be an ovo-lacto veggiesaurus, because I like eggs and dairy LOTS.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi flava, I love 'madhur jaffrey's Indian cookery' all the recipes are delicious and easy to follow. Loads of recipes come up if you google her name and vegetarian recipes. Let me know if that doesn't work out ad I'm happy to type up some from my cookbook for you

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This makes me feel a lot better about my sway, my DH's a vegetarian. Lola, if you feeling this way about being a vegetarian then go for it. It would be good for your health

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You should read The China Study...It's my fav book in the world! Doesn't get that interesting until page 60-something but after that, you'll be hooked! As for cookbooks aside from what others have mentioned, I love Vegan Planet & Veganomicon (I know you love cheese but you can add it!).

With DS#1, I was a vegetarian and w/DS#2 I was a very strict vegan for almost a year leading up to his conception. I wasn't counting cals and was a size 6-8 (now size 2 again). I ate a lot of soy (even though it sways girl usually), legumes/beans and nuts. I also consumed quinoa quite frequently. It's a great complete protein! I always had Larabars, nuts or Raw Bars stashed in my car. I ate TONS of leafy greens (Kale, spinach, broccoli, wheatgrass, etc.). I used to have Vega (a vegan meal replacement w/lots of vities) for breakfast every morning w/juice or Soy milk. One of my favorite meals was steamed brown rice topped w/steamed kale/carrots/broc/cauliflower/cabbage strips. I would drizzle (okay, drench) everything w/ a sauce made of of Tahini, soy sauce (I used Bragg) and a bit of water. I know tahini is a traditional "girl food" but I really don't think it is unless you eat a teeny, tiny bit (and even still, I don't really buy that it sways "girl"). Can't wait until I can have that again, lol...

Also, if you want to treat yourself to veggie meat once in awhile, I highly recommend http://www.fieldroast.com/products.htm. No so in there, just whole grains, etc. Mexican Chipotle is my favie! You can look on the label and see if it would fit your boy sway or not (???) but I know it sure doesn't fit mine.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you and throwing lots of boy dust your way!

Edited to add: Almost everything I cooked had garlic and onions in it, FWIW.
    Last edited by Out of the Blue; July 18th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Jen + DH = & ... '08 & '10..........and hopefully 2012
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Suddenly surrounded by angels, we are honored and humbled to be the parents of our twins - 8wks and 16 wks (girl)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Ovulation Chart for a R A I N B O W in 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jen + DH = & ... '08 & '10..........and hopefully 2012
    Suddenly surrounded by angels, we are honored and humbled to be the parents of our twins - 8wks and 16 wks (girl)
    My Ovulation Chart for a R A I N B O W in 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yea, I do remember you saying your DH was a vegetarian, Babydes! Thanks for the input! I know I will feel better, we have been pretty much meatless for a week or so now and I feel so much better. I do feel like I am eating a ton, but it is not heavy, filling stuff, so it doesn't bother me as much as the old school boy diet.

OOTB, awesome advice, thank you so much all of the meal suggestions! You know, we saw a film called PlanEAT which is a documentary about 3 doctors who are proponents of vegetarian diets, and it is all about the China Study. I didn't know it was an actual book, though, and will totally check it out!

This is a great thread....thanks for all of the input. Keep the meal, recipe, and food suggestions coming! Hopefully others will find some use out of this also. xxoo

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of the Blue View Post
    You should read The China Study...It's my fav book in the world! Doesn't get that interesting until page 60-something but after that, you'll be hooked! As for cookbooks aside from what others have mentioned, I love Vegan Planet & Veganomicon (I know you love cheese but you can add it!).

With DS#1, I was a vegetarian and w/DS#2 I was a very strict vegan for almost a year leading up to his conception. I wasn't counting cals and was a size 6-8 (now size 2 again). I ate a lot of soy (even though it sways girl usually), legumes/beans and nuts. I also consumed quinoa quite frequently. It's a great complete protein! I always had Larabars, nuts or Raw Bars stashed in my car. I ate TONS of leafy greens (Kale, spinach, broccoli, wheatgrass, etc.). I used to have Vega (a vegan meal replacement w/lots of vities) for breakfast every morning w/juice or Soy milk. One of my favorite meals was steamed brown rice topped w/steamed kale/carrots/broc/cauliflower/cabbage strips. I would drizzle (okay, drench) everything w/ a sauce made of of Tahini, soy sauce (I used Bragg) and a bit of water. I know tahini is a traditional "girl food" but I really don't think it is unless you eat a teeny, tiny bit (and even still, I don't really buy that it sways "girl"). Can't wait until I can have that again, lol...

Also, if you want to treat yourself to veggie meat once in awhile, I highly recommend http://www.fieldroast.com/products.htm. No so in there, just whole grains, etc. Mexican Chipotle is my favie! You can look on the label and see if it would fit your boy sway or not (???) but I know it sure doesn't fit mine.

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you and throwing lots of boy dust your way!

Edited to add: Almost everything I cooked had garlic and onions in it, FWIW.
    Thank you SO much OOtB this is invaluable. This would be exactly the sort of diet I would advise a vegan who wanted a boy to follow.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PS - I stickied this so we can all keep track of it.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast