Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Vegetarians swaying blue!

So, I am reading this thread again because I am trying to stop eating so much meat: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/show...estions-Part-1. Both DH and I are on the verge of becoming vegetarians....we have noticed that we feel a lot better when we don't eat meat, plus we've seen a bunch of documentaries lately that are making us not want to eat meat anymore. It's very strange how this is happening, because we are not the kind to be vegetarians for political or "we heart animals" reasons....it's really more nutrition. Anyway, I am going to start experimenting with vegetarian cooking because even though I am ttc in the next couple of weeks again, I want to find some awesome stuff to make that is "high everything"....meaning lots of protein! And I will add that before we ttc, I am not making any huge switches, but am trying to only have meat once a day, yet still keep up my caloric intake so my body doesn't suddenly think it's girly time right before I ttc.

Anyone who is a vegetarian and has boys or is swaying blue please comment here on what you like to eat! And any cookbooks or books that you feel are particularly amazing!
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    By the way, the movies we have watched include Food Inc, Supersize Me, and most importantly, a new documentary out called PlanEAT, which was mostly about how animal-based proteins are actually not good for you.
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lola, I was looking for a vegeburger or vegesausage in the supermarket recently as we were having a BBQ and I couldn't believe how much protein was in some of them - I think it was the Linda McCartney sausage which had something like 18g in one sausage! I bet many vegetarians have very high protein diets - pasta, cheese, rice, beans, lentils etc. are all very high in protein
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dream Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Lola, I was vegetarian when I conceived ds1 and barely eat red meat at all. I eat a lot of fish, I particularly like it coated in egg and breadcrumbs or home made fish cakes. I also love home made spinach and ricotta cannelloni, nut roast with a roast dinner, mushroom Wellington. My favourite vegetarian cook books are the cranks ones, I love 'the cranks bible' it's by nadine abensur. I've got a really good new one called 'plenty' but haven't been able to use it yet as it's not girl friendly!! I also cook alot of curries, Indian and thai. Oh, I'm so hungry!!!! Let me know if there are particular foods you like to eat and I'll see what I can think of

Just thought hallumi cheese would be good for a boy sway, it's salty and full of fat. It is lovely barbecued on a kebab with peppers, yum!!! I have to stop now my stomach is rumbling!!!
    Last edited by swish; July 14th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Lola, I was a vegetarian when I had Ds 1. First of all, I´m also a real snacker so I would never have low blood sugar. I did eat fish, about twice a week. And eggs, twice a week. We would eat a mixed bean soup with tomatosauce in it twice a week, I ate a lot of nuts and cheese every day: Gouda like and Italian soft cheeses like robiola, stracchino and ricotta. I also ate a lot of raisins, never realised this swayed untill I saw it on the boy diet, I would put it on my salad everyday and eat about half a bag every evening!!! Plus I always had a large bowl of yoghurt with cereal for breakfast and a glass of milk in the evening (don´t know if I had that in the period we conceived him), so overall I think my protein intake was high, higher than 40-50 g we aim for on the girl diet. For the rest I had pasta at lunch with pesto or tomatosauce or canned tuna. At dinner always vegetables and either fish, eggs or soya. Three pieces of fruit during the day, loved oranges. Ah and I cooked everything in olive oil as we were living in Italy. Even not eating meat I think it was a very boyfriendly diet with lots of nutrients, proteins and good fats.
    Hope this helps.
    6 3
    swayed for a

Dream Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought of another good boy one, pasta with spinach, roasted pine nuts, creme fraiche and parmesan

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my neighbor doesnt eat red meat at all. she has 2 boys

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    THANK YOU! Awesome advice, everyone. I am going to look on Amazon for those books, swish, thanks for the recs for that and all of you, the food recs! I got hungry reading all of that. xxoo

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know much about vegetarian food but would love to get the curry recipes from swish!
    +1

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaInLove View Post
    So, I am reading this thread again because I am trying to stop eating so much meat: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/show...estions-Part-1. Both DH and I are on the verge of becoming vegetarians....we have noticed that we feel a lot better when we don't eat meat, plus we've seen a bunch of documentaries lately that are making us not want to eat meat anymore. It's very strange how this is happening, because we are not the kind to be vegetarians for political or "we heart animals" reasons....it's really more nutrition. Anyway, I am going to start experimenting with vegetarian cooking because even though I am ttc in the next couple of weeks again, I want to find some awesome stuff to make that is "high everything"....meaning lots of protein! And I will add that before we ttc, I am not making any huge switches, but am trying to only have meat once a day, yet still keep up my caloric intake so my body doesn't suddenly think it's girly time right before I ttc.

Anyone who is a vegetarian and has boys or is swaying blue please comment here on what you like to eat! And any cookbooks or books that you feel are particularly amazing!
    Moosewood Cookbook all the way.

I am going to have TWO boy cookbooks, one for meat eaters and one for vegetarians. Now this may take me 20 years to do but that's my goal anyway.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

11. Likes MiaMelb liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast