Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely boy nub, you can relax Viola
    My Nipt I only had like 6% fraction, and it was accurate ..my girl is aaaall girl, just like her sisters ..so rest assured it is correct
    Lucky Mummy to 4 sweet divas
    (2013) (2015) (2018) (2021)
    (July 2014) (November 2023)
    Our sway didn’t work for #3 & we had a little oops for #4 but we love them all to bits... not sure if we ever will but somehow hoping we might add blue to the crew, to complete our family, one day...

Fingers crossed for TTC #5 (again) for early 2024!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks LMSM for the reply. That gives me an assurance.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve no idea what a NIPT is, don’t think it’s available in my country. I see it mentioned a lot, what does fetal fraction mean?

Lil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilawt View Post
    I’ve no idea what a NIPT is, don’t think it’s available in my country. I see it mentioned a lot, what does fetal fraction mean?

Lil

It stands for Non invasive prenatal testing ( amniocentesis for instance is an invasive prenatal testing). It involves drawing a blood sample from the mother (hence non invasive’, no risk to baby here contrary to amniocentesis) and segregating foetal DNA from that sample...the highest the %, the higher fraction of foetal DNA is present in the sample (which is what the lab analyses´ to determine gender, possible chromosomal abnormalities etc).
    Hope that helps a bit !
    Which country are you in, Lil?
    Our sway didn’t work for #3 & we had a little oops for #4 but we love them all to bits... not sure if we ever will but somehow hoping we might add blue to the crew, to complete our family, one day...

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I see! Yes we have blood test at 12 weeks which shows our risk of Down syndrome and other chromosome disorders. No indication of gender. I guess if you want to know gender you ring up and ask? Because surely not everyone wants it on the letter.

I’m in England.

Lil

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilawt View Post
    Oh I see! Yes we have blood test at 12 weeks which shows our risk of Down syndrome and other chromosome disorders. No indication of gender. I guess if you want to know gender you ring up and ask? Because surely not everyone wants it on the letter.

I’m in England.

Lil

In France it was not used til year 2017 and even now, it's rarely done and only for women who are 35 years-old or older. And like you say, it's mainly telling you about Down syndrome and other disorders, no mention of sex.

I heard once that they stopped mentionning the sex in England because there were too much abortions in families whose cultural backgrounds deem a male heir more important than a baby girl.

As for France, I don't think you can ask the gender with your NIPT (when you're allowed to do one at all). Even people going through IVF aren't told what embryos they are transplanted with. And when you ask about gender at the 12 weeks scan, you're more often than not given cold stares. After that, it depends. Some gynecologists are pretty open-minded and will try to answer you but others will just shrug and say "Why the hell would you want to know so soon ?" and get all suspicious.
    2014 ------- surprise 2016

Dreaming of a

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sora View Post
    In France it was not used til year 2017 and even now, it's rarely done and only for women who are 35 years-old or older. And like you say, it's mainly telling you about Down syndrome and other disorders, no mention of sex.

I heard once that they stopped mentionning the sex in England because there were too much abortions in families whose cultural backgrounds deem a male heir more important than a baby girl.

As for France, I don't think you can ask the gender with your NIPT (when you're allowed to do one at all). Even people going through IVF aren't told what embryos they are transplanted with. And when you ask about gender at the 12 weeks scan, you're more often than not given cold stares. After that, it depends. Some gynecologists are pretty open-minded and will try to answer you but others will just shrug and say "Why the hell would you want to know so soon ?" and get all suspicious.
    Yes you’re right! It depends on what NHS trust you fall under... so basically where you live in the country. If you want to know gender then you have to pay for a private scan. Where I live they will tell you at hosp at 20 weeks, but they make it very clear that it’s not a priority.

A few years ago there was a higher number of people aborting girls in some ethnically diverse parts of London which is why it became hush hush is some areas.

Lil

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 1st trimester screening is different to the NIPT.
    The Nuchal scan (12 week scan) measurements are correlated with PappA and BHCG levels etc bloodtest and these give you your risk of Down syndrome result (1:300 or above is low risk usually). It is a probability result (I.e screening j not a diagnostics result. You can choose to do further testing if your reading comes back as possibly high risk (your age, etc also influence this result so may be skewed easily).
    The NIPT is a blood test that will allow to do an actual genetic analysis, though it is not considered a “diagnostic test” per se, it is 95-99% accurate in detecting trisomies (main things it tests for T13/18/21) and gender (so XX or XY)- which is actually as accurate as most amniocentesises.
    This is not standard yet in most places though.
    I did it with my #3, but only did the nuchal scan test screening (bloods plus ultrasound) for my two first. I didn’t have risk factors as such (though my SIL had a T18 girl after I had #2- that she had to terminate at 12w because not viable) so wanted reassurance ASAP, as didn’t want to get attached too long if there was an issue - knowing gender early was an added bonus.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by LMSM; January 22nd, 2019 at 11:17 PM.

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LMSM je crois que c'est ça oui. Mais je m'étais renseignée pour la France et non seulement ils n'utilisent le NIPT que depuis une poignée d'années (des rapports encouragent à l'étendre à toutes les femmes mais bon, connaissant le pays, dans 10 ans on y sera encore) mais en plus cela t'es encore systématiquement refusé si tu as moins de 35 ans sauf historique de maladies génétiques graves... Et même comme ça c'est cas par cas. On avait demandé à ma première grossesse parce qu'il y a un cancer de l'oeil génétiquement transmissible du côté de mon mari qui peut être dépisté par NIPT mais ils nous ont tout de suite dit "non inutile le risque n'est que de 15%"... Pour les personnes que je connais qui l'ont fait parce que + de 35 ans ou des risques sérieux, le sexe n'était pas mentionné. Je crois qu'il ne l'est pas non plus pour les amnios. Une connaissance avait demandé en avec son NIPT si on pouvait savoir le sexe et elle s'était fait jetée en mode "oui mais là n'est pas la question madame, c'est juste pour savoir si tout va bien, vous pouvez attendre l'écho pour le sexe.". D'ailleurs il me semble avoir vu dans les rapports et recommandations des paragraphes demandant aux médecins de ne pas utiliser le NIPT pour le sexe pour cause de risques d'avortements sélectifs. C'était récent donc pas sûre que ça ait changé.
    2014 ------- surprise 2016

Dreaming of a

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ici c’est très recent aussi, mais ça se voit de plus en plus car ça s’est démocratisé bien que ça reste cher (j’ai payé +/-$500 je crois)... beaucoup pour savoir lecsexe tot, pas (ou pas principalement du moins) confirmer la bonne sante du bebe ce qui est triste
    ici ce n’est de toute façon pas remboursé par la Sécu donc il suffit d’avoir une ordo de son medecin pour le faire....qui me l’a donnésans souci bien que perso pas d’antécédents directs. J’avoue une fois les résultats en main, j’étais plus sereine! Malgré le choc du sexe qui a été dur, dur, dur à encaisser :P j’ai pu investir la grossesse sachant qu’au moins, pas de trisomie ou anomalie génétique flagrante (écho parfaite soutenant la santé de ma puce)..ouf quoi! Je le referais pour #4 si #4 il y a
    Après c’est comme tout, il peut clairement avoir des dérives c’est sur..j’ai su le sexe avant 11sa, en France c’est avant les 14sa légales pour lavortement..certains en abuseraient

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast