Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

High cholesterol, diet, and swaying blue

Hi all

Recently my DH and I had our blood tests to check all our vitamin levels plus kidney and liver function. For myself, overall my calcium, B12 and other vitamin levels are good, except my iron is quite low- which was kind of surprising as they were normal last time (which was a long time ago however), and I eat well most of the time, especially red meat, but it does explain my pica craving for raw rice haha. I will be taking Ferro-gradC tablets for several months to increase my iron levels.

Another thing that surprised me were my cholesterol levels. They have always been normal, but this time the reading was higher (5.5). However my doctor said that I have higher levels of the "good" cholesterol, and moderate levels of "bad" cholesterol. I consume a lot of dairy, nuts, and meat, plus eggs a couple of times a week. It may have led to the higher levels of HDL cholesterol. My doctor told me to eat less fried foods and everything should be fine. I am almost 23 years old, 5'4", and weigh 50 kg, so I don't have any weight issues atm. Luckily I can eat whatever and not gain any weight, but let's see if this is still true in a few years time lol.

For DH (he is 33 and 5'9") everything was fine thankfully, all his vitamin levels are normal, except his cholesterol reading is also a little higher this time. He has higher levels of "bad" cholesterol, and again to control that he's been told to consume less fried foods and takeaway (that's my fault though, I eat out quite a bit and he's gotten into the habit now too, married life things I guess ).

-- I want to ask however, how will my cholesterol levels affect my sway? We don't intend to start trying until July/August this year, and I don't want my levels to go all "bad", but will trying to lower them affect a blue sway? Furthermore, Ramadan will be coming up in May this year, and although the fasts will be short as we live in the southern hemisphere (12 hours), how will this affect my sway and what must I do now and afterwards to counteract any changes to my diet/lifestyle?

Our doctor also didn't prescribe any multivitamins, since we are already getting everything from our food as she said, but again will this matter if I don't take one? I do intend on taking a prenatal and a probiotic a few months before my sway however.

-- Also, here is a general look into my diet every day:

Breakfast: Banana, peanut butter, ice and full cream milk smoothie (having this almost every day because the weather is so hot). Other days: Flatbread/chippati cooked in olive oil or ghee with: egg, sautéed potatoes and onions, pickles, okra and onions. Cereal, or leftovers from last night.

Snack: Anything really, including almond nuts, peanuts, chips, fries, some fruit

Lunch: Chicken biryani with a side of plain yogurt, lamb pulao rice, chicken lamb or beef curry with homemade naan bread sprinkled with sesame, lamb mince, chicken vege pasta with cheese (and lots of pasta sauce and spices), lasagne, homemade chicken fillet or lamb mince burgers, takeaway food, rice with lentils and salad, chicken tikka with bbq sauce and mint chutney, pizza, stir fry noodles with carrots beans and a boiled egg, Turkish rice and kebabs with chili sauce, chicken or lamb/lentil kebab sandwiches, leftovers from last night.

Snack: nuts, cup of milk, mango or banana smoothie, chips, a boiled egg, chicken and cheese puff pastry sandwiches, buttered toast and jam, hommus dip with crackers, mango and macadamia ice cream,

Dinner: Same as lunch menu, any protein with rice or flatbread/naan. Every now and then we eat out at restaurants.

Before bed: Milk with milo, chips, dates, anything lol because I get hungry

Drinks throughout the day: water, black tea with a dash of milk and muscovado brown sugar, fresh fruit juices, vege and fruit V8, other bottled fruit juices (will incorporate grapefruit juice, lemon water and coconut water later on, too), every now and then: pepsi/coke, fanta, rooh afza rose sherbet

For DH, he has the same breakfast as me but due to his job he can't snack or eat properly, so he comes home and has a late dinner (at work he will have cup of coffee or pie). On days off he eats normal but doesn't snack much. He also has 2 cups of boiled full cream milk black tea a day.

Sorry for the long ramble! Hope everything is more clear now, but let me know if there's anything else I should keep an eye on or change
    Last edited by hurrem; January 24th, 2019 at 04:21 AM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just tagging in because I'm curious too -- DH has high cholesterol as well and is trying to naturally lower it, and I can only wonder if his consistent borderline cholesterol issues over the years has contributed to his crappy sperm/him shooting out abnormal Ys.

FYI, eggs in moderation do not contribute to poor cholesterol levels! That's from back when doctors thought dietary cholesterol = blood serum cholesterol, and now we know that's not how it works. Fried foods definitely can play a role, though!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh gosh can you guys bump this for me?? WAnt to give you my best effort.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

4. Likes hurrem liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi!
    As a side note, for a blue sway yes you do get lots of protein, but probably a tad too much carbs/ not enough veg?
    Might be worthwhile getting more nutrients in by getting your calories more via fruit and Veg if you can
    Good luck!
    Lucky Mummy to 4 sweet divas
    (2013) (2015) (2018) (2021)
    (July 2014) (November 2023)
    Our sway didn’t work for #3 & we had a little oops for #4 but we love them all to bits... not sure if we ever will but somehow hoping we might add blue to the crew, to complete our family, one day...

Fingers crossed for TTC #5 (again) for early 2024!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway_panther View Post
    Just tagging in because I'm curious too -- DH has high cholesterol as well and is trying to naturally lower it, and I can only wonder if his consistent borderline cholesterol issues over the years has contributed to his crappy sperm/him shooting out abnormal Ys.

FYI, eggs in moderation do not contribute to poor cholesterol levels! That's from back when doctors thought dietary cholesterol = blood serum cholesterol, and now we know that's not how it works. Fried foods definitely can play a role, though!
    I think cholesterol does play a role, as diet can have an effect on sperm production. My father became overweight after marriage, and has also had some issues with cholesterol in the past. We are 3 sisters and 1 brother, evident that the weight of the father may correlate to children's gender.

For eggs: yes I have also read about this! Recent science has debunked the link between eggs and cholesterol, it's only when you eat a crazy amount everyday for a long time, then it's an issue (as with most foods).

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LMSM View Post
    Hi!
    As a side note, for a blue sway yes you do get lots of protein, but probably a tad too much carbs/ not enough veg?
    Might be worthwhile getting more nutrients in by getting your calories more via fruit and Veg if you can
    Good luck!
    That's what I'm trying to improve on, eating more fruit and veg, it's hard for me though! I've started drinking lemon water so that can count as a fruit, but otherwise it's something I only eat every now and then. Idk, I just feel like snacking on chips and other savoury foods all the time, I'm not much into sweets (only some cake and chocolate every now and then), but I do like stir fried vegetables, so I'll include more of that

8. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrem View Post
    That's what I'm trying to improve on, eating more fruit and veg, it's hard for me though! I've started drinking lemon water so that can count as a fruit, but otherwise it's something I only eat every now and then. Idk, I just feel like snacking on chips and other savoury foods all the time, I'm not much into sweets (only some cake and chocolate every now and then), but I do like stir fried vegetables, so I'll include more of that
    That’s a good idea if you can...I think you will be fine if you can just change somewhat from what you normally do
    Lucky Mummy to 4 sweet divas
    (2013) (2015) (2018) (2021)
    (July 2014) (November 2023)
    Our sway didn’t work for #3 & we had a little oops for #4 but we love them all to bits... not sure if we ever will but somehow hoping we might add blue to the crew, to complete our family, one day...

Fingers crossed for TTC #5 (again) for early 2024!

10. Likes hurrem liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The truth is, we honestly don't know the answer to your question.

Personally at 23, healthy weight and with good levels of good cholesterol I think it's rather silly for your doctor to be worried about that, but it's always a good idea to eat less fried foods and junk anyway.

It should not hurt your sway at all and in fact should help it, but honestly it's never been studied adequately and we really do not know. I would continue to eat good levels of real foods (full fat dairy, meat, healthy fats, nuts, eggs) and cut back on junk food and fried food and that will be good for your sway anyway.

Ramadan in May and TTC in July/August is plenty of time to undo any of the potential harm of the fasting.

I always suggest starting a multivitamin sooner rather than later, because it does happen that you have an accidental pregnancy in the meantime before you start to sway. It's a small thing but may help a bit just in case.

Your diet looks really good to me - very much the type of eating I did when I got my boys.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway_panther View Post

These are the types of things I'd love to investigate. We just don't know.

eggs have been vindicated in the cholesterol dept. I have chickens so eat tons of eggs, and I had my cholesterol checked last year and it was really good (one person doesn't prove anything of course but since I do eat 2 eggs or more daily it can't be that daily eggs always causes high cholesterol) I think eggs are a very blue friendly food (when eaten as a part of an overall HE friendly diet) and I recommend them for blue swayers 4-6 a week.

13. Likes hurrem liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LMSM View Post
    Hi!
    Good luck!
    yes do be on the lookout for this. When you're swaying blue you want to "spend" your cals wisely to get the most nutrients for the least amount of cals (to prevent excess weight gain)

But that having been said many of us with all boys can eat a LOT and not gain weight. So if you're in that situation already, and can eat like that all day and stay at a healthy weight, then you don't need to cut back on carbs, just eat more veg in addition.

I just don't want you to cut back on carbs and end up losing weight! let your metabolism be your guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast