Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Boy Sway

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi atomic, bad news I’m afraid we lost our baby on Sunday night, no signs or warnings I just bled a lot and the baby came with it (which was traumatising in itself, I’ll never forget it’s little hand ).

No sickness, pain, nothing. I was 11 weeks and just didn’t expect it, especially after the viability scan which was perfect. I had a large cyst on my left ovary but don’t think that would have affected anything?

We are going to keep trying, and wondered what prenatal vitamins you’d recommend that are available in the uk?

I know it will take time for us be able to try but I want to give my body as much prep as possible.

I am starting to doubt that once a heartbeat has been seen the risk of miscarriage drops dramatically? I was told it drops to 1.4% but I just can’t believe that! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh gosh I'm so terribly sorry to hear this, how heartbreaking.

Is there any way you'd be able to get in to see a doctor? I think you should have your thyroid checked, ask about incompetent cervix (tho this usually is an issue later on, the way you describe the loss makes me think you should discuss it with someone), and perhaps a workup for any clotting disorders to be sure this doesn't happen again.

While late term losses are much less likely, you're right in questioning that statistic. There are different studies that have given a variety of results (because they do them in different sample groups, most likely), but the commonly agreed upon figure is that 80% of pregnancy losses happen before the 13th week. The March of Dimes also reports that only about 5% of pregnancies end after that point (so something about this number doesn't quite make sense either, unless 15% of pregnancies are ending IN the 13th week??? - but this is what is quoted by reputable sources.)

Miscarriage statistics. They're terrible and totally unreliable and doctors really don't seem too troubled by it as long as it gets patients out of their offices faster. :/

In either case this is more than 1.5 after hearing the heartbeat. I suspect that what is happening with that stat, which is also widely quoted, is that they're misreporting on how many miscarriages end at that point, and not the number of pregnancies overall that end in miscarriage, if that makes sense.

The good news is that having a miscarriage doesn't mean you're going to have another one. But I do really think it's good to get in to have that thyroid checked as that's one of the predominant causes we've seen of later losses. It's also a fairly easy test to request as most docs will happily order the test. The other potential causes of late first tri losses are less easy to get tested for, unfortunately, but certainly worth a try.

I would have you take mostly folate (up to 1500 mcg total plus the amount in your vitamin) instead of folic acid, and you can take Centrum in the UK (this does not have folate, but it has such good levels of everything else that it's worth taking and then add the folate onto that.)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know the hospital did a full run on my bloods, and everything was perfect. Unsure if that included any thyroid stuff though, I will make an app to try and get them checked - in the uk they normally don’t follow any requests hah.

A few years back I had an abnormal smear (CIN3) and had to have LLETZ treatment, but I’ve since had a smear which came back fine, no scarring, but I do have an entropic cervix now, which they said wouldn’t be an issue.

When I say no pain, I mean it wasn’t painful but I did have cramps, I had the ‘worst’ ones when I felt the fluid leak in my pants, and the baby came within minutes after. I thought it was meant to be agony. My labour with my daughter was quite quick, it took about 20 minutes to get to the point of pushing (which was then 3.5 hours).

I have ordered the centrum vits, thank you!

I just wish we could get an answer! I was meant to be 11 weeks but think it must have been a week or so before, the little eye was covered in skin and the fingers were still webbed. I know that sounds so awful, I’ll never forget it.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aaagh the vits I’ve ordered are just ones for women, we can’t get the pregnancy ones in the UK anymore.

Is there another you would recommend? X

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, if there's any way, thyroid issues are one of the biggest causes of later losses so either to see if you were tested or else get the levels checked would be helpful.

Yes usually that's not an issue re the cervix so I'd not suspect an incompetent cervix per se (those losses usually happen later on in pregnancy) but the way you describe it happening does sound somewhat like that could be. Worth checking out, though I know in the UK it's a bit harder to have them check things (only if THEY think it's necessary)

It may be from what you describe, that the baby had passed the week before and that is why it had stopped developing. In that case it's even less likely that it was incompetent cervix. EVeryone responds differently to a loss, some are easy and painless, others are just like being in labor. No one knows why this is, but likely has to do with how much of the process completes on its own.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, especially so unexpectedly without having time to get your head around it.

The Centrum for Women is the one you want. They are comparable to any prenatal vitamin and are ok to even take in pregnancy (as long as you're not taking a bunch of other vitamins at the same time).

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks atomic. Would these ones be okay?
    I used to work in a coagulation lab and was always having my blood taken as I always gave text book results, my intrinsic and extrinsic factor levels and generic PT, APTT and thrombin levels were always perfect. I do wonder if these could have changed when starting my MS treatment!

Bleeding has stopped so back to square one just waiting for a negative test, I feel so callous! X

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, levels can change over time and having MS could absolutely lead to changes in your levels (entirely aside from the treatment!)

Those supps are fine, though I do generally recommend going with a smaller dose more often for better absorption - so 400/500 taken more often, like morning and night instead of just once if that makes sense.

Aww, there's nothing callous about it, your feelings are perfectly valid and it's absolutely normal to want to move on to a healthy pregnancy. In fact that's a very common response to a loss. Hang in there - thinking of you!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Will try a lower amount and take it more through the day!

I just wanted to share the UK centrum for women vits:

The Vitamin A seems high, is that okay?

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also wanted to ask about cod liver oil liquid, is this something that is worth taking? :

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The cutoff dose for Vitamin A in pregnancy is higher than that. The recommended intake overall during pregnancy is 770 ug so the Centrum is below that so as long as you're not taking a bunch of other supplements (see my warning about that above) or eating a lot of foods that are fortified with Vit. A - which it's quite unusual to see anyone fortifying foods with Vitamin A - it is fine to take. The maximum amount where harm is caused is all the way up at 3000 ug a day. Do not eat liver or liver sausage (you shouldn't eat this in pregnancy anyway, and few do) because it has high amounts of preformed Vitamin A, and keep salmon and other fish to 2 servings a week (which is my guideline anyway) and you are fine with that. I took that exact product during my last three pregnancies.

I don't think you should be taking cod liver oil. Firstly, it HAS Vitamin A in it (so this would be an additional Vit. A supplement which I don't recommend) and if you're already on fish oil or DHA, taking cod liver oil would be too much, and could end up causing you to bleed too easily. My preference is always fish oil/DHA, never cod liver oil for anyone when TTC.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast