Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Period cycle messed up - maybe because of folic acid/supplements?

I started the HE diet in earnest at the beginning of Jan and started taking folic acid (400mg x 3), multivitamin and vitamin D. My last period was 4-8th Jan, and after that I have just started my period today on 17th March. My cycle hasn’t been this delayed since I had my daughter a few years ago.

Question: Does anyone have experience of this when they went on a HE diet and taking supplements?
    My BMI is 23, the heaviest I have been since giving birth a few years ago. Perhaps I gained weight too quickly which messed up my cycle…if anybody has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Some background and further info:
    It was going all well until after my period ended on 8th Jan I couldn’t track my ovulation. The clearblue test started indicating high fertility for over a week (this was on 29th Jan) but I never reached the peak smiley. So I gave up and kind of started skipping the folic acid doses and reduced multivitamin to every other day.

My cycles are usually on the longer side on average 36-38 days. Ovulation I’m not sure about as it was my first time trying to track in Jan.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My guess is that it's the sudden weight loss. It can mess up your cycle quite a bit to gain a lot of weight.

What multivitamin are you taking? Sometimes if they have very high doses of B6 it can delay cycles, as can some herbs that are sometimes added to prenatals.

Can you think back about two weeks ago?? Did you have any signs or symptoms of ovulation at that time??
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for your reply Atomic. I gained about ~5kg in 1.5months which now to me sounds a lot (esp as I’m writing this!).

I’m attaching pictures of my multivitamin (here’s also a link: https://www.boots.com/boots-a-z-180-tablets-10274970)

Hmm about two weeks ago I didn’t have any signs but perhaps about 3.5weeks ago I did have some discharge that I recorded on my cycle tracking app. Sorry for TMI, it was thicker than EWCM and was for a few days. I stupidly don’t think I tested using ovulation strip/clearblue as I was tired of seeing high fertility…

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The ingredients show B6 to be 100% NRV so not too high so it must be the sudden weight gain as you suggest.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It couldn't have been 3.5 weeks ago though, because then your period would have come after about 14 days. Most likely, you did ovulate about 2 weeks ago, but it's also possible that this is what's called a "breakthrough bleed" where your estrogen drops a little and it triggers your uterine lining to slough off. It's not a true period really, but it works out well because it's still a reset for your hormones and hopefully your body will have adjusted more to the weight gain next cycle.

7. Thanks Ttc-blue thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttc-blue View Post
    The ingredients show B6 to be 100% NRV so not too high so it must be the sudden weight gain as you suggest.
    Yup I agree the doses in that shouldn't be enough to change your cycle so my money is on the weight gain. The good news is, your body should adjust to that over time. Don't gain more though. Start cutting back some on things like fruit juice, potatoes, bread, dried fruit, and anything sweet you're eating (candy, cookies, etc). THat should slow down the weight gain or hopefully even stop it.

9. Likes Ttc-blue liked this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Atomic, will start cutting down on the things you wrote.

One more question (thank you for your patience!) - in the forums I have read that sudden weight gain sways pink so should I skip trying to TTC this cycle? I had my last period day today and was going to track ovulation and TTC, but I can wait until after my next period as I’m in no hurry.

11. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, you should still try. That is not the type of weight gain that sways pink. I have had people gain 20=30 kg in the same amount of time you're talking about.

You should absolutely completely 100% try.

13. Thanks Ttc-blue thanked for this post