Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does freshest sperm always win out over older sperm for timing?

I am trying to figure out why one would do multiple BD up to O-is it beucause we are not sure of O and want to hedge our bets? If we were to do O-3 and O-1, would the sperm closest to the day of O always win out? Or are the older sperm there in the F. tube wating and possibly beating out the sperm of a BD on -1 or O day?

I have just purchased a CB fertility monitor as it is how I got pg with DD 8 yrs ago, but looking at miy chart from then I BD'd every other day, sometimes every day, past O, right through my peak. Would the sperm closest to O always win, in which case I would have conceived her on O day?

Am thinking of foregoing timing comlpetely and just going with the 1 day I get the first egg on my monitor once it gets here or the first really dark OPK (even though I know some think this is boy territory).

again sorry if this hass been asked already!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shettles Method and other studies say that sperm could live up to 4-7 days in the female body. Male swimmers are believed to not live as long but girl swimmers can live a day or two longer.

For conceiving a boy you want to be 1-2 days before O or on O so the "faster" male sperm will reach the egg first. Eating and drinking some foods are believed to make the male swimmers hyper so they will swim faster.

For conceiving a girl it is best to DTD 3-5 days before O so the male swimmers die off and the girl swimmers can just hang out until the egg comes. A low ph shocks or kills the male swimmers while allowing the female swimmers to move on.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had assumed Shettles had been disproven-based on the research I have read, that it may have some bearing on gender becasue alkalinity increases near ovulation, but assuming one controls for those factoris via diet and pH (i.e. I was inclinded to think that as long as I keep pH low and CM to a minimum through zyrtec and diet) that timing wouldn't matter so much, if at all (I know it is condsidered the least imortant of the swaying facotrs). I feel like I have read so many studies indicating timing doesn't matter, and shettes success rate is about 50% from what I have read and heard-so my inclination is that other than O+12 (which is risky for me as I am older) I am starting to think timing will not make a difference. (I have 2 girls and 2 boys, and both were concieved DTD close to O...)Not sure if others feel similarly? Or is shettles more supported than I thought?

And the original question also is, if shettles IS onto something-would the sperm closest to DTD still win out or is it worrth doing an earlier attempt at O-3 because that sperm that is left is indeed mostly X and might be there waiting?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think the older guys would be a bit tired since they'd have been swimming for a longer period...??? Poor little, tired guys swimming so hard and for so long and all for nothing when a fresh little guy motors past... I'm not sure...just taking a guess, lol.
    Jen + DH = & ... '08 & '10..........and hopefully 2012
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Suddenly surrounded by angels, we are honored and humbled to be the parents of our twins - 8wks and 16 wks (girl)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Ovulation Chart for a R A I N B O W in 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Atomic says there are studies show that both type of sperm swim at the same speed and live for the same time. So there is no different in between the 2. Shettles was wrong about it.
    Im also interested about this Q!
    But then why dtd on O-1 if the sperm would win anyway from O-3 waiting around? Or the other way why do it O-3 if the sperm of the O-1 would win anyway because it's closer?
    So why not just do it once if the sperms from the other BD don't matter? or do they have the same chance no matter what? This is confusing
    +1

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe ever theory has some kind of % value... if Shettles only helps _%, supps/herbs/vita/diet helps _%, weight _%, ph _%, ions _%, moon _%, prayer _%.... everything together just increases the odds of a certain gender. Even for me or others only having 1 gender we are counting on every little bit of the % values to help.

The sperm closest to O still takes sometime to get to the egg but the waiting sperm may have already fertilized the egg...
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UmaJain View Post
    I would think the older guys would be a bit tired since they'd have been swimming for a longer period...??? Poor little, tired guys swimming so hard and for so long and all for nothing when a fresh little guy motors past... I'm not sure...just taking a guess, lol.
    When the sperm gets in the flap tubes it goes into hibernation and when the egg is release something in the body wakes them up... a chemical, vibration, or whatever.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Flava View Post
    Atomic says there are studies show that both type of sperm swim at the same speed and live for the same time. So there is no different in between the 2. Shettles was wrong about it.
    Im also interested about this Q!
    But then why dtd on O-1 if the sperm would win anyway from O-3 waiting around? Or the other way why do it O-3 if the sperm of the O-1 would win anyway because it's closer?
    So why not just do it once if the sperms from the other BD don't matter? or do they have the same chance no matter what? This is confusing
    Your ph at the time can slow down the sperm... low ph allows the girl sperm to pass but not the boys.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ITA, that's what confusing to me. If sperm live the same amount of time and swim at the same speed, as some have purported, why bother with doing anything but day before or day of O, and controlling for all the other variables... (diet, CM, ions, supplements). The NEJM article is what is getting me to think it doesn't matter, ( in fact they say "although only 6 percent of the pregnancies could be firmly attributed to sperm that were three or more days old. ")

My concern with this study is that it IS a small sample. I would want to see a sample with thousands of women to feel more confident...anyone know of any more studies?

Here's the full text though. It's an intersting read. Apologies if this has been posted already.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...99512073332301
    Last edited by fourwildones; May 25th, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoet20 View Post
    Your ph at the time can slow down the sperm... low ph allows the girl sperm to pass but not the boys.
    But we used bsf and ew so suppose to have high ph and still got a girl

And then why ppl say Ph don't really matter? I think atomic said (if I remember good) that there is no study that prove about that ph really helps?
    +1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast