Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Empty calories = candy? Have to get the calories up!

After summarizing my first week + a few days with LE-diet i realize I first went out thinking I should eat very little and healthy. I thought sugar was a big NONO, as it usually is in diets. But when trying to track my protein it came clear that it was soooo hard to eat "real" food and keep the limits for protein and minerals and still reach up to 1300-1500 calories.

What should I do to keep calories up and protein/fat down? Eat candy with lots of sugar and little fat?

Today my plan is to eat this:

No breakfast, but 1-2 cups of coffe (black or with very little skimmed milk)

12.00 Lunch: Spaghetti (175 g cooked) with pastasauce (cheese flavour) and a few pices of broccoli.

17.30 Dinner: 2 corn tortillas (not homemade) with iceberg sallad, low fat creme fraice (5%), 2 tbs taco sauce, 30 g low fat cheese.

This gives me 880 calories, 41 g protein and 24 g fat. What should I do to get cals up? Did I get the LE-diet all wrong?

Do the rest of you eat candy or cookies or things like that? Drink soda?

*a bit confused*
    Last edited by Marika; February 25th, 2014 at 03:51 AM.
    Gorgeous 4 6 and unfortunately in jan 2014. Swayed pink but got a lovely little in jan 2015. Now expecting an OOOPS! baby, according to Panorama test a

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I purchased the meal-plan. There you find concrete meal ideas and also many examples on how to up your calories without going over limits in fat and protein. It is really well worth the money (at least for me).

TTC pink HT in 2019

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Full sugar soda (not diet) has lots of great empty cals, as well as low fat or fat free candy. Pop tarts, little Debbie cakes, twizzlers.... Basically low fat/fat free junk food is a great way to up calories. I also drink white wine as empty cals and the reduced fertility may sway pink.
    2010 2012 2015--home water birth VBA2C!!
    praying for one last

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am curious how there is 41 grams of protein in all of that?! I eat similar things and struggle to get 30 grams of protein! What am I doing wrong???
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Different brands of pasta have drastically different protein amounts. Plus the cheese flavored pasta sauce may or may not have real cheese at all, fake flavoring with no protein or real cheese has a lot of protein.
    2010 2012 2015--home water birth VBA2C!!
    praying for one last

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie85 View Post
    I am curious how there is 41 grams of protein in all of that?! I eat similar things and struggle to get 30 grams of protein! What am I doing wrong???
    I am surprised too! I use the application "Lifesum" (called Shape up before) to track all my food and I am not sure if it is totally accurate.

I eat the normal pasta that we have always eaten (Barilla, 12 g protein/100 g) and just Uncle Bens rice. I live in Sweden so many of the Brands and food you mention is totally new and unknown for me. We really don't seem to have all the choices that you have in US and UK and the food do not have all the nutritions written out on the packages.

The cheese flavoured sauce has 4.5 g of protein in it (and 8% fat) and I used about 60 grams. It seemed like a good option when I bought it. I

Do you think I am (or Lifesum is) calculating this wrong? Maybe I should double check with some other program...
    Gorgeous 4 6 and unfortunately in jan 2014. Swayed pink but got a lovely little in jan 2015. Now expecting an OOOPS! baby, according to Panorama test a

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Cockatoo View Post
    I purchased the meal-plan. There you find concrete meal ideas and also many examples on how to up your calories without going over limits in fat and protein. It is really well worth the money (at least for me).
    I am sure it is great! I 'm just not sure a meal plan would be easy to make for me here in Sweden, a lot of the food and supplements isn't available. We really don't have as many options as you seem to have, like low protein stuff etc. I've tried to find it but it seems to be more used by medical centres if having kidney problems...

And I don't wanna get obsessed with the food thing, I just wanted to make an easy non-stressing sway attempt and now I find myself totally confused and stressed over what to eat and not.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by carmella_marie View Post
    Full sugar soda (not diet) has lots of great empty cals, as well as low fat or fat free candy. Pop tarts, little Debbie cakes, twizzlers.... Basically low fat/fat free junk food is a great way to up calories. I also drink white wine as empty cals and the reduced fertility may sway pink.
    I will so start having a glass of white wine for dinner :-) Had to google all thos things you mentioned. Will try to see if we have anything similar here :-)

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just went through todays meal plan and manually checked and calculated all the foods proteins and calories and it does differ a bit.

Life sum told me todays plan is 954 cal and 40 g protein, but calculating it myself i get 690 calories and 34 g of protein.

From what I can see it is probably the pasta that makes the difference, Lifesum has different alternatives of the same pasta (cooked, cooked with salt, not cooked etc) and from what I can see the numbers differ quite a lot even between "100 g boild" and "100 g boild with salt".

I guess that if just use the app I will get a rough evaluation and I wont be stressed up by over limiting a bit.

During these 10 days I lost 4 lbs so I guess I am at least doing "something low".

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would add in a lot more fruit and vegetables. Low carb veggies are free foods and I fill my boots every day!!

Your fat content looks very low. You could add in some lovely garlic bread with your pasta? or some parmesan cheese? You could also have some veggie soup with your dinner. As that fat content is low you could have a little avocado with it to push up the calories without adding too much protein (although you can have 50g protein and i would recommend sticking to the maximum limits so that you have more to play with later. Personally I stick to 50-60g protein and 30% cals from fat).

Others have chimed in with the empty calories. Gluten free cakes are good too as they are low in protein and lower fat than normal cakes.

I dont have time to write more as i have to start work but it does take a little while to get the hang of the diet and once you do it becomes easier and more enjoyable, I promise!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast