Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Iodine warning AND the most dangerous things for swaying

Update 12-22-17

Hey guys, it's been brought to my attention (thank you Layla!!) that iodine may be something we want to consider adding to our sway as a prenatal-type vitamin. It ~probably~ doesn't sway substantially either way but it is important for fetal brain development. I'm sure you've heard the expression "cretin"; this refers to a type of mental retardation caused by a lack of iodine during pregnancy.

Most people get ample iodine via iodized salt but since you're swaying pink, you may not get as much iodine as you were. Strawberries and dairy foods are considered good sources of iodine, but at least in Australia (not sure about US and UK) farmers are not using iodine to kill germs any longer and so dairy may have less iodine than it did at one time. So it's conceivable that you might end up eating less iodine than you would otherwise. Prepackaged foods do not contain iodized salt and restaurants typically do not use it either. (it's more expensive than reg. salt)

Please note, too much iodine is not good either and thyroid patients, you need to consult with your doctor before taking supplemental iodine as it may not be safe for you. So doublecheck with your doctor to see if he/she feels an iodine supp is necessary.

If you do choose to take an iodine supp, the RDA during pregnancy/breastfeeding is 220-290 mcg a day, so no need to take any more than that (you may want to take LESS because you're already likely getting some via diet anyway.) Please avoid KELP supplements because they can be contaminated with arsenic and other grossness!

ALSO, please EVERYONE READ this essay, it lists the most dangerous things for swaying.
    The MOST dangerous things for swaying
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; December 30th, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just as a FYI - the cretinism issue is for severe iodine deficiency that causes hypothyroidism that is not treated through pregnancy. It would not be caused just by a mild deficiency. Over half a day's iodine can be gotten from one fat free yogurt so I dont think it would be a problem.
    Swayed ! Blessed with a !!
    On the LE diet from October 26, 2011 until BFP 3/21/12. Born November 29, 2012

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life" Proverbs 13:12. Thank you Lord for answering my prayers!!

2004 2007 : expecting

Check out these gorgeous girly nubs!! http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ultr...ss-please.html

My sway.. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...tml#post209481

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Needagirl, I am inclined to agree with you BUT some people's doctors were concerned and it seems that dairy/yogurt may not be a great source of iodine any longer due to the fact that farmers are not using iodine to sanitize their equipment any more.

My thinking is, better safe than sorry, and knowing that some people really may take swaying to extremes, it just seems sensible to consider!

Thank you for your input!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great to see this. I'm currently taking a blackmores folic acid that also has iodine in it. Nothing else, just those two things.
    2005 2007 2011 2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of places that are girl friendly- white bread, corn, green beans, yogurt, ect.
    22 Foods Highest in Iodine | Bembu
    Its A Girl!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The dairy foods are problematic for iodine because the reason they used to be iodine sources are because the dairymen used to clean their equipment with iodine solutions and now they don't.

I strongly advise anyone who does not have a thyroid issue to take supplemental iodine or use iodized salt. Do not rely on iodine in foods on LE Diet.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting! I actually almost never salt my food (except French fries!) and I had a high sodium diet before going on LE but it was all stuff like lean cuisines and frozen prepared meals, pizza, potato chips, etc. I do have iodized salt but I almost never use it. I wonder if I'm low on iodine anyway? ��
    DS1-(2009) DS2-(2011) DD-(2016)

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hex, I would play it safe and take the supps. (unless you have thyroid trouble in which case check with doc first) 150 IU daily starting now and continuing thru entire pregnancy.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No health problems that I know of. I get heart palpitations sometimes especially during pregnancy or premenstrual period but I've been to the doctor several times for it and they've told me it's normal. They tend to go away with increased potassium or magnesium. Ill pick up some iodine. :-) thanks for the advice.
    DS1-(2009) DS2-(2011) DD-(2016)

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    me too!! Sucky huh??? Just spent the last 3 days feeling like I was going to die only to have AF show today and be like oh, yeah. that.

If you can find the kind that is nonkelp that is even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast