Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Abstain bad for sperm quality?

So I was reading through old threads and came across this one... http://genderdreaming.com/forum/tryi...over-35-a.html

My husband is 32, will be 33 in November. I know it said over 35 but my DH is getting close. We are planning on a 10 day abstain and one attempt day before ovulation. Now I'm all worried my DH's sperm will not be healthy. My husband has never smoked a cigarette, eats healthy and rarely drinks. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'll be 30 in Nov btw.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, abstaining can negatively impact sperm. That's why lots of people use frequent release.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    carlierenee - I think at your age the risks to sperm quality are low, HOWEVER, it seems lately the point of view on this site is that ANY frequency patterns don't sway much (if at all). Abstain vs frequent release vs DTD every 4 days seems to matter very little in the pink sway and for the trouble they cause and the possibility of lower sperm quality it's not something I would add to my sway. (Just my opinion, many add it to their sway, and honestly I wouldn't stress about lower sperm quality at your age).
    DS1 (2012)
    Due 7/13/2015 ! Swayed pink and I am blessed to be with and (TWINS!)!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't worry about it at your husband's age. Even at 35 the risks are very low, it's just the age that statistically across the population they begin to increase.

Agree with what BB says - the results we're getting are not showing the abstain to be real effective anyway, so if it's a concern then by all means drop that. Having one attempt in the fertile window seems to be what is really swaying.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it at your husband's age. Even at 35 the risks are very low, it's just the age that statistically across the population they begin to increase.

Agree with what BB says - the results we're getting are not showing the abstain to be real effective anyway, so if it's a concern then by all means drop that. Having one attempt in the fertile window seems to be what is really swaying.
    Thanks Atomic and BB! Helps so much. I will most likely be ovulating CD15 and will be having my one attempt on CD14. I'll have "protected sex" with my husband 2 times before then Last time we had sex/release was CD3.

Instead of starting a new thread, I hope you don't mind me asking another question here. I have been tracking my cycles the last 3 months. This month will be my 4th.My cover line is usually 97.5. The last 3 cycles on CD11 my temp has been 97.2... Before ovulation the highest it would go is 97.4 but this cycle my temps have been so high! Today was CD11 and my temp was 98.34! A whole degree higher than past cycles. I attached a photo for you to see. I have had a cold since Saturday. Minor cough and congestion. And last night I had a large margarita so maybe that is why my temps are so high!? Anyways, I plan to have my one attempt on CD14 still but just am wondering what your thoughts may be. Thanks ahead of time! I so appreciate all your input! Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 12.46.38 PM.jpg

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm no good with charts, sorry, but I do wonder if you've ovulated early. Have you been using OPK yet? A cough can definitely cause spikes but that seems really high. I've ovulated early 2 months on LE (even though my cycles were extremely regular before).
    DS1 (2012)
    Due 7/13/2015 ! Swayed pink and I am blessed to be with and (TWINS!)!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebonnet22 View Post
    I'm no good with charts, sorry, but I do wonder if you've ovulated early. Have you been using OPK yet? A cough can definitely cause spikes but that seems really high. I've ovulated early 2 months on LE (even though my cycles were extremely regular before).
    I'm not on the diet. My husband and I plan on having two more children so I was just doing a very very light sway. If this baby ends up a boy, I will do a heavy sway next baby. I have barely had any discharge and I usually have lots of EWCM before I ovulate. I don't think I've ovulated as I have never ovulating on CD11. I've never used an OPK. Don't actually know how to. If I were to start today, which do you recommend? Especially if I don't want to spend a lot.
    Last edited by carlierenee; September 11th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Even half a drink raises my temp drastically the next day. I would keep the temp for now, but if your next few temps are back down in their previous range, then discard it.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after removìng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably a combo of the drink and the cold. FEel better soon!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by carlierenee View Post
    I'm not on the diet. My husband and I plan on having two more children so I was just doing a very very light sway. If this baby ends up a boy, I will do a heavy sway next baby. I have barely had any discharge and I usually have lots of EWCM before I ovulate. I don't think I've ovulated as I have never ovulating on CD11. I've never used an OPK. Don't actually know how to. If I were to start today, which do you recommend? Especially if I don't want to spend a lot.
    Wondfo - not only are they cheap, but they work the best. Dollar store ones are also ok