Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Advanced digital OPK negative to solid smiley -HELP!

So june was going to be the month and then Af came early last month and sorta messed with timing and figured one more month to get my light sway in couldn't hurt ... So we pushed to July ...my plan was either fr or abstain with one attempt at pos OPK ( and this means solid smiley right?) usually I get 2-3 days of flashing before solid and according to my ovulation app if I were to line up the solid is usually about 36 hours until ovulation ...anyway... Started testing on cd 10 and got 2 days of negative .today is cd 12 and I got a solid smiley - never a flashing one! My app predicts ovulation of Saturday ... This change and the 4-5 day early Af of june now moves my cycle totally - almost 2 weeks earlier than originally thought..so I just feel like I don't really know when I play get Af next month or when o will be ...
    Couple questions - should I run out and buy a non digital OPK and see if it backs up the digital ? And then use this next month as well ? And for next month do I just go with it and still do the one shot at positive OPK? Which I believe would be an almost positive on the cheapy according to the one month I tried to do both?
    Does the digital ever give a false positive ? I have no ewcm( tmi) and no o pains at all and usually have both ?
    The advanced OPK was aupposed to make it easier and honestly they are so confusing !thanks !

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes pos OPK = first solid smiley

That happens ALL. THE. TIME. when swaying for some reason. Your cycle goes wacky and something totally new happens.

That happens fairly often that people go straight to solid without the flashing smiley. But YES, it is absolutely possible that the digital can give a false positive too. (and I am actually not the hugest fan of the digis partially for those two reasons, I agree I think they are WAY MORE confusing than the paper ones and not worth the $$$ at all) What I think you should do in future is have attempt in this case - always have attempt, because while you can get pregnant from an attempt that is a little early, you can't get pregnant if you wait till the egg is dead!! When in doubt, attempt, then either keep testing and be ready to have another attempt at another positive, or switch to the every 4 day method (BD unprotected every 4 days after you think you ovulated, that way you'll be covered in case it is a false positive.

The ovulation apps are COMPLETELY unreliable and they use past cycles to predict future ones, which is a terrible idea that causes tons of trouble for people. At least with the OPK, they are measuring a surge of hormones, even if it can be a false surge, at least it's better than going off what happened in other months to predict the future. So when it comes down to it, give the OPK more weight than the apps.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks atomic! Going to use a cheapy tonight and see if it lines up for "practice" I am also going to keep testing after the 48 hour window on the advanced to see if I get a second surge!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be a false positive, they are quite common especially if you have more concentrated urine one day thsn usual, but true positives can appear suddenly as well and swaying often mucks up our cycles.

If you're in the US, I highly recommend you buy some Wondfo OPKs from amazon, make sure they're from Formosa Medical not another seller as many fakes have been sold lately. Test concurrently with your CBAD and the Wondfos and you should have a better idea if the CBAD is giving a false positive. Also, if the tester stick is smeared on the CBAD, instead of 1-2 distinct lines, that always gives a solid smiley/false positive. The smearing occurs when you oversaturate the stick by peeing on it or dipping it for too long.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period