Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progesterone supplement the month before an attempt?

Ladies,

I just miscarried in May and my doc advised me to wait until August to TTC. She thinks I might have lost the baby due to low progesterone.

I have a prescription for tablets, but I am wondering if I should take them this cycle (while we're NOT trying to get pregnant) to help increase progesterone for my first sway attempt in August??

Does Progesterone leave your body too quickly to make a difference, or would it help my sway? TIA!
    Luckiest mama to a (2011) and my sweet (2013 unmedicated VBAC).

Missing my Angel Babies (1/2015), lost due to twin partial molar pregnancy. Another , June 2015.. rainbow 2016.

Hoping for a rainbow girl in 2017; PGD/IVF.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It would be a total waste to take P in a non TTC cycle. Though I'm not a fsn of supplemental P in natural/non-IVF cycles to begin with. Usually when you miscarry due to low P, supplementing doesn't help. I'd suggest you try to get Clomid/Femara to boost O/egg quality/P levels from the beginning so you never have low P and don't need P supplementation. Unfortunately most of the time drs advise P supplements just do they can feel like they're doing something/to try to reassure patients, even though it very rarely helps prevent miscarriage. Low P is associated eith miscarriage NOT bc it causes it, but bc unhealthy/weak fetuses/placentas don't produce enough P. Taking extra P doesn't help improve the root problem.

Fortunately, you are very likely to conceive a healthy baby in the future and have no need for P anyway.
    Last edited by maidentomother; July 3rd, 2015 at 06:22 AM.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

3. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^^ agree 110% with maiden. Taking progesterone at the wrong part of the cycle is a terrible idea that will delay ovulation and can possibly even make cysts develop.

THe reason why progesterone is low in a pregnancy, 99 times out of 100 is because something was wrong with the developing fetus and that is how the body ends a pregnancy when it senses that the pg is not normal. It gradually drops progesterone and then the pregnancy ends. I am not sure why your doctor explained it to you like that, maybe she was trying to spare your feelings or something but that was not really an accurate thing for her to have said.

progesterone swaying pink WAS NEVER PROVEN or shown even the slightest amount to work and in fact the claims that they make on "the other site" are impossible. They don't even understand what the guy who had the theory was saying (just because someone has low estrogen and high progesterone does NOT mean that high progesterone is what is swaying, it's very likely low estrogen that matters, and without having progesterone high enough to get and stay pregnant, one would never even get pregnant to begin with, if that makes sense...basically anyone with lowered fertility but still high enough to get and stay pregnant = more girls)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ