Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folic acid

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Folic acid

Hi

Ive had a browse through the forums and i haven't found the amount of folic acid everyone has been taking for girl sway. I got 5mg (there was 0.5mg) aswell so i want to make sure I am taking the right amount.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, I am surprised you found that OTC! I take 4 mg and had to get a script for it! From what I've seen many here take somewhere in the ballpark of 800mcg. I take 4, when TTC and preg, because of my history. I have been told 1000 mcg for the avg population, and 4 mg while TTC/preg for women with a history of babies with ONTDs, is the upper limit of safe BUT given that FA is water soluble (meaning you pee out the excess) I don't know of any issues of taking that amount other than the fact that it has the capability of hiding a B12 deficiency, which can cause nerve damage, by repairing a blood condition which is one of the big first signs of the deficiency without actually correcting the deficiency itself. Unfortunately, I have deficiency issues so I get the "joy" of knowing this stuff lol. The LE diet can make getting a lot of b12 a challenge, if you aren't mindful of foods containing B12, because foods highest in B12 are things like shellfish/crab, red meat, cereals, etc. which are loaded with nutrition and/or protein or fat but there are things you can slide into the diet that do have b12 in them that won't kill your daily cal, fat, protein, etc. goals. For example- low fat milk, eggs, yogurt, etc. I eat a yogurt with a couple pieces of WG toast with SF jelly just about every day and it slides in nicely as a staple first meal of the day and still leaves me tons of wiggle room the rest of the day. Anyway, if you are going to take that amount of FA please just be mindful to include some B12 in your diet to cover your bases.
    Our family is complete
    My precious babies: 2006 , 2010 2016
    Too beautiful for earth: 2009- (20+5). 2015- (8w), CP, (8w)

Please pardon typos~ Nursing @ keyboard

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I am d12 deficient (since weight loss op in 2012) and ive been needing the injections (can they effect cycles? Im usually 28 since op but heading up to c 33) my overall goal is to be more acidic and increase fat metabolism in the healthiest mannner i can.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you mean can the deficiency affect cycles?? I am not sure how it affects a cycle itself as they (my docs) keep a close eye on my nutrient levels so I have never been so deficient in B12 to know and compared to before my still long cycles are micro cycles compared to what some of my cycles used to be. BUT (and I don't want to scare you... they say the same thing about PCOS and lots of "cysters" do just fine!) I do know that it is related to both infertility and recurrent loss because after my most recent loss they were quick to check my levels for any deficiencies that might have explained it.
    Our family is complete

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know my b12 is related to my weight loss surgery as i never had a problem with it prior. I had my last 2 DS's after my surgery too.

Ive been 28 day cycles since losing the weight over 2012 but.it has been creeping back over the last few years and im wondering if that has caused my cycles to change this time. I was previously 35days. So diet and exercise will hopefully help that abit. But im off to the.drs this afternoon so will see what she says.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't mind me asking, which surg did you have? I'm assuming given the deficiency issues you had RNY or DS, correct?It could also just be metabolically related. The surgery resets your metabolism turning it into a well oiled machine, but not forever. Once those villi grow back your metabolism shifts again because the body begins to absorb carbs, fat, etc. again(which is why some regain their weight... no accusations intended toward anyone in this predicament- it is just easy for it to sneak up on you). Maybe the change in your cycle length is just evidence of a shifting metabolism, particularly if you had issues such as insulin resistance before surg that creates problems that directly affect your cycle. Does that make sense?
    Our family is complete

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep it does. I did have insulin resistance prior to surgery and i have been persistently hot these past 6 weeks, had my thyroid tested but all good. So um thinking it may be shift back to the 35 day cycles. Dr seems to think so aswell. I had a stomach sleeve done not sure what the American terminolgy would be but basically most of stomach removed and stitched/stapled back up. Was a successful op with nil complications so far apart from vitamin deficiencies which were anticipated.

Is there any recommendations of supps for DH to take?

Thanks

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally think Folate (1000mcg or thereabouts) is quite superior to FA, so you might look into that. Bc it is a more natural form and better absorbed you don't need as high doses as FA.

DH can take Olive Leaf Extract (OLE) and/or Licorice Root (LR).

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after removìng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

9. Likes netti02 liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by netti02 View Post
    Yep it does. I did have insulin resistance prior to surgery and i have been persistently hot these past 6 weeks, had my thyroid tested but all good. So um thinking it may be shift back to the 35 day cycles. Dr seems to think so aswell. I had a stomach sleeve done not sure what the American terminolgy would be but basically most of stomach removed and stitched/stapled back up. Was a successful op with nil complications so far apart from vitamin deficiencies which were anticipated.

Is there any recommendations of supps for DH to take?

Thanks

In America it has many names- VSG, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, "the sleeve" and so on. I am quite surprised to hear you have a vitamin deficiency with the sleeve as it doesn't affect the absorption of nutrients due to intestinal rerouting like the RNY and DS do. That is interesting...

As far as supps I know atomic won't be able to give you suggestions without more info about hubby (overall health, heart health, known fertility issues, etc.). My hubby has a family history of sudden heart failure so he can't take a lot of the options. He just takes olive leaf extract.
    Our family is complete

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer you guys take 1200-1600 MICROgrams so that is a pretty big dose there. You would want the .5 mg instead.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

12. Likes twointow83 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast